PDA

View Full Version : The Mother Goose....

joanied
06-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Jackson made the announcment...RA runs there for her next start. No doubt the Belmont officials are jumping for joy...I sure hope RA draws a big crowd...I'll be curious to see how much advertising NYRA will do.
I'll also be very curious to see how many fillies will enter...and I hope that this time, Calvin decides to take a few mounts before the Mother Goose is run.
And, needless to say...I can't wait:jump:

MickJ26
06-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Jackson made the announcment...RA runs there for her next start. No doubt the Belmont officials are jumping for joy...I sure hope RA draws a big crowd...I'll be curious to see how much advertising NYRA will do.
I'll also be very curious to see how many fillies will enter...and I hope that this time, Calvin decides to take a few mounts before the Mother Goose is run.

NYRA does very little by way of promotion. It'll be the standard issue Saturday afternoon crowd, backyard filled with families, if it doesn't rain. I'll be there.
I'd be shocked if Borel has any other mounts that day besides Rachel; with Dominguez, Coa, Johnny V, Prado, Kent, Castellano et. al. riding. Maybe Contessa might throw a couple of mounts his way.

joanied
06-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, maybe I'm just being overly cautious...after all, Calvin knows now that riding at Belmont is a 'horse of a different color', so to speak:) ...and maybe the riding the Belmont Stakes is enough...but, I can't help myself...I'll be worried about this race until they load into the gate;)

If NYRA doesn't promote the Mother Goose & Rachel...then they are bigger idiots than I've given them credit for:bang:
Hope you have a camera, Mick...so you can put photos of her up here:)

MickJ26
06-17-2009, 02:17 PM
The NYRA folks don't seem to be interested in promoting the sport to the casual sports fan. They didn't do it with Curlin and likely won't with Rachel either. If it's a nice day out, the backyard will be full. It doesn't matter who happens to be running that day.

Calvin Borel doesn't really ride enough in New York for his agent to make inroads with guys like Kiaran, Shug, Pletcher, Mott, etc. The novelty of having Calvin Borel ride your horse one time probably isn't worth it to the smaller stables.

I can take some pictures, but would need help posting them.

OTM Al
06-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Promotion of an individual horse is not a very smart thing to do if you think of it. The only honest thing you can say is that a horse is expected to run, but it any case, anybody that follows this sport knows how easy it is for a horse to go off his feed or get a cough or a myriad of other issues the day before a race. So then what do you do with a bunch of people who showed up to see a particular horse only to learn he isn't running? If Derek Jeter gets hurt, you still see the Yankees, but it just doesn't work like that in racing. To promote that she IS going to run in a particular race on a particular day just isn't smart.

joanied
06-17-2009, 02:46 PM
The NYRA folks don't seem to be interested in promoting the sport to the casual sports fan. They didn't do it with Curlin and likely won't with Rachel either. If it's a nice day out, the backyard will be full. It doesn't matter who happens to be running that day.

Calvin Borel doesn't really ride enough in New York for his agent to make inroads with guys like Kiaran, Shug, Pletcher, Mott, etc. The novelty of having Calvin Borel ride your horse one time probably isn't worth it to the smaller stables.

I can take some pictures, but would need help posting them.

Ohwell...that's par for the course, I guess...and OTM made a good point...if everyone comes out to see Rachel run, and they scratch her...there would be hell tp pay!!

I'm just glad she's gonna run and we don't have to wait until July or something...can't wait to see who the entries will be...I doubt Baffert will run Gabby's Golden Gal...

Mick...I don't know how to post photos on here either...unless you have a URL for them, I have no clue...which drives me nuts...I've tried getting a photo into a post here, but can't get it done.
Maybe you were planning on taking a camera anyway...if I was you...I would!!
Don't worry about it:ThmbUp:

FenceBored
06-17-2009, 03:03 PM
NYRA does very little by way of promotion. It'll be the standard issue Saturday afternoon crowd, backyard filled with families, if it doesn't rain. I'll be there.
I'd be shocked if Borel has any other mounts that day besides Rachel; with Dominguez, Coa, Johnny V, Prado, Kent, Castellano et. al. riding. Maybe Contessa might throw a couple of mounts his way.

Ah, but Asmussen isn't a small operation like Chip Wooley. If Jess Jackson wants to be sure that Calvin has a little experience over the track, you might see more horses than Rachel making the trip up there, and Calvin riding a few that way.

Rocklane
06-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Is it a given that Borel gets the mount? There doesn't seem to be much loyalty among connections in this game.

MickJ26
06-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Other than Rachel, how many horses does Jess have in training?
I'm sure Steven A. could bring in a horse or two from Texas or Louisiana, but, they'd be for his other clients.

the little guy
06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/104747.html

Marketing Rachel

Co-owner Jess Jackson's announcement Wednesday that Rachel Alexandra would make her next start in the Grade 1 Mother Goose here on June 27 gives the New York Racing Association more than a week to promote the race.

And promote it they shall.

According to Neema Ghazi, NYRA's director of marketing, several things are in the works to alert fans of Rachel Alexandra's New York debut. Ghazi said an e-mail blast will be sent out to 50,000 fans in the Tri-state area, promoting the race. Ghazi said there will be free admission to all women on Mother Goose Day, and there will be a giveaway of 10,000 pink bracelets with Rachel Alexandra's name on them.

Ghazi said NYRA hopes to have a presence on both of New York's sports radio stations, as well as several advertisements in Long Island-based newspapers and an online presence on the industry's three major trade websites.

NYRA.com will soon launch something called Rachel's Sandbox, which will offer lifetime past performances as well as video links to her races. It will be similar to Curlin's Corner, which NYRA used last year to promote Curlin's three races in New York.

BUD
06-17-2009, 09:58 PM
That is cool-To quote my kids way cool.

Marketing Rachel

Co-owner Jess Jackson's announcement Wednesday that Rachel Alexandra would make her next start in the Grade 1 Mother Goose here on June 27 gives the New York Racing Association more than a week to promote the race.

