PDA

View Full Version : The Earthquake Race Call! Just Look and Listen!

andymays
06-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Here it is folks. Vic's race call during an earthquake. Must Listen to this! Classic! If it's been posted here before my apologies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9d9Pk48b0

andymays
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Here it is folks. Vic's race call during an earthquake. Must Listen to this! Classic! If it's been posted here before my apologies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9d9Pk48b0

Vic, how bad was it from where you were compared to the rest of the crowd?

Do you know if any of the Jockeys felt it?

The Judge
06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
some awesome video's of other horse races.

v j stauffer
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Vic, how bad was it from where you were compared to the rest of the crowd?

Do you know if any of the Jockeys felt it?

Much worse. I'm on the 7th floor. The quake was 4.9 magnitude but it felt like 8.0 up there with all the swaying. I've often said that the roof of Hollywood Park is either the safest or worst place in LA to be during a quake. I'm going with best.

I've spoken to every rider that rode the race. They all said they felt nothing and that their horses did nothing out of the ordinary.

andymays
06-16-2009, 10:53 AM
I think most people would agree that the Call was "shaky" at best! :D

David-LV
06-16-2009, 11:17 AM
We have all heard and went over this great earthquake call before.

There is nothing older then yesterdays news.:)

BTW: This call took place on June 16, 2005. This must be a 4th anniversary post.
_______
David-LV

andymays
06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
;) We have all heard and went over this earthquake call before.

There is nothing older then yesterdays news.:)

BTW: This call took place on June 16, 2005. This must be a 4th anniversary post.
_______
David-LV

I would imagine that at least 90% of the stuff here has been discussed before! ;)

I just watched Somebody Up There Likes Me with Paul Newman for the umpteenth time. It wasn't as good as the first time but I still get a kick out of it!

David-LV
06-16-2009, 07:42 PM
;)

I would imagine that at least 90% of the stuff here has been discussed before! ;)

I just watched Somebody Up There Likes Me with Paul Newman for the umpteenth time. It wasn't as good as the first time but I still get a kick out of it!

Your right!

Just today I bought the 40th-Anniversary edition DVD "Woodstock 3 days of peace and music."

I was there in person at Woodstock, so I also think it won't be as good as the first time, but it sure will bring back memories! :) :)
________
David-LV

thespaah
06-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Much worse. I'm on the 7th floor. The quake was 4.9 magnitude but it felt like 8.0 up there with all the swaying. I've often said that the roof of Hollywood Park is either the safest or worst place in LA to be during a quake. I'm going with best.

I've spoken to every rider that rode the race. They all said they felt nothing and that their horses did nothing out of the ordinary.
The fact that the horses did not act unusualy strikes me as strange.,
There is much evidence that animals can "sense" earthquakes before people. As we know, Horses are prey aniumals with a fear instinct that causes them to run away from perceived danger.
I guess since these horses were already on the run is the reason why the riders never detected anything strange.
Anyway. When the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 struck just before the beginning of a World series game, Al Michaels then of ABC sports said he felt the sensation of the Stands lurching forward. He said he felt like he was almost tossed out of the press box.
Did you get any senastions such as this?
Living on the east coast, I have not had the "priveledge" (LOL) of experiencing a strong earthquake.
I was living in Hilton Head ,Sc when a tremblor of about 3.5 hit the Charleston, SC area 60 miles north.
I felt the couch rocking for about 5 seconds. Sort of like a rocking chair.
Weird.

v j stauffer
06-17-2009, 02:32 AM
The fact that the horses did not act unusualy strikes me as strange.,
There is much evidence that animals can "sense" earthquakes before people. As we know, Horses are prey aniumals with a fear instinct that causes them to run away from perceived danger.
I guess since these horses were already on the run is the reason why the riders never detected anything strange.
Anyway. When the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 struck just before the beginning of a World series game, Al Michaels then of ABC sports said he felt the sensation of the Stands lurching forward. He said he felt like he was almost tossed out of the press box.
Did you get any senastions such as this?
Living on the east coast, I have not had the "priveledge" (LOL) of experiencing a strong earthquake.
I was living in Hilton Head ,Sc when a tremblor of about 3.5 hit the Charleston, SC area 60 miles north.
I felt the couch rocking for about 5 seconds. Sort of like a rocking chair.
Weird.

You know when the washer is on the spin cycle and the clothes get out of balance? That's what it felt like. First vibrating. Then lurching side to side. Funny thing about big earth quakes is they seem to be loud. I remember alot of sound.

Imriledup
06-17-2009, 05:16 AM
You know when the washer is on the spin cycle and the clothes get out of balance? That's what it felt like. First vibrating. Then lurching side to side. Funny thing about big earth quakes is they seem to be loud. I remember alot of sound.

VJS i'd love to see you on Rome's show one day. You would bring it and not suck for sure.

Ps, are you Ronan Tynan's twin?:lol:

Sid
06-17-2009, 06:40 AM
There is much evidence that animals can "sense" earthquakes before people.
Fortunately, this event happened long enough ago that the horses having no idea what was going on cannot be blamed on artificial dirt.

thespaah
06-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Damn!!!!.....

v j stauffer
06-18-2009, 02:52 AM
VJS i'd love to see you on Rome's show one day. You would bring it and not suck for sure.

Ps, are you Ronan Tynan's twin?:lol:

Also George Karl and John Lithgow.

thespaah
06-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Also George Karl and John Lithgow.
That's funny!!!

usafsso
06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Was there any panic in the stands, it sounded like all the patrons were focused on the race. (Heard all the cheering at the end of the race.)

Loved the 'Racing was my first love' line.

statepierback
06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I live in Southern California and felt the shake that day. I've experienced several on them over the years. Its like a roller coaster ride, if you get past the fear it can be fun. This race call is a classic, to be remembered for years to come. :p

statepierback
06-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Speaking of earthquakes we just had on in southern California around 7:30 am Sunday morning. It was a quick JOLT, then a rumble for several seconds. FUN STUFF :mad:

Patrick333
06-21-2009, 03:43 PM

That was a great call Vic. I can only imagine how you felt when it was happening.

Stillriledup
11-22-2013, 09:24 PM
TVG just showed this call again.

One of Vic's finest moments.