PDA

View Full Version : HOL R7 - Vic's Call 06/13/2009

stu
06-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Vic,

I loved your call for the 7th yesterday.

"Gallatin's Run needs to 'have a take and not suck'."

All of the Jim Rome clone's had to love it -- too bad he got caught.

Stu

andymays
06-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Vic,

Stu

Vic's good but his Boy didn't give that one the best of rides (Rosario is one of the best). He backed off a minor duel (with an inferior Horse) and then went through to the lead again. It took just enough energy out of him to get him beat. Should have just went on with it.

Imriledup
06-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Andy, he lost to a better animal, Joel did what he had to do, he was in the 1 path on the turn on the lead, no excuses.

Mineshaft
06-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Vic,

Stu

Vic is one of the best. I hope Jim talks about that tomorow on his show. He needs to have Vic on the show.

v j stauffer
06-15-2009, 02:06 AM
What's really gross is Joel worked I'll Show Them for David Hoffmans and loved him. Joel was entered on him a week or so ago but he scratched because David wanted to put one more work into him. He asked me to ride him in the race yesterday but I had already given the call to Mike Puype. We rode the horse we wanted to though and I thought Joel rode him perfectly. Wish I could have kept those two seperated but that's the way it goes sometimes. Both IMO have huge futures.

Speaking of seperating. I have a very tough decision to make for the Landaluce Stakes. I'm willing to read input from you guys on who to ride between Well Deserved and Necessary Evil. Look em up. Watch their movies and tell me what you think.

VJS

DrugS
06-15-2009, 05:51 AM
They both came from the Barretts March 2yo sale ... and without a doubt Well Deserved was more impressive.

She worked an unblinkered quarter mile in 20.80 - easily the bullet of the sale.

http://www.barretts.com/TrainingPreviews/vidmar09/hip010a.wmv

It's rare that you see a horse get the bullet for a quarter mile at that sale by that wide of a margin (2/5ths) - I know Officer did when he had the bullet at that sale .. and I think most people will tell you What A Song did when he went 20.60 .. but people forget that was the same year Brother Derek went 20.80

You have to think of it this way ..

Well Deserved is probably the less likely of the two to stay sound (her sire never raced past Sep of his 2yo season and her dam was unraced) and Well Deserved only sold for 100K despite that crazy impressive sales work .. which means she probably isn't much to look at or had vet issues. She was just a $6,500 RNA the first time she was run through public auction.

Necessary Evil is also more likely to get a distance of ground - as she is by Harlan's Holiday out of an Unbrideld's Song mare. She sold for $270K at the same sale Well Deserved only brought 100K in - despite being markedly less impressive in the raw speed drill. And it's not like she isn't fast .. wire to wire win going 5fs with a 92 Beyer on debut.

If I was in your spot - I'd take the risk and jump off of the 2-for-2 stakes winner - and go with the recent maiden winner that would appear to have more upside as the distances get longer.

Mineshaft
06-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Who are the trainers of these 2 horses?

andymays
06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
What's really gross is Joel worked I'll Show Them for David Hoffmans and loved him. Joel was entered on him a week or so ago but he scratched because David wanted to put one more work into him. He asked me to ride him in the race yesterday but I had already given the call to Mike Puype. We rode the horse we wanted to though and I thought Joel rode him perfectly. Wish I could have kept those two seperated but that's the way it goes sometimes. Both IMO have huge futures.

Speaking of seperating. I have a very tough decision to make for the Landaluce Stakes. I'm willing to read input from you guys on who to ride between Well Deserved and Necessary Evil. Look em up. Watch their movies and tell me what you think.

VJS

You're probably gonna have a tendency to favor the O'Neill barn because of the size of the barn. Necessary Evil ran great against maidens but appears to be a "need the lead" type as Joel sent her early to get the lead and she drew off impressively. Couldn't pull up the charts but did she race against open company or Cal Breds? Of the others that will go in the upcoming race are there any other speedballs entered in the race?

Well Deserved for Hofmans ran against winners and open company in the Cinderella (although there could have been maidens in the race). She rated well early and pulled herself to the lead (without urging) at the top of the stretch and then battled to the wire and won with a lot of heart. Hofmans has a smaller barn but has been hot lately. How will this ones running style fit the upcoming race.

Without knowing who is going to be entered in the upcoming race I would choose Well Deserved because of her ability to rate and win!

And by the way I still think that Joel should have gone on with it the in Saturdays 7th after breaking on top over a speed favoring track. If he clears early he wins the race.

the little guy
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
They both came from the Barretts March 2yo sale ... and without a doubt Well Deserved was more impressive.

She worked an unblinkered quarter mile in 20.80 - easily the bullet of the sale.