According to Neema Ghazi, NYRA's director of marketing, several things are in the works to alert fans of Rachel Alexandra's New York debut. Ghazi said an e-mail blast will be sent out to 50,000 fans in the Tri-state area, promoting the race. Ghazi said there will be free admission to all women on Mother Goose Day, and there will be a giveaway of 10,000 pink bracelets with Rachel Alexandra's name on them.

Ghazi said NYRA hopes to have a presence on both of New York's sports radio stations, as well as several advertisements in Long Island-based newspapers and an online presence on the industry's three major trade websites.

NYRA.com will soon launch something called Rachel's Sandbox, which will offer lifetime past performances as well as video links to her races. It will be similar to Curlin's Corner, which NYRA used last year to promote Curlin's three races in New York.

DanG
06-17-2009, 11:21 PM
IMHO: Bull-Hockey to those who say great horses don’t make fans and potentially future gamblers in our game.

Hats off to NYRA for making the effort.

Cholly
06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Rachel Alexandra’s entry here is likely a tell of their future plans. With Curlin, they tried to get the horse familiar with a track before the real test. I’d say their year-end goal is either The Jockey Club or The Beldame, where they’d be calling out Zenyatta.

Can’t be sure how they’ll fill out her dance card otherwise, but it’s a given she won’t be at the Breeder’s Cup to run on synthetic.

MickJ26
06-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Marketing Rachel

Wow, Andy, I'm impressed. It's tough convincing an old cynic like me.
I'd still like to see a Times Square billboard, though.

miesque
06-18-2009, 10:20 AM
The pink bracelet idea is nauseating which combined with the free admission for women had me rolling my eyes when reading about it. But its nice to see that a PR effort is actually being made.

cj's dad
06-18-2009, 10:25 AM
The pink bracelet idea is nauseating which combined with the free admission for women had me rolling my eyes when reading about it. But its nice to see that a PR effort is actually being made.

WHAT ??:faint:

joanied
06-18-2009, 02:10 PM
:jump: hey, hey, hey...I'm happy someone:) here was wrong about NYRA and it's promotion of Rachel...and I hope it pays off with a huge crowd. Free admission for the gals is a good idea...why not? Should allow for a few 1,000 more women in the crowd...and for the men taking their wives, girlfriends...well, talk about a 'cheap' date:D !!
Pink is my least favorite color...I don't own one thing with the color pink in it...but I'd love to have one of the pink Rachel bracelets to go with the one's I have for Barbaro & Eight Belles...alas, I'm stuck in Wyoming:faint:

Still looking forward to seeing who else enters...and ideas from you guys?

joanied
06-18-2009, 02:12 PM
IMHO: Bull-Hockey to those who say great horses don’t make fans and potentially future gamblers in our game.

Hats off to NYRA for making the effort.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :)

cj's dad
06-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I am assuming that the pink bracelets have something to do with the fight against breast cancer. If not, then I don't quite understand the need to issue them to the ladies at Belmont Park that day. It's pretty obvious who the women are that will be in attendance that day. Well, maybe not.....:rolleyes:

46zilzal
06-18-2009, 04:20 PM

On the days when old John Henry ran at Anita, the crowd was four deep at the rail of the walking ring..................TWO races before he came out.

miesque
06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I am assuming that the pink bracelets have something to do with the fight against breast cancer. If not, then I don't quite understand the need to issue them to the ladies at Belmont Park that day. It's pretty obvious who the women are that will be in attendance that day. Well, maybe not.....:rolleyes:

From the way I read the article, its simply a pink bracelet with Rachel Alexandra's name on it and has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of cause, its lets give the girls a pink trinket to take home with them. :rolleyes:

As for my prior comment, I absolutely and utterly despise pink.

cj's dad
06-18-2009, 04:43 PM
From the way I read the article, its simply a pink bracelet with Rachel Alexandra's name on it and has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of cause, its lets give the girls a pink trinket to take home with them. :rolleyes:

There was a 5k run for breast cancer awareness here a few weeks ago and the runners wore pink bracelets and so i assumed that was the reason behind the giveaway - my apologies

DanG
06-18-2009, 05:39 PM
On the days when old John Henry ran at Anita, the crowd was four deep at the rail of the walking ring..................TWO races before he came out.
So true 46; and not every horse that can break the sound barrier has that star quality either imo. Certain ones just wreak charisma like John Henry, Secretariat, Man O’ War, Phar Lap, and Makybe Diva and on and on.

My best friend’s wife became a huge Big Brown fan and brought her entire staff to Monmouth. One of the husbands still attends the races some weekends after never going before in his life.

We saw that “it” factor that Rachel has today at Royal Ascot in the 8yo Yeats. He brought the house down with his 4th straight Gold Cup win. (Great replay and post race if you get a chance to see it.)

point given
06-18-2009, 06:16 PM
"From the way I read the article, its simply a pink bracelet with Rachel Alexandra's name on it and has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of cause, its lets give the girls a pink trinket to take home with them. :rolleyes:

As for my prior comment, I absolutely and utterly despise pink."

Exactly as I read it. Girls = pink Boys = blue and I detest pink too, reminds me of Pepto Bismo, sickening.

I'd guess 20,000 attendance , since the Belmont drew 50,000 . PJ Campo guessed a 5-6 horse field including RA. Also guessing that the Haskell at Monmouth will be trying hard to land her for August 2nd if they don't point her to the Alabama at Saratoga.

46zilzal
06-18-2009, 06:24 PM
We saw that “it” factor that Rachel has today at Royal Ascot in the 8yo Yeats. He brought the house down with his 4th straight Gold Cup win. (Great replay and post race if you get a chance to see it.)
The last true flat stamina test on earth...The Ascot Gold Cup at, are you ready for this????, TWENTY furlongs.

We sorely are in need of a new Display Handicap, Fort Erie has the closing day Tour de Fort but it is for old claimers, as our late season stamina series here.

The Thoroughbred was bred for SPEED over a distance. I want to see the old Jockey Club Gold Cup and the old SUNSET to go back to two miles on the main track, so that the wheat could be separated from the chaff.

WITHOUT stamina tests at graded stakes levels, we are OUT OF BALANCE.

PaceAdvantage
06-18-2009, 06:59 PM
I'd guess 20,000 attendance , since the Belmont drew 50,000 .No way...I would be shocked out of my shoes if they get anywhere near 20,000 for the Mother Goose.

