PDA

View Full Version : Must give big thumbs up to CD

senortout
06-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Churchill Downs has really, really come thru with their high-def signal of races! So I had to take a moment to acknowledge their efforts...

I use Twinspires at home and believe me, if you have even a half way decent computer set-up, you get a great view of CD races right on your monitor, and get this if you didn't already know it, you can make the picture full-screen. Its really like cleaning a dirty window, if you get my drift.

Have others noted this?

senortout

slew101
06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
I love their service as well, especially the unlimited race replays. Sometimes the replay video can stall out, but that's very rare.

Their service has improved a lot in the past year. A must have, I think, for handicappers.

I wish the betting software would improve so you can see horse's names, riders, odds, instead of just the numbers but maybe down the line.

cmoore
06-14-2009, 04:46 PM
I love their service as well, especially the unlimited race replays. Sometimes the replay video can stall out, but that's very rare.

Their service has improved a lot in the past year. A must have, I think, for handicappers.

I wish the betting software would improve so you can see horse's names, riders, odds, instead of just the numbers but maybe down the line.

When you wager..Run your cursor over the program number and the name will show up..

slew101
06-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks. Didn't know they had that feature.

Also can't beat the free PPs as well.

speed
06-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Absolutely correct. Twinspires.com is outstanding. Now if you attend Churchill live you get the chance to experience the absolute worst in racetrack management.

slew101
06-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Went to BC 2006 there, and thought it was horrible.

Absolutely correct. Twinspires.com is outstanding. Now if you attend Churchill live you get the chance to experience the absolute worst in racetrack management.

ManeMediaMogul
06-14-2009, 10:38 PM

Very accurate there.

We walk into the track Sunday (Stephen Foster (G1) Day) and first, they couldn't find our box tickets at Will Call, then we wait in a long line (one slow salesperson) so my girlfriend can buy a Daily Racing Form.

"We're sold out," the guy behind the counter says when we finally arrive at the front.

Then, I try to bet at a self-serve machine.

It doesn't take cash.

Later on, my girlfriend tries to buy a bottle of beer and they tell her she has to go downstairs...they only have beer on tap. This is the third floor in the clubhouse!

The place is a travesty.

A friend of mine called for seats for next Friday night and the girl said they were sold out.

Sold Out! The place can accomodate 120,000 people!

They wonder why nobody goes there.

I have been going to the races for half a century and I know the place is a hole but I enjoy watching good racing and they have it there a few times a year, so I attend. But if I was a casual fan, I would never go back after an experience like Sunday's.

Believe me, River Downs is much nicer - always a pleasant experience.

thruncy
06-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Absolutely correct. Twinspires.com is outstanding. Now if you attend Churchill live you get the chance to experience the absolute worst in racetrack management. 2 years ago as the strains of "My Old Kentucky Home" played & the last race had been run & all the smiling faces were wishing the departees good night; I stopped at the stand nearest to the clubhouse turn: "Give me all the forms for tomorrow," I asked. Obediently, the lady retrieved 2 or 3 piles of them and put them on the counter. Maybe she thought I was the distributor(???).

bitter
06-15-2009, 08:53 AM
i agree, the picture is crsipy, hopefully they will get their sister tracks like arlington park, fair grounds, etc. on board very soon

rrbauer
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
I watched the Foster and it was very good. Helps to have some peer pressure 70 miles down the road called Keeneland which went to high-def this year with widescreen lcd-tv's everywhere.

I guess it's hit or miss as to the on-track experience. I was there in June '07 and it was very enjoyable. Tickets were at will call. Restaurant had my reservation. Food was good. Employees were friendly. I agree that the '06 BC was a zoo, but every BC that I've been to has been that way.

NoCal Boy
06-15-2009, 09:38 AM
>>>The place is a travesty.

A friend of mine called for seats for next Friday night and the girl said they were sold out.