It's rare that you see a horse get the bullet for a quarter mile at that sale by that wide of a margin (2/5ths) - I know Officer did when he had the bullet at that sale .. and I think most people will tell you What A Song did when he went 20.60 .. but people forget that was the same year Brother Derek went 20.80

Well Deserved is probably the less likely of the two to stay sound (her sire never raced past Sep of his 2yo season and her dam was unraced) and Well Deserved only sold for 100K despite that crazy impressive sales work .. which means she probably isn't much to look at or had vet issues. She was just a $6,500 RNA the first time she was run through public auction.

Necessary Evil is also more likely to get a distance of ground - as she is by Harlan's Holiday out of an Unbrideld's Song mare. She sold for $270K at the same sale Well Deserved only brought 100K in - despite being markedly less impressive in the raw speed drill. And it's not like she isn't fast .. wire to wire win going 5fs with a 92 Beyer on debut.

If I was in your spot - I'd take the risk and jump off of the 2-for-2 stakes winner - and go with the recent maiden winner that would appear to have more upside as the distances get longer.

You getting half of Vic's cut......or is the ego gratification enough compensation?

You're the greatest.

DrugS
06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I did it for you... not him.

the little guy
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
I did it for you... not him.

In that case, Vic can be no better than third, as foremost you did it for you.

Cadillakin
06-15-2009, 12:05 PM
What's really gross is Joel worked I'll Show Them for David Hoffmans and loved him. Joel was entered on him a week or so ago but he scratched because David wanted to put one more work into him. He asked me to ride him in the race yesterday but I had already given the call to Mike Puype. We rode the horse we wanted to though and I thought Joel rode him perfectly. Wish I could have kept those two seperated but that's the way it goes sometimes. Both IMO have huge futures..
VJS
Vic, knowing that you're a smart dude... I'm setting the line that if/when you have the chance to ride I'll Show Them over Gallatin's Run, you will. I'll Show Them did everything like a horse who can continue to get better... He might one day be top class, if not already. IMO, Gallatin ran his race and won't improve much at all in the near term. He was ready.

It's 1-5 you'll be taking Hoffmans horse if factors other than racing potential and class don't enter into your process..

toetoe
06-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Too bad the horse lost the race ? Or too bad Vic was caught acknowledging the Grand Oompa Loompa of sportsscream in a professional racecall ?

If I heard the call, I like to believe I would not start a thread to pan it --- after all, it's not world's end, just very lowbrow in its Romie-aggrandizement --- but by God, I had to read it anyway. :bang: .

I guess I should expect the lowered expectations from a man who idolizes that paragon of probity, that curer of cancer, that sage of the street ... Lebron James.

I may name my next child after the Great One --- Blomie Romie Toe.

Thanks for the vine --- yeah, right. :rolleyes: .

DrugS
06-15-2009, 12:42 PM
In that case, Vic can be no better than third, as foremost you did it for you.

Few people have ever done more to sabotage oneself than I have.

Cadillakin
06-15-2009, 12:45 PM

I don't think either of them has a future at two turns, other than outlasting a bunch of speedballs.. They're both a little too quick to be natural routers.

I thought Repo was better than Well Deserved in their matchup, so that's something to consider.

By the way, I am very impressed with Joel's recent interviews, not only that his English is much improved .. which shows his dedication and desire to communicate better with the trainers and owners... but also, that he is constantly referring to the pace and his position within the race. He's a natural, one of the best I've ever seen.. If he is near as smart as he is talented, he may be one of the best ever...

Mineshaft
06-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Vic,

Its a no brainer for me. Its the O'Neill horse. He will put you on more winners than Hoffmans will. His stable is bigger and better.

Now if O'Neill doesnt mind you riding the other horse and doesnt hold it against you then you have to look at which horse has the best chance to win this race.

Imriledup
06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Vic,

Its a no brainer for me. Its the O'Neill horse. He will put you on more winners than Hoffmans will. His stable is bigger and better.

Now if O'Neill doesnt mind you riding the other horse and doesnt hold it against you then you have to look at which horse has the best chance to win this race.

I think that Rosario is a world class rider, so worrying about barn's putting you down in the future isn't something that Vic doesn't need to worry about too much with a rider of this calibre. Joel is a rider that barns are going to fight to get, so its not like O'Neill is going to hold it against him in the future....O'Neill will use Joel when he can get him and not the other way around. Now, with a borderline jock who is somewhat struggling, than you have to worry about barns, but at this level, you take the best horse you can get TODAY.

v j stauffer
06-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Very good takes. Rarely would I think beyond the upcoming race. In the case of two-year olds I probably should factor that in. Harlan's Holiday has a soft spot in my heart because he was one my seven Florida Derby winners.

Gonna have Joel work them both before we decide. With a race this far away, especially with babies often times those tough decisions are made for us.

Not yet leaning in either direction.

VJS

v j stauffer
06-15-2009, 07:11 PM
You're probably gonna have a tendency to favor the O'Neill barn because of the size of the barn. Necessary Evil ran great against maidens but appears to be a "need the lead" type as Joel sent her early to get the lead and she drew off impressively. Couldn't pull up the charts but did she race against open company or Cal Breds? Of the others that will go in the upcoming race are there any other speedballs entered in the race?

