PDA

View Full Version : Thistledown two days to pay up or close

Teacherdan
06-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Plain Dealer article today indicates that if Magna doesn't come up with $36,000 by tomorrow, the state racing commission will shut them down. Fear is the closing will be permanent.

cj's dad
06-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Plain Dealer article today indicates that if Magna doesn't come up with $36,000 by tomorrow, the state racing commission will shut them down. Fear is the closing will be permanent.

Now that is good news except for the folks that work there !!

Sid
06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Coming soon to a TV set near you: a North American racing scene comprising three or four racetracks, plus a dozen slots palaces where racing is conducted, temporarily, while the bean-counters prepare a five-year report.

CryingForTheHorses
06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Now that is good news except for the folks that work there !!

Why is it good???

cj
06-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Why is it good???

Simple, we have too many tracks for too few horses. The overabundance of tracks is helping kill the sport.

CryingForTheHorses
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Simple, we have too many tracks for too few horses. The overabundance of tracks is helping kill the sport.

I see your point,Shame all them people lose out and a real shame as a lot of the horses cant compete anywhere else...So I guess you will see a lot of horses either killed or retired...Even less horses.......I dont see that so SIMPLE
Just my opinon

Sid
06-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I dont see that so SIMPLE
And you are absolutely correct.

maxwell
06-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Saved by the bell.

I guess Frank found 36 grand in an old pair of jeans kickin' around the house. :rolleyes:

SMOO
06-18-2009, 07:59 AM
:ThmbUp:

Fewer tracks means fuller fields and better races to bet. Less trainers pressed into running horses that should not be running.

In the long run the best thing for the industry as a whole & the players even more.

lamboguy
06-18-2009, 08:25 AM
:ThmbUp:

Fewer tracks means fuller fields and better races to bet. Less trainers pressed into running horses that should not be running.

In the long run the best thing for the industry as a whole & the players even more.i am going to have to take the opposite view. i think that more horses and more tracks would be great for racing. BUT not under the circumstances of the way things are run today. i have been preaching a complete revamping of the game. it might mean that you would have to close all the underperforming racetracks and have less racing dates before you could clean up this game. this game has become completly infested with bad problems that hit the root of the game. this sport has to be a viable sport to all the people that live here.

Tom
06-18-2009, 09:11 AM
What is better....two $4,000 nw2lt claimers with 6 horses each or one with 12?

Trainers/owners would rather have two purses, but then trainer and owners and bettors are not in the game for the same reasons.

wisconsin
06-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Been paid and they will stay open......

mountainman
06-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Fear is the closing will be permanent.

Wouldn't bet on it. TD dies harder than a 600 yr old vampire.

46zilzal
06-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Want FULL fields? Look at Woodbine

CincyHorseplayer
06-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I have bet Thistledown profitably for years mainly because I end up following trainers and horses around the state from my hometown River Downs and 7/7 cards.I hope they don't close.

It's a total illusion that closing this particular track will better the game IMO.These horses are also rans in another program so if that makes the game better so be it.For those of us that know the circuit it just messes up the gameplan.

Citation1947
06-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Been paid and they will stay open......

Lol...a family member of mine is training a small string there. He is ready to pack up and ship out anyhow. Those guys are starving.

CincyHorseplayer
06-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Lol...a family member of mine is training a small string there. He is ready to pack up and ship out anyhow. Those guys are starving.

Unless they have allowance class horses they aren't going to win much at Presque Isle Downs or Indiana Downs.If so they wouldn't be there.Ohio is the welfare system for horsemen.Take those horses out of state and they don't win a N2L claimer with their 39 BSF at Md Sp Wt:lol:

It's still profitable knowing who's who and what's what!