Depending on if they give anything away (spinners), you're probably looking at between 10,000 and 12,000 max....

RobinFromIreland
06-18-2009, 08:45 PM
I think some people here are being a bit too cynical.

My girlfriend's first experience of horse racing was this year's Derby. By the Preakness, she was captivated with the upcoming Rachel Alexandra - Mine That Bird rivalry, and the race couldn't have worked out better.

We attended the Belmont Stakes together and had a fabulous day out, despite the non-participation of Rachel. My girlfriend told her girl friends about Rachel's story and they too are now interested. She desperately wants to see Rachel Alexandra run in the flesh and the idea of free entrance and a small free gift is very much appreciated. With it being a wristband-type bracelet (as I imagine it will be) the NYRA are targeting a younger female generation, the very generation many here recognize as not being represented in racing at all.

Not everyone is a die-hard handicapper. If the NYRA can make a few extra younger and female fans, who would normally never attend the track, feel like their attendance is appreciated, then that can only be good thing.

Of course, if others have suggestions, rather than criticisms, about how this event should be marketed, I would be very interested to listen to them.

BUD
06-18-2009, 09:05 PM
One of The Lads that comes to my home to make legal wagers and plays along at times with the HANA Pool Party ---He on his first date--Happens to be my Wifes Better Friend they Went to Suffolk Downs-Same type of story from Robin---She Loved it--She is a Huge fan--Loves to watch it on TV rather see it live tho---

If You don't try to get new fans your destined to fail before you dont start--Try to get new fans and hey maybe some stick around--

Before I was married my wife could not tell me MLB from NHL From NBA-NFL----Now when I was well--We would see the Pats --NASCAR--Devils--Sox----The Girl is definatly a Sports Fan----Did the NFL come along and market her in? No-----It was my enthusiasm---And to grow this game--Sure they will Market it but it will only grow on OUR coorperate enthusiasm---We as a whole WILL grow this Game---

joanied
06-19-2009, 04:16 PM

cj'sdad...Yes, I assume the same thing...regardless, even though they are pink (UGH), Rachels name is on them and I want one:jump:

I think maybe you are right...it'll be obvious who the women are...well, maybe not;) :rolleyes: ;)

joanied
06-19-2009, 04:19 PM

I still want one :faint: :eek: ....I'm with you, miesque...I despise pink too...barf:ThmbDown:

Watcher
06-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Reason for the pink RA bracelets:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51321/rachel-alexandra-to-race-for-a-cure?id=51321&source=rss

joanied
06-19-2009, 06:40 PM
I got the NYRA ad for the Mother Goose today in my emails...have you seen it?
Pretty damned cool, IMO...has "Is she the ONE" written over her & Calvin in a head on shot with Calvin's finger up to signal #1...it's simple and to the point...I love it and it's great, and smart, for NYRA to promote this race.
Rachel better win:eek:

Some good stories in the thread about getting new fans out to the track...every ONE person that goes for a special event, like this one, and has a wonderful time and goes back...is one more fan we catch.:jump:

joanied
06-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Reason for the pink RA bracelets:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51321/rachel-alexandra-to-race-for-a-cure?id=51321&source=rss

Thanks, Watcher.

Doesn't Rachel look..."Pretty in Pink" :)

classhandicapper
06-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I hate to be such a downer because I think Rachel is a spectacular 3YO filly, but I would much rather have seen her get a few more weeks off before coming back. She's had a long campaign and that last race was a killer for her. They may squeeze the lemon dry before the late summer races and Breeders Cup.

WinterTriangle
06-21-2009, 11:15 PM

4th straight at 20F? :eek: Obviously, thre's somebody left in the world is breeding for stamina.

WinterTriangle
06-21-2009, 11:41 PM
OH, also thought it interesting, Yeats is an 8 year old, and was racing against horses who were YEARLINGS when he won his first Gold Cup. :)

And, no plans to retire him. And wasn't sent to the breeding shed at 4. That would never happen here. Such a different philosophy.
Why aren't we breeding a few to Sadler's Wells? No doubt, one of great stamina sires.

depalma113
06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I hate to be such a downer because I think Rachel is a spectacular 3YO filly, but I would much rather have seen her get a few more weeks off before coming back. She's had a long campaign and that last race was a killer for her. They may squeeze the lemon dry before the late summer races and Breeders Cup.

It's a paid workout. She's facing three overmatched horses.

Zenyatta To Crush
06-23-2009, 01:27 PM
It's a paid workout. She's facing three overmatched horses.
The place pool on her is gonna be through the roof. I'm not betting against her though. In fact, I'm not betting at all.

fmolf
06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
The place pool on her is gonna be through the roof. I'm not betting against her though. In fact, I'm not betting at all.
why would anyone bet this race she is going to be 1/9 their may be no place or show betting ......

point given
06-23-2009, 05:06 PM
why would anyone bet this race she is going to be 1/9 their may be no place or show betting ......

You don't get 5% at the bank anymore, on the other hand I believe Cocoa Beach ran 4th of 4 at 0.15 at Belmont last weekend having 197 of 215K bet to place on her. I'd think the scenario will be similar this weekend in terms of place betting on RA.

fmolf
06-23-2009, 05:33 PM
You don't get 5% at the bank anymore, on the other hand I believe Cocoa Beach ran 4th of 4 at 0.15 at Belmont last weekend having 197 of 215K bet to place on her. I'd think the scenario will be similar this weekend in terms of place betting on RA.
any one who plays any of these races is to me taking too big a risk for not enough cash....the ride dominguez gave cocoabeach in that race was horrible!why would he try to hold him back when he was tugging at him to run...i think he became discoureaged and gave up on the sticky track!