Well Deserved for Hofmans ran against winners and open company in the Cinderella (although there could have been maidens in the race). She rated well early and pulled herself to the lead (without urging) at the top of the stretch and then battled to the wire and won with a lot of heart. Hofmans has a smaller barn but has been hot lately. How will this ones running style fit the upcoming race.

Without knowing who is going to be entered in the upcoming race I would choose Well Deserved because of her ability to rate and win!

And by the way I still think that Joel should have gone on with it the in Saturdays 7th after breaking on top over a speed favoring track. If he clears early he wins the race.

Often times the size of the barn and future opportunities are mitigating factors. Not usually in stakes though. The rule of thumb there is try to ride the horse you feel has the best chance to win. If need be make reparations later. Horsemen understand that very well in most cases.

FlyinLate
06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Often times the size of the barn and future opportunities are mitigating factors. Not usually in stakes though. The rule of thumb there is try to ride the horse you feel has the best chance to win. If need be make reparations later. Horsemen understand that very well in most cases.

Vic, just wanted to say what a great thing it is for us horseplayers to have someone in your position interact on the forum with the players.

v j stauffer
06-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Vic, just wanted to say what a great thing it is for us horseplayers to have someone in your position interact on the forum with the players.

The pleasure is mine.

andymays
06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
The pleasure is mine.

Vic, were you the one that did the "earthquake call"? That was a great one!

Can anyone find it?

v j stauffer
06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Vic, were you the one that did the "earthquake call"? That was a great one!

Can anyone find it?

It's on You Tube Andy. Just type in my name.

andymays
06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
It's on You Tube Andy. Just type in my name.

Here it is folks. Vic's race call during an earthquake. Must Listen to this! Classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9d9Pk48b0

Mineshaft
06-16-2009, 05:10 PM

So when will you let us know which horse you choose Vic? When is the Landulace?

v j stauffer
06-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Sun. July 12th. We have a little time but won't drag it out too long. I do know Bejarano's agent has spoken to both trainers. That is excellent agenting on his part. Anticipating that I'm going to have to give one of them up.

Beginning to lean towards one but can't say quite yet.

V

Mineshaft
06-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Sun. July 12th. We have a little time but won't drag it out too long. I do know Bejarano's agent has spoken to both trainers. That is excellent agenting on his part. Anticipating that I'm going to have to give one of them up.

Beginning to lean towards one but can't say quite yet.

V

Did Rome talk abut your call on his show yet?

v j stauffer
06-17-2009, 02:35 AM
Did Rome talk abut your call on his show yet?

Yes. Actually it was on his website on Monday and I was on the show during the 3rd hour for about 5 mins.

Might still be archived. Not sure.

v j stauffer
06-19-2009, 12:17 AM

As it almost always does in this wacky business things have a way of working themselves out.

On July 12th Joel is going to ride.............................................. .Drumroll please.

Both of them! Yeah baby! Turns out that Doug O'Neill has decided to run Necessary Evil against colts in the Hollywood Juvinile. Both the Juvinile and the Landaluce are on the same day. It couldn't have worked out better for us.

Here's hoping both fillies get to race day in peak form. Maybe we can get lucky, win both races and end up having to decide between them.

Or maybe just maybe it'll...........................................wo rk itself out.;)

Thanks for all the great input.

VJS

jballscalls
06-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Good luck Vic and JR.

Vic oddly enough, my favorite call of yours today occurred behind the gate before the 8th race. Magna Cum Laude.....the smartest horse in the race.....my GM and me were in stitches

Mineshaft
06-19-2009, 03:57 PM
As it almost always does in this wacky business things have a way of working themselves out.

On July 12th Joel is going to ride.............................................. .Drumroll please.

Both of them! Yeah baby! Turns out that Doug O'Neill has decided to run Necessary Evil against colts in the Hollywood Juvinile. Both the Juvinile and the Landaluce are on the same day. It couldn't have worked out better for us.

Here's hoping both fillies get to race day in peak form. Maybe we can get lucky, win both races and end up having to decide between them.

Or maybe just maybe it'll...........................................wo rk itself out.;)

Thanks for all the great input.

VJS

Ok say both fillies were running in the Landulace which one would you choose or can you say just yet?

Sailwolf
06-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Ok say both fillies were running in the Landulace which one would you choose or can you say just yet?

nonissue because the event will not happan.

Mineshaft
06-19-2009, 06:05 PM
nonissue because the event will not happan.

Wasnt asking you....

v j stauffer
06-20-2009, 03:05 AM

Would be bad business for me to say. I was leaning but only barely.

Mineshaft
06-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Would be bad business for me to say. I was leaning but only barely.

No problem was just trying to see if i would have been right on which one you would of picked.