PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Records-What you learn about yourself

andicap
05-06-2003, 05:03 PM
I have never been very good at keeping records -- a real personal failure that I hope to conquer this year.
Anyway, the recent PA contest was ready made for record keeping
and the results fascinated me. I don't post them here to brag because
58 races sure as hell ain't a legitimate sample, only something
to build on. But it is encouraging

What's weird is that with all the problems you would think the BRIS figures have, I still do well using them The PA tournament gave them a good test and for 5 weeks (plus the 2 qualifying rounds where I played 4 more cards profitably) I made money. It makes me think, would I do better using my formulas with better figures -- like Colts Neck or HTR?

In the win category, there were 58 races. If I passed a race where my top two contenders were both below 3-1 -- a common sense move -- I had 50 bettable races.
Betting horses at 3-1 and over I hit at a 23.7% rate for an ROI of 33%.
And that includes one race where a 30-1 shot had one of my top numbers, but I inexplicably didn't use it. (ah, human error, you can never correct for that.) I hit nothing over 6-1 and still had a profit. Discouraging and encouraging at the same time!! Should I abstain from long shots? I'll do more testing and see. Besides if I had pulled the trigger on the $60 horse that would have changed everything.

Other interesting findings
-- 1 way exactas. enourmously profitable on a very low hit rate: (10%). Interestingly, boxing my top two fared much worse as the reverse exacta only broke even. Again, probably a factor of a very small sample.
-- Place betting was profitable 22% on odds 3-1 and up.
-- My biggest profits came from the rolling pik-3s with the simple 2x2x2.
-- My worst day was on the sloppy track card although I still hit a few pik-3s.
-- I did just as well or better with so-called "chaotic" races like maidens and cheap claimers than with higher class allowances and stakes. I believe bad races might be easier because there are so many lousy horses to eliminate and some of these horses bounce more easily. I also feel more in tune with the form cycles of maidens.
-- My top two decisions were often based on odds -- I would purposely put a favorite in a lower spot to try for a higher payoff in the tournament. Would I handicap the same way when playing with serious money?
Due to lack of time, I used no track bias or in-depth trainer handicapping (other than what's on the BRIS pps). Would spending the extra hour per day on bias/trainer help me that much more at the risk of sleeping through my work day?
-- I handicapped in a two-hour period rather than between the races as I often do when I go to Belmont. This worked out much much better.

I feel I am at a crossroads in my handicapping where I want to get much more serious about it -- the tournament was extremely encouraging to me although I failed miserbly to help my team win since I hit no longshots or big pik 3s.

Again, I'm not trying to brag, just trying to decide how to proceed from here to best use my time. Another problem: I can't sit in front of the PC and look at the odds either during the week or on weekends. Can I use the ML? (just bet on horses 4-1 and up for example).

Research often brings more questions than answers, that's for sure.

penguinfan
05-06-2003, 06:53 PM
Once again I agree with you Andicap, if we don't know where we are winning or losing then how can we expect to get any better at all, record keeping is absolutly key. One thing I do to give me a better balance to my numbers at the end of each week is throw out the longest shot I hit during that week if he was over 10-1 and also toss the single shortest price of the week, after that I think I get a better idea of my averages. It's no use to try to fool myself with a rediculous ROI that was inflated by a 30-1 shot somewhere along the way and I toss the short price because I too set a limit of how short a price I will take and sometimes my horse gets bet down under that price after I make my play.

Penguinfan

JustRalph
05-06-2003, 08:22 PM
penguinfan
Gelded since last post

This getting to be a tough room!

Fastracehorse
05-06-2003, 08:55 PM
<58 races sure as hell ain't a legitimate sample,

Stop there! :) :)

<Should I abstain from long shots?

Absolutely not. :rolleyes:

<My biggest profits came from the rolling pik-3s

Me too. :)

<Again, I'm not trying to brag

I hope not. :rolleyes:

fffastt

Fastracehorse
05-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Now I have a gelded penguin in my mind.

Hey Penguin, a gelding won the Derby. :) :)

fffastt

pic6vic
05-07-2003, 09:42 AM
You hit on one real strong point.

Handicap all races before going to the track. This is a MUST (imho).

When the odds change you are preparred, if there are late scratches to the pick 3's or pick 4's the pace may change and you are ready.

When we were playing the pick 6 in the 80's we had everything done before we went to the track. We would sometimes put in 102 tickets and if there was a late scratch we were preparred to make changes. Also there may be a great play in the last race and how would you know if you haven't done the work.

penguinfan
05-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Fastracehorse@DRF
Now I have a gelded penguin in my mind.

Hey Penguin, a gelding won the Derby. :) :)

fffastt

Thats why I had it done, in honor of my first Kentucky Derby winning ticket!!

Penginfan the gelded

Fastracehorse
05-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Penguin - you are one funny bird.

And IMO, being a bird is OK.

On the DRF forum I'm known as a handicapping quack!

:) :) :) :) :)

fffastt

Fastracehorse
05-07-2003, 05:14 PM
<Handicap all races before going to the track. This is a MUST (imho).

To me, this is what separates the few from the many.

It proves 2 things:

1) You can handicap as a business. That is, you don't need instant rewards for your efforts.

2) You understand what it takes to win and are willing to go the extra mile.

fffastt

penguinfan
05-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Fastracehorse@DRF
<Handicap all races before going to the track. This is a MUST (imho).

To me, this is what separates the few from the many.

It proves 2 things:

1) You can handicap as a business. That is, you don't need instant rewards for your efforts.

2) You understand what it takes to win and are willing to go the extra mile.

fffastt

In reply to number 1 on that list, I wish I could have had that nugget of wisdom the first day I started betting horses, I would be thousands of dollars better off. Many times I have done very well at the track I went to play only to toss a bucket full away at other tracks while waiting for the next race, the need for action is a killer.

Penguinfan

Fastracehorse
05-07-2003, 07:06 PM
No beer! - until you are done betting.

I learned this in my early 20's - I'm 36 now.

BTW,

I've had a good day posting picks but I just made a mistake.

A good quality bet was ruined because while handicapping last night, I wrote down the #2 when I meant the #3.

Paid 6-1 and won by many.

fffastt