Zenyatta To Crush
06-23-2009, 05:47 PM
People bet on any races, regardless of how much their return of investment is. I'm not sure why people do, but it always happens. I don't think I remember a 4-horse field having no place pool, do you?

joanied
06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I think it was Dan G that mentioned that 'it' factor...how some horses just have that charisma...all ya gotta do is look at Zenyatta...that little 'dressage' step she does, the way she carries herself...that mare has 'IT' :jump:

As for RA facing only 3 others...it ain't her fualt...seems to me trainers with some good fillies are being pretty chickenshit about running against her...it's my opinion, but there ya go :)

Be interesting to see who get the bigger crowd...NY with Rachel, or CA with 'Z'

Cat Thief
06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
From what I have read they are promoting breast cancer, ladies get free admission and there is some sort of pink bracelet or something given out

fmolf
06-23-2009, 11:23 PM
From what I have read they are promoting breast cancer, ladies get free admission and there is some sort of pink bracelet or something given out
they are promoting breast cancer awareness and the jacksons have made large donations to the susan g komen run for the cure...they are to be commended for this as well as the nyra for trying to get people interested in this wonderful horseIt is too bad it is not a more competitive race with a larger field.you are right their will be a place pool

DanG
06-24-2009, 08:21 AM
I’m not a believer in the paid workout theory in general. All races produce stress to some degree and I think ‘Flashing’ in particular is being short changed here. The one turn suits her fine and she is in top form. Throw in more pace pressure if they send Malibu Prayer hard and this race might be more contentious then we think.

Does 100% of Rachel tear this field a new one…yes; without a doubt…but I agree with Class here in that I would have waiting until July to start her next series of races. (Class; we came up a little short of the 10 million so we could call the shots; or at least I sure did. :D )

BTW: Good points Joanied; the day Zenyatta doesn’t go into her “Lipizzaner strut” is the day her connections say…uh-oh.
http://finalturngallery.com/g2/main.php/d/120986-4/HP07-05-08.jpg

1st time lasix
06-24-2009, 09:34 AM
I’m not a believer in the paid workout theory in general. All races produce stress to some degree and I think ‘Flashing’ in particular is being short changed here. The one turn suits her fine and she is in top form. Throw in more pace pressure if they send Malibu Prayer hard and this race might be more contentious then we think.

Does 100% of Rachel tear this field a new one…yes; without a doubt…but I agree with Class here in that I would have waiting until July to start her next series of races. (Class; we came up a little short of the 10 million so we could call the shots; or at least I sure did. :D )

BTW: Good points Joanied; the day Zenyatta doesn’t go into her “Lipizzaner strut” is the day her connections say…uh-oh.
http://finalturngallery.com/g2/main.php/d/120986-4/HP07-05-08.jpg So Dan as a pick four player are you going to try and beat RA????If she losses to the third otr fourth choice the payout should be significant if anything but the chalk march in the other legs.

DanG
06-24-2009, 09:56 AM
So Dan as a pick four player are you going to try and beat RA????If she losses to the third otr fourth choice the payout should be significant if anything but the chalk march in the other legs.
It depends on what the other legs look like and all the other circumstances when the information is finalized. I was mainly commenting on the insinuation of a virtual walk-over ("public workout") that I don’t believe exists to the degree some think it does. In particular when a filly like 'Flashing can clearly run.

Barring serious unforeseen racing luck; Rachel will figure out a way to win, but she will be put under graded race pressure regardless how effortless her stride appears to be imo.

joanied
06-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Dan G...thanks:ThmbUp: for that photo of 'Z'...awesome. I would have to think that 'Z' has got an incredible personality and must be so interesting to spend time with...she really is the "It Girl' of racing...and IMO, has better legs than Betty Grable ever had:D

Looks like maybe RA will have speed to contend with on Sat. I need to look over the PP's...but as you said, Dan G...I also don't think any race is a 'paid workout'...it sounds good after a horse kicks ass...but it's still a race...they know the difference between a morning work and what they are going to do when walked over in the afternoon...

I just read a headline at DRF...Jackson has declared that RA will not run in any BC races...that really bums me out...I guess he could change his mind like he did with Curlin...but that didn't work out too well...I think even if RA loved the plastic, Jackson would opt out just to defend his stance on synthetic surfaces.
Crap:faint:

PS...you guys mentioned you thought it would be better if they waited some more before running RA again...that's a maybe from me...if she's doing as good as they say...nad her last work sure looked awesome, the best thin to do would be to run her....rather than having her tearing down the barn, maybe running off in the morning, and being so fit & ready to run that she does something to hurt herself...so, I gotta think they are doing the right thing running her on Sat.

DanG
06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Dan G...thanks:ThmbUp: for that photo of 'Z'...awesome. I would have to think that 'Z' has got an incredible personality and must be so interesting to spend time with...she really is the "It Girl' of racing...and IMO, has better legs than Betty Grable ever had:D

I couldn’t agree more Joan but I must point something out. A very trusted PA member tells me that is NOT Zenyatta in that photo. :blush: I want to apologize for trusting the caption and for eyes that aren’t what they used to be. :eek:

depalma113
06-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I couldn’t agree more Joan but I must point something out. A very trusted PA member tells me that is NOT Zenyatta in that photo. :blush: I want to apologize for trusting the caption and for eyes that aren’t what they used to be. :eek:

I would think the stable silks would eaily give that away.

DanG
06-25-2009, 12:48 PM
No doubt, but I don’t memorize silks for whatever reason. My brother can recall hundreds of color combinations and their connections but it’s just something that never really caught my attention. (Other then the handful of famous ones we all know)

I guess it’s why the same colored stakes saddle cloths make me nuts; that and I’m slightly color blind to be honest. OK…that’s it…out of excuses. :D I take full responsibility and my vast internet posting editing team (my yellow lab) will be severely reprimanded. :)

MickJ26
06-25-2009, 01:55 PM

http://finalturngallery.com/g2/main.php/d/120986-4/HP07-05-08.jpg

I'm using Flashing in my pick 4. She had a legit excuse in her only loss. Sure, Rachel towers over this field, but, she could be vulnerable the last 1/16. I'm surprised NYRA is including the Mother Goose in the pick 6 sequence.

joanied
06-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Hey Dan G.... No apologies...you tried... it's not Zenyatta...but hey, it's still a cool photo:) :ThmbUp: :)
I'd have to bet, though...that there are at least a few photos of her doing her thing someplace on line...I hope we get to see the post parade on TVG/HRTV for the Vanity...I'm gonna have my camera ready and if they show the PP, and she does her little step...I'm gonna snap a photo right off the TV screen;)