They wonder why nobody goes there.<<<

To paraphrase the great Yogi Berra...No one goes there anymore, it is too crowded!!!!!!

Very accurate there.

We walk into the track Sunday (Stephen Foster (G1) Day) and first, they couldn't find our box tickets at Will Call, then we wait in a long line (one slow salesperson) so my girlfriend can buy a Daily Racing Form.

"We're sold out," the guy behind the counter says when we finally arrive at the front.

It doesn't take cash.

Later on, my girlfriend tries to buy a bottle of beer and they tell her she has to go downstairs...they only have beer on tap. This is the third floor in the clubhouse!

The place is a travesty.

I have been going to the races for half a century and I know the place is a hole but I enjoy watching good racing and they have it there a few times a year, so I attend. But if I was a casual fan, I would never go back after an experience like Sunday's.

FenceBored
06-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Very accurate there.

It doesn't take cash.

The place is a travesty.

You lost me when you said the Foster was on Sunday.

Why don't you try to sell River Downs based on what's good about it instead of making up bad things to say about other tracks.

jballscalls
06-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Churchill live was for me was hit or miss. I really am a railbird at heart and the fact that they don't have a traditional apron to walk around down on the rail is bothersome.

however, on most days Luke K. would get us a table in the fancy club on the 6th floor and comp our lunches, and then stay around and play hollywood park wth us afterwards....those were great days at CD.

ManeMediaMogul
06-15-2009, 06:03 PM
You lost me when you said the Foster was on Sunday.

Why don't you try to sell River Downs based on what's good about it instead of making up bad things to say about other tracks.

Drank too many Vesper martinis Saturday night and was a little groggy Sunday morning but if mistaking Saturday for Sunday lost you Fency then maybe you're not worth finding.

As far as River Downs...a very cute little place I have been attending since 1978. Fabulous turf course...safe dirt track for all the Polyhaters. "Thirst 'n' Howl" Bar...not only one of the greatest names for a tiki bar I have ever heard but a wonderful place to hang out during the races. Nice paddock...friendly staff. Air conditioned clubhouse to get out of the heat and you can bet almost any track in the country there. To top it off...a lovely 15-minute drive along the Ohio River into Cincinnati so you can catch a Reds game or have the best ribs in the world at the Montgomery Inn Boathouse if you don't have tickets to a concert at Riverbend right next door.

If I was a billionaire, I would buy the place, put up my own money for purses and give the Kentucky tracks a run for their money.

dutzman
06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
I love twimspires.com with TwinSpiresTV. Its easy to load, you can switch from track to track easily....the picture quality is very good and I love having replays off all horses in a race right in front of me with one click.

Going to CD to see the races is hit or miss. I live in Louisville and rarely venture out to the track to watch the races...maybe 4 times a meet. Its much simpler betting online to me. Plus, its hit or miss the kind of experience you have out there. I'm a railbird, so for me its pretty hit, rarely miss. Kinda sad though. I am a 27 year old gambler/handicapper and they have no clue how to cater to a horseplayer like me....or ANY horseplayer for that matter.....go figure....all my friends would rather play poker.

FenceBored
06-16-2009, 01:35 PM
As far as River Downs...a very cute little place I have been attending since 1978. Fabulous turf course...safe dirt track for all the Polyhaters. "Thirst 'n' Howl" Bar...not only one of the greatest names for a tiki bar I have ever heard but a wonderful place to hang out during the races. Nice paddock...friendly staff. Air conditioned clubhouse to get out of the heat and you can bet almost any track in the country there. To top it off...a lovely 15-minute drive along the Ohio River into Cincinnati so you can catch a Reds game or have the best ribs in the world at the Montgomery Inn Boathouse if you don't have tickets to a concert at Riverbend right next door.

If I was a billionaire, I would buy the place, put up my own money for purses and give the Kentucky tracks a run for their money.

Sounds like a place to have a real nice day. Hope you get the money to do what you suggested.