PDA

View Full Version : Pletcher gets Quality Road

point given
06-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Just put up on DRF. Amazing, he loses Dunkirk to injury and gets the horse that beat him in the Florida derby. Seems as though Evans the owner had a falling out with Jimmy Jerkens and took 5 away.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/104681.html

joanied
06-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I was shocked :eek: when I read that story...I can't imagine what happened between Jerken's & Evan's ... Jimmy's a very good trainer, as far as I know...and no one could have prevented the quarter cracks...I don't get it :bang:
Evan's took 5 from Jerken's...we may never know just what this is all about, but I doubt Pletecher could do as good a job with QR as Jerken's did.

I don't know, but this leaves me :confused:

point given
06-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I was shocked :eek: when I read that story...I can't imagine what happened between Jerken's & Evan's ... Jimmy's a very good trainer, as far as I know...and no one could have prevented the quarter cracks...I don't get it :bang:
Evan's took 5 from Jerken's...we may never know just what this is all about, but I doubt Pletecher could do as good a job with QR as Jerken's did.

I don't know, but this leaves me :confused:

I don't know either, but JJ doesn't strike me as a people person too much but is an excellent trainer. Probably a personality issue there is my guess.

Stevie Belmont
06-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Well if his feet don't stay together, it won't matter who trains him...

miesque
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I was flipping through the PPs for Saturday card at Colonial Downs (which features the Colonial Turf Cup and All Along Stakes) and I noticed that there is an allowance horse of Ned Evans, Colonial Kid, who was previously trained by Jerkens but had been transferred to Hamilton Smith prior to his most recent start. Its all conjecture, but it leads me to think that the writing was probably on the wall for a bit and that Quality Road was most likely not the underlying reason and that the transfer of the remaining Evans horses was probably not a surprise to Jerkens.

Fingal
06-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Well if his feet don't stay together, it won't matter who trains him...

Wonder if Evans felt that the foot problem could have been handled differently so as a punishment he's pulling his stock ? :confused:

joanied
06-16-2009, 04:35 PM
HUH...miesque's post is interesting...and it does make you think that this has been going on for some time...Evan's pulling his horses away from Jerken's...
and Point Given made a good point :) that Jerken's seems to not be a 'people person'...my take too...even before the quarter cracks popped up, and QR was doing great, Jerken's never seemed happy...I cannot recall one time when I saw that man smile. And he sure doesn't seem the 'lovable' type of man that Allen has always been.
But, StevieB says it all...if the quarter cracks don't heal up, or he continues to have troubles with them (ala Big Brown)....it won't matter who's training him...and IMO, regardless of who trains QR, the quarter cracks are usually treated in the same manner, and IMO, most of that lies with the farrier?

It's gonna be interesting to see what Pletcher does with him...I doubt they'll be getting Dunkirk back racing for this season...or at all:eek:

:)

point given
06-16-2009, 06:13 PM
HUH...miesque's post is interesting...and it does make you think that this has been going on for some time...Evan's pulling his horses away from Jerken's...
and Point Given made a good point :) that Jerken's seems to not be a 'people person'...my take too...even before the quarter cracks popped up, and QR was doing great, Jerken's never seemed happy...I cannot recall one time when I saw that man smile. And he sure doesn't seem the 'lovable' type of man that Allen has always been.
But, StevieB says it all...if the quarter cracks don't heal up, or he continues to have troubles with them (ala Big Brown)....it won't matter who's training him...and IMO, regardless of who trains QR, the quarter cracks are usually treated in the same manner, and IMO, most of that lies with the farrier?

It's gonna be interesting to see what Pletcher does with him...I doubt they'll be getting Dunkirk back racing for this season...or at all:eek:

:)

I'd guess Jim Dandy / Travers for QR giving TP plenty of time with him. Dunkirk is on the farm til mid sept.

joanied
06-16-2009, 08:23 PM
PG...yes, TP has the time to get him right...if it can be done.
Pahleeeease...no more quarter cracks:faint:

Mid Sept. is liable to turn into being retired...I hope not...IMO, they should run him as a 4 year old...the colt has plenty of talent and showed he's a fighter...let the big hoss roll as a 4 yr. old....pahleeeeeease:)

Hey, PG...any info on the Pamplemouse? Wonder if Freisan Fire & Old Fashioned will return in the Fall...or sooner? Prob'ly not.

tucker6
06-16-2009, 08:40 PM
PG...yes, TP has the time to get him right...if it can be done.
Pahleeeease...no more quarter cracks:faint:

Mid Sept. is liable to turn into being retired...I hope not...IMO, they should run him as a 4 year old...the colt has plenty of talent and showed he's a fighter...let the big hoss roll as a 4 yr. old....pahleeeeeease:)

Hey, PG...any info on the Pamplemouse? Wonder if Freisan Fire & Old Fashioned will return in the Fall...or sooner? Prob'ly not.
What's up with IWR?? Too many of the TC hopefuls fell off the pace this year. I had such high hopes in the spring for this crop, and too many of the good ones didn't make it.

joanied
06-16-2009, 09:12 PM
What's up with IWR?? Too many of the TC hopefuls fell off the pace this year. I had such high hopes in the spring for this crop, and too many of the good ones didn't make it.

Crap...thanks, tucker...I'd forgotten IWR...and seems Moon Mullins has fallen off the earth.

This did look to be a really competitive bunch...have a read, tucker:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06132009/sports/horseracing/track_record_of_horse_injuries_goes_beyo_174079.ht m

:( :mad: :bang: ...how I feel about the fallout of so many nice colts:faint:

bane
06-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Here we go another horse about to be ruined. :bang:

Watcher
06-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Old Fashioned will return in the Fall...or sooner? Prob'ly not.
Thought Old Fashioned was retired?

joanied
06-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Thought Old Fashioned was retired?

Prob'ly will be...but believe they'll wait to see how he heals up first. OF & FF, both talented colts with not much of a career...if they think either of them can return and return to form, I beleive they'll race again, if for no other reason than to get a few more nice races on their resumes!