Have a good one, DanG:)

joanied
06-25-2009, 03:40 PM

Like Dan said...just didn't pay attention to the silks, and wouldn't have known they were the wrong colors anyway:bang: ...it's a good photo, and all I saw was the horse:) ...
and since Dan G uses his Yellow Lab to edit...lucky we even had the photo to look at...with all Labby dogs....editing usually means eating something:lol:

joanied
06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
it's pretty good...I enjoyed it, and hope some of you will too:)

http://www.nyra.com/rachel/index.html

DanG
06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
and since Dan G uses his Yellow Lab to edit...lucky we even had the photo to look at...with all Labby dogs....editing usually means eating something:lol:
:lol::lol:

Wow Joan; you do know your Yellow Labs!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

miesque
06-26-2009, 12:00 AM
:lol::lol:

Wow Joan; you do know your Yellow Labs!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

That has to be not just apply to Yellow Labs, but all Labs. My parents are coming down to house sit/dog sit for me this weekend as they usually do when I leave town and I am always flabergasted at the stuff their Black Lab manages to chew up. Maybe I am just be spoiled having a Doberman, because property destruction is a non-issue with him (notice I said property, not potential intruders :D ).

DanG
06-26-2009, 08:14 AM
That has to be not just apply to Yellow Labs, but all Labs. My parents are coming down to house sit/dog sit for me this weekend as they usually do when I leave town and I am always flabergasted at the stuff their Black Lab manages to chew up. Maybe I am just be spoiled having a Doberman, because property destruction is a non-issue with him (notice I said property, not potential intruders :D ).
Maybe I’ve been lucky in the lab department Miesque / Joan. We had a black lab (17 years!) and she never destroyed anything and my current ‘Dozer’ chewed one coaxial cable once in almost 3 years now. Now that you mention it…he did chew the cord went I went away. They do get incredibly attached to a family.

Love the breed btw if anyone is looking for a great all around dog, but it does help if you have some property for exercise. Sorry for the thread drift; serious dog / animal lover here.

Spendabuck85
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
The Mother Goose will be shown on MSG Plus as part of 1/2 hour special starting at 5 p.m.
Not sure but it may be featuring The Little Guy.

joanied
06-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Maybe I’ve been lucky in the lab department Miesque / Joan. We had a black lab (17 years!) and she never destroyed anything and my current ‘Dozer’ chewed one coaxial cable once in almost 3 years now. Now that you mention it…he did chew the cord went I went away. They do get incredibly attached to a family.

Love the breed btw if anyone is looking for a great all around dog, but it does help if you have some property for exercise. Sorry for the thread drift; serious dog / animal lover here.

Dan G & Miesque....
I know this is gonna get us in trouble...off thread topic...so I'll keep it short...
we hunt Phaseant here, so always have a Labby or 2...Dan, we have Black Labs, but like Miesque said...color doesn't matter...Labby's are Labby's...but, I don't think you'd say they are destructive dogs...in fact, with ours, and we've had several...they won't put anything in thier mouth that cannot be swallowed...what they want is something to eat, not just chew...and they will eat anything...I could tell some 'tails' :D
Miesque...I've had 2 Doberman's in my life...incredible dogs, outstanding, amazing...both of mine were simply the best...Dobies rule:ThmbUp: Labby's are lovey-dovey's:ThmbUp:

Hope PA isn't gonna scold us:eek:

PaceAdvantage
06-27-2009, 07:35 PM
No way...I would be shocked out of my shoes if they get anywhere near 20,000 for the Mother Goose.

Depending on if they give anything away (spinners), you're probably looking at between 10,000 and 12,000 max....Official attendance listed at 13,352

point given
06-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Official attendance listed at 13,352

exceeded your expectations a little

rastajenk
06-27-2009, 09:35 PM
All attendances are padded. That puts his estimate just about right on; maybe even a little higher than reality.

atlasaxis
06-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Official attendance listed at 13,352

Pretty good considering there was no "spinning" going on today. They handed the bracelets out to everyone as you walked thru the turnstile.

atlasaxis
06-27-2009, 09:48 PM
:jump: hey, hey, hey...I'm happy someone:) here was wrong about NYRA and it's promotion of Rachel...and I hope it pays off with a huge crowd. Free admission for the gals is a good idea...why not? Should allow for a few 1,000 more women in the crowd...and for the men taking their wives, girlfriends...well, talk about a 'cheap' date:D !!
Pink is my least favorite color...I don't own one thing with the color pink in it...but I'd love to have one of the pink Rachel bracelets to go with the one's I have for Barbaro & Eight Belles...alas, I'm stuck in Wyoming:faint:

Still looking forward to seeing who else enters...and ideas from you guys?

Joanied, if you haven't been offered one yet, I have a few extra bracelets and would be happy to send you one. Just PM me.

joanied
06-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Joanied, if you haven't been offered one yet, I have a few extra bracelets and would be happy to send you one. Just PM me.

THANK YOU, atlasaxis....some kind person here did offer to get me a bracelet and mail it to me...I very much appreciate your offer:ThmbUp:

PA...what a dismal showing for a gorgeous Sat. with a horse like RA running, they did the PR thing, gave way bracelets, free admission for women...it actually scares me that with the population in that area, they could only get 13,000 people there...very sad.

PaceAdvantage
06-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Pretty good considering there was no "spinning" going on today. They handed the bracelets out to everyone as you walked thru the turnstile.Are you sure people weren't going back for more? They always spin at giveaways....maybe an RA bracelet isn't worthy of a spin or two?

formula_2002
06-28-2009, 10:00 PM

NYRA happen to have the Handicapping Contest that Saturday. That accounted for about 200+ people.

I was stunned at very small crowd of people who came to see her race.
I ask a guard "where are all the people?" He said with the experence of many years in his face.."No More!!"

Case inpoint, I left the contest early and went home to see her race on TV.

PaceAdvantage
06-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I was stunned at very small crowd of people who came to see her race.I don't know why you were stunned. I told you right here they'd get 10-12k max...my guess is they are reporting 13,352 in part because of people who wanted more than one bracelet...lol

joanied
06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't know why you were stunned. I told you right here they'd get 10-12k max...my guess is they are reporting 13,352 in part because of people who wanted more than one bracelet...lol

Hell, it was even worse for the Vanity...a mere 6,000+ came out to see Zenyatta...absolutley pathetic.

miesque
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I was looking at the Equibase Charts this morning and what I thought was interesting is that while Belmont had the edge on admission with 13,352 in attendance on Saturday versus 6,907 at Hollywood Park, its a different story when you look at on track handle. Hollywood Park posted on-track handle of $1,750,800 versus $1,357,534 at Belmont Park, so Hollywood Parh had almost 30% more hand with less then 50% of the crowd.

PaceAdvantage
06-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Kind of lends some credence to the "spinners" angle...I wasn't able to attend myself, but someone I know who went also did NOT report much if any "spinner" action...so who knows?

Zenyatta To Crush
07-01-2009, 12:17 AM
I was looking at the Equibase Charts this morning and what I thought was interesting is that while Belmont had the edge on admission with 13,352 in attendance on Saturday versus 6,907 at Hollywood Park, its a different story when you look at on track handle. Hollywood Park posted on-track handle of $1,750,800 versus $1,357,534 at Belmont Park, so Hollywood Parh had almost 30% more hand with less then 50% of the crowd.
Its probably because two thirds of Belmont's attendance consisted of $2 betting women who only came to get in for free, get a free bracelet and see Rachel. The Mother Goose wasn't really a betting race either. Still, its an interesting statistic.

DanG
07-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I was looking at the Equibase Charts this morning and what I thought was interesting is that while Belmont had the edge on admission with 13,352 in attendance on Saturday versus 6,907 at Hollywood Park, its a different story when you look at on track handle. Hollywood Park posted on-track handle of $1,750,800 versus $1,357,534 at Belmont Park, so Hollywood Park had almost 30% more hand with less then 50% of the crowd.
I noticed that as well; I’ve also noticed the P4’s are still very healthy in So Cal and I would never have realized that reading some posts of how the “big players are gone” and the general negative California thread tone.

Not saying they don’t have serious issues (both in and out of racing); but as usual…the facts are much closer to the median then the provincial fringe imo.

lamboguy
07-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I was looking at the Equibase Charts this morning and what I thought was interesting is that while Belmont had the edge on admission with 13,352 in attendance on Saturday versus 6,907 at Hollywood Park, its a different story when you look at on track handle. Hollywood Park posted on-track handle of $1,750,800 versus $1,357,534 at Belmont Park, so Hollywood Parh had almost 30% more hand with less then 50% of the crowd.13k people for what i believe to be the best track in north america for a great horse like rachel a.

keenland does 25k on a wed. afternoon, even though they get mostly colllege kids drinking and chasing around good looking gals.

does anyone think that racetracks should try to push their attendance levels?

DanG
07-01-2009, 09:38 AM
does anyone think that racetracks should try to push their attendance levels?
I understand your point and a large part of my brain misses the rush of being at the track with all the stimulus it gives you….but; they can’t duplicate the home racing office...they just can’t.

For better or for worse; so many players are betting the country (world) from computers and attend live racing as often as they compliment jockeys.

As you said; Keeneland gets the university crowd…Oaklawn gets a very loyal following, Del Mar and obviously Saratoga, but a Tuesday at John Doe Downs…I wouldn’t know where to start from a marketing perspective.

miesque
07-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I have a somewhat contrarian opinion on the topic of giveaways. I am of the mindset that a giveaway now and then to your loyal customers is a good idea, but it really should be to your loyal customers. If you are giving away items that are nice enough to create any material spinning, well you are just wasting money, since those items are obviously worth more then the price of admission and I would argue you are negatively impacting your regular customers due to the presence of those spinners. Now if there is not a material amount of spinners and handle is bumped up enough, then the giveaway is obviously worth it, but admission alone does not dictate the financial success of such a promotion (this is where the Marketing and Finance Departments differ in their outlooks). For example, I bet the free admission and giveaway at Belmont on Saturday was probably deemed a great success by the Marketing Department on Monday morning, while there was probably at least one or two in the Finance Department grumbling (probably the same people that when putting together the budget thought it was a better idea to have TV coverage on MSG2 instead of ESPN, because they are practically the same and one is cheap) that not only did they pay for a giveaway that was distributed to people coming in without admission, but also there was a negative win pool (helped out at least in part by those coming in free) and they didn’t really help the overall handle all that much.

tucker6
07-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I have a somewhat contrarian opinion on the topic of giveaways. I am of the mindset that a giveaway now and then to your loyal customers is a good idea, but it really should be to your loyal customers. If you are giving away items that are nice enough to create any material spinning, well you are just wasting money, since those items are obviously worth more then the price of admission and I would argue you are negatively impacting your regular customers due to the presence of those spinners. Now if there is not a material amount of spinners and handle is bumped up enough, then the giveaway is obviously worth it, but admission alone does not dictate the financial success of such a promotion (this is where the Marketing and Finance Departments differ in their outlooks). For example, I bet the free admission and giveaway at Belmont on Saturday was probably deemed a great success by the Marketing Department on Monday morning, while there was probably at least one or two in the Finance Department grumbling (probably the same people that when putting together the budget thought it was a better idea to have TV coverage on MSG2 instead of ESPN, because they are practically the same and one is cheap) that not only did they pay for a giveaway that was distributed to people coming in without admission, but also there was a negative win pool (helped out at least in part by those coming in free) and they didn’t really help the overall handle all that much.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I can tell you're in my line of work. We think the exact same way on this subject.

lamboguy
07-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I understand your point and a large part of my brain misses the rush of being at the track with all the stimulus it gives you….but; they can’t duplicate the home racing office...they just can’t.

For better or for worse; so many players are betting the country (world) from computers and attend live racing as often as they compliment jockeys.

As you said; Keeneland gets the university crowd…Oaklawn gets a very loyal following, Del Mar and obviously Saratoga, but a Tuesday at John Doe Downs…I wouldn’t know where to start from a marketing perspective.if i was running these place's i would do whatever it takes to get people in them spending their money. the guys that operate these business's think that all they have to do is open the doors up and people will flock in. that hasn't happened for the last 30 years. what have they done to change that?

ZERO

the little guy
07-01-2009, 11:03 AM
probably the same people that when putting together the budget thought it was a better idea to have TV coverage on MSG2 instead of ESPN, because they are practically the same and one is cheap

I do get a kick out of reading the many assumptions people make that are completely incorrect.

miesque
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I do get a kick out of reading the many assumptions people make that are completely incorrect.

I obviously don't know the story behind the story (and I actually don't really care since all I know is I get ESPN, ESPN2, TVG & HRTV, but not MSG2) but I would be surprised if there was not some sort of underlying monetary reason attached to it which is why I made that statement. If its not and that its just a byproduct of some sort of giant pissing match or the general prevailing dysfunctionality the permeates racing then so be it.

the little guy
07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I obviously don't know the story behind the story (and I actually don't really care since all I know is I get ESPN, ESPN2, TVG & HRTV, but not MSG2) but I would be surprised if there was not some sort of underlying monetary reason attached to it which is why I made that statement. If its not and that its just a byproduct of some sort of giant pissing match or the general prevailing dysfunctionality the permeates racing then so be it.

How about......" OK, I was wrong " and leaving it at that.......instead of an obsessive need to insult people incorrectly?

rokitman
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

miesque
07-01-2009, 11:39 AM
How about......" OK, I was wrong " and leaving it at that.......instead of an obsessive need to insult people incorrectly?

I apologize, your explanation on why I was wrong was so thorough and comprehensive, how could I possibly refute it?

rjorio
07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
NYRA's comprehensive coverage of The Mother Goose was superior to any racing telecast ESPN has done.Look into getting MSG+ prior to the Spa meet when the Saturday stakes will be showcased. If not it is your loss.

Relwob Owner
07-01-2009, 06:17 PM

I get a kick out of you saying she is incorrect in your normal, arrogant, condescending manner while providing no backup for your statement. What I get even more of a kick out of is that I know you are going to be steamed at me butting in here but I just couldnt help myself. Many here seem to habitually stick up for you but I feel like most of your posts really arent productive. You say that the post you responded to "insulted" someone or something. well, that is pretty hypocritical, as many if not all of your posts insult the horse racing knowledge of others......funny thing is that you direct your condescending post at one of the best posters on this board IMO whose thoughts deserve much more respect than you gave them....all you had to do was say the facts were wrong and tell why.

There are other well known horse racing people on this forum that use it in such a productive way and I feel as if you do the opposite.....just my opinion

the little guy
07-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I get a kick out of you saying she is incorrect in your normal, arrogant, condescending manner while providing no backup for your statement. What I get even more of a kick out of is that I know you are going to be steamed at me butting in here but I just couldnt help myself. Many here seem to habitually stick up for you but I feel like most of your posts really arent productive. You say that the post you responded to "insulted" someone or something. well, that is pretty hypocritical, as many if not all of your posts insult the horse racing knowledge of others......funny thing is that you direct your condescending post at one of the best posters on this board IMO whose thoughts deserve much more respect than you gave them....all you had to do was say the facts were wrong and tell why.

There are other well known horse racing people on this forum that use it in such a productive way and I feel as if you do the opposite.....just my opinion

Where did I say, or even imply, that I was even close to insulted?

I get a kick out of your post, sorry to steal your line, just like I get a kick out of reading some of the incorrect assumptions people make here ( especially the one where I am somehow annoyed reading anonymous and unfair comments on an internet message board ).

Your discontent with my posting doesn't bother me. Sorry. I will try to work on that. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Relwob Owner
07-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Where did I say, or even imply, that I was even close to insulted?

I get a kick out of your post, sorry to steal your line, just like I get a kick out of reading some of the incorrect assumptions people make here ( especially the one where I am somehow annoyed reading anonymous and unfair comments on an internet message board ).

Your discontent with my posting doesn't bother me. Sorry. I will try to work on that. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

I never said you were insulted...you need to re-read my post....I said...

[I]You say that the post you responded to "insulted" someone or something. well, that is pretty hypocritical, as many if not all of your posts insult the horse racing knowledge of others......

And you did do this, as you told the poster......

Simple point---you insult people with your condescending comments about their knowledge and opinions on this board a lot....doing that is fine but dont get on others for doing so.

the little guy
07-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I never said you were insulted...you need to re-read my post....I said...

[I]You say that the post you responded to "insulted" someone or something. well, that is pretty hypocritical, as many if not all of your posts insult the horse racing knowledge of others......

And you did do this, as you told the poster......

Simple point---you insult people with your condescending comments about their knowledge and opinions on this board a lot....doing that is fine but dont get on others for doing so.

What you fail to see, among other things, is that people get what they give. You will see that I am fairly consistent in that manner.

Relwob Owner
07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
What you fail to see, among other things, is that people get what they give. You will see that I am fairly consistent in that manner.

Thats fine and yes, you are consistent there....what you fail to see(to use your line) is that comments like "what you fail to see, among other things" is your typical annoying move where you say things but dont back them up with any facts....you say "among other things" and dont go into detail-what other things am I not seeing???? Am I inaccurate in my assessment of you getting on someone for insulting, yet doing the same thing yourself? Am I not accurate in saying that your posts are often arrogant and condescending to others and their knowledge of racing. You seem to think it is somehow beneath you to debate on some "anonymous internet chat board" as I believe you call it,but actually engaging in a debate is kind of fun sometimes and you might realize that despite people here treating you like royalty, you could actually be incorrect about something and may even learn some things.

You say people make incorrect assumptions on this board-well, OK, what is the correct one? You seem to have no ability to simply debate or disagree with someone and not stick in some arrogant, condescending remark or say how dumb they are....and yes, I do think someone who is known like yourself could use their presence in a much more positive manner but I guess you choose not to do so....as you said, you cant please everyone.

tucker6
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
There was nothing wrong with Miesque's post. It is a fair accounting of the typical way business is conducted behind the scenes. I should know as I play that game every day of my life. If Belmont does not work in this manner, then so be it. It does not diminish the accuracy of her statement from a business point-of-view. It's just that it may not pertain to Belmont's methods. I see no reason for ruffled feathers or apologies from any position.

As a matter of curiosity, I would like to hear what Andy's methods are at Belmont and the rationales for those decisions. Certainly not to bash him for those decisions, but to understand and gain insight into the mind of a track official and why decisions are made the way they are. Andy, you would be a great asset in this regard.

Tom

the little guy
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
As a matter of curiosity, I would like to hear what Andy's methods are at Belmont and the rationales for those decisions. Certainly not to bash him for those decisions, but to understand and gain insight into the mind of a track official and why decisions are made the way they are. Andy, you would be a great asset in this regard.

Tom

My methods at Belmont are to work hard and try to provide as much information to our customers as I can. This, however, does not include discussing decisions made by my superiors on public message boards. I try to stick to my duties, which are ( primarily ) to try to constantly improve the quality of our handicapping related fields. I am always more than happy to discuss that part of our product and listen to any constructive thoughts that our customers are interested in sharing with me.

joanied
07-01-2009, 08:59 PM
There was nothing wrong with Miesque's post. It is a fair accounting of the typical way business is conducted behind the scenes. I should know as I play that game every day of my life. If Belmont does not work in this manner, then so be it. It does not diminish the accuracy of her statement from a business point-of-view. It's just that it may not pertain to Belmont's methods. I see no reason for ruffled feathers or apologies from any position.

Tom

Well done, Tom :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

You to Relwob :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
Miesque's post made sense to me, and I'm far from a business minded person.

And I wish folks would stop:faint: saying get MSG channel...I'm in the same position as Miesque...I get ESPN, HRTV, TVG...some folks cannot afford to add another channel to their TV packages...and in some places, Like WY, MSG simply is not available.

PaceAdvantage
07-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Isn't it simply a case of ESPN not wanting to show the race? Do you guys think that ESPN came to NYRA and said "Hey, we'd really like to show the Mother Goose," but NYRA said "No way...we don't like nationwide exposure...we'd rather keep it on MSG+"

Are some here actually promoting the position that NYRA is responsible for the race NOT being on ESPN?

Or, maybe I'm totally off base. If so, I'm sure TLG will kick my butt....lol

miesque
07-02-2009, 09:26 AM
I probably should not get into clarifying why I made the comments I did because I did not think they were a big deal at the time. I made the ESPN/MSG2 comment for a much broader reason then just the Mother Goose. I was referring to the fact that the only NY race that will be shown on ESPN (or a Network) through the end of summer is the Travers with the remaining stakes coverage to take place MSG2. In addition, if you think back to the Spring Derby preps, while the Santa Anita Derby and Illinois Derby were getting Network coverage on NBC, the Wood Memorial (which I think most of us can agree is a more important Derby prep then the Illinois Derby) was on MSG2, which seemed a bit odd at the time. ESPN (and Network) coverage does come with a price tag so what appears to be from ESPN/Network coverage (which is widely available) to regional cable coverage (which is available to a very small fraction of the ESPN audience) lends someone like myself who has a dollar and cent mindset to think that such a shift in television coverage is for monetary purposes, did I state it was fact, no. Now that I have gone through my twisted logic as to why I made the statement I made, I sincerely hope I did not offend anybody with my rationale.

slew101
07-02-2009, 12:25 PM
The shift in TV coverage started, I think, when ABC (owner of ESPN) lost the Triple Crown races. They started to scale back ESPN's racing coverage and it's slowly been reduced every year since.

Even ABC getting back the Belmont has not changed their direction on that.

But the summer coverage this year is the fewest I can recall.

But as long as you have TVG, you'll get great Saratoga coverage all summer. Directv's sports pack ($12 a month) offers TVG, not HRTV. But you'll also get MSG+ with the sports pack.

joanied
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I probably should not get into clarifying why I made the comments I did because I did not think they were a big deal at the time. I made the ESPN/MSG2 comment for a much broader reason then just the Mother Goose. I was referring to the fact that the only NY race that will be shown on ESPN (or a Network) through the end of summer is the Travers with the remaining stakes coverage to take place MSG2. In addition, if you think back to the Spring Derby preps, while the Santa Anita Derby and Illinois Derby were getting Network coverage on NBC, the Wood Memorial (which I think most of us can agree is a more important Derby prep then the Illinois Derby) was on MSG2, which seemed a bit odd at the time. ESPN (and Network) coverage does come with a price tag so what appears to be from ESPN/Network coverage (which is widely available) to regional cable coverage (which is available to a very small fraction of the ESPN audience) lends someone like myself who has a dollar and cent mindset to think that such a shift in television coverage is for monetary purposes, did I state it was fact, no. Now that I have gone through my twisted logic as to why I made the statement I made, I sincerely hope I did not offend anybody with my rationale.

Miesque...I sure don't know how you could offend anyone with your post...I think of all topics, we can sure complain about ESPN without insulting someone:) ...basically, all we want is more race coverage...it's obvious we won't get it from ESPN...and neither of us, and I'm sure many more, either cannot get MSG included in any TV package we might have or just can't come up with the extra $$ every month.

I just wish ESPN would air more of the major races that they do...HRTV/TGV are great...but, speaking for myself only, sometimes I want to see more than just the race itself...I want to see interviews, the paddock/walking ring, post parade, interviews after the race...

:) :) :)

tucker6
07-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Miesque...I sure don't know how you could offend anyone with your post...I think of all topics, we can sure complain about ESPN without insulting someone:) ...basically, all we want is more race coverage...it's obvious we won't get it from ESPN...and neither of us, and I'm sure many more, either cannot get MSG included in any TV package we might have or just can't come up with the extra $$ every month.

I just wish ESPN would air more of the major races that they do...HRTV/TGV are great...but, speaking for myself only, sometimes I want to see more than just the race itself...I want to see interviews, the paddock/walking ring, post parade, interviews after the race...

:) :) :)
What?? You mean extreme boxing on ESPN doesn't work for you?? Or 24/7 poker?? :bang: :bang:

... or the world curling finals?? :bang: :bang: :bang: Secretariat can't hold a candle to people brushing ice at fast speeds!!