PDA

View Full Version : Smaller tracks

gambler844
05-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Do you think it is harder to handicap and win at lower tracks like Charlestown Mountineer and Penn National, than at higher class tracks like Plimico and Hollywood?

Speed Figure
05-05-2003, 08:14 PM
I think it is harder. If your using a paceline picking program your going to have a hard time at some of those lower tracks. Most of those horses pacelines look so weak that you have to go back a few races to make them contenders.

But i find that those $4000 & 5000 claiming races are some good betting races.

JustRalph
05-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Harder at the smaller tracks.

When I didn't know what the hell I was doing ( like I do now? yeah right) I would hit some decent races at Mountaineer and Penn National. I think I was just throwing darts.

Since I have learned a little more and play the bigger tracks I make much more money...........but I can't hit a damn race at Mountaineer anymore..............

sq764
05-05-2003, 10:07 PM
I think its easier at smaller tracks for the simple fact that there are bigger win overlays.

You can catch a horse at 12/1 at Charlestown that would be 6/1 or 7/1 at Aqueduct. The small pools are great for win overlays.

Also, you have to consider the people that are wagering. At Aqueduct, Southern Cal, etc.. You have sharp handicappers. At Mountaineer, Charlestown, Delta, etc.., you have not so sharp cappers.

Who would you rather compete against?

kenwoodall
05-05-2003, 10:28 PM
Easier on principal. Higher quality contests in any sport means less difference between contestants. Check for faster times on weekdays, slower on weekends.

Tom
05-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Give me the small track anyday. Those cheaper horses have shorter form cycles and they run honestly when they can. At so-called major tracks, especially NYRA, I think you are more apt to have horse with sharp, recent form suddenly jsut plain fail to run than you will find with cheaper horses. You can get great prices at cheaper tracks.
Penn, FL, Mnr, you can clean house with good form horses.

rastajenk
05-06-2003, 12:35 AM
I think a smaller track with a long meet is easier to pick winners at, if you follow it daily and stay with it. It doesn't take too long to figure out which trainers can read a condition book, and which jocks have sharp agents. I can't look at a Fairmount program cold and have a very good idea of who's who or what's what. But if I kept charts and stats every day, I'd find plenty of opportunities.

alysheba88
05-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Think more sharps play the bigger tracks while many of the smaller tracks are square infested. Since the pools are small the sharp big betters (obviously not all big bettors are sharp which is why I said sharp big bettors). But if you are sharp and keep under the radar on your plays the small tracks can be very profitable. Remember its a parimutuel game. You against others. Maybe its just anedoctal but the % of people who read the form or something similar seems to be much lower at the small tracks

BETKING
05-06-2003, 11:52 AM
If you like inconsistant horses, Jockey races and Trainer set ups then you will love small tracks. There is not enough money to sustain the Jockeys and Trainers so they have to devise other methods of making money. If you like um play um. I will stick to the large tracks.

BETKING

GameTheory
05-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Let's just say they're different. There are few, if any, methods that you can apply the same way at big vs. small and be successful at both...

IRISHLADSTABLE
05-06-2003, 01:32 PM
I BELIEVE THE TIME I SPEND IN ARIZONA AT TURF PARADISE HELPED ME AS A HANDICAPPER.WHEN FACED WITH A FIELD OF TEN $2,500 CLM 4YR OLD & UP MDN'S IT MAKES YOU DIG DEEPER.
WHEN ALL THE HORSES IN THE RACE LOST THERE LAST RACE BY NUMEROUS LENGHTS, YOU HAVE TO SEE A POSITIVE FROM ALL THAT NEGATIVE. IT JUST MAKES YOU A BETTER CAPPER .

JIMMY / ILS

Zaf
05-06-2003, 08:30 PM
It doesn't seem to make a difference for me. In the long run I do about the same at large & small tracks.

ZAFONIC

Fastracehorse
05-06-2003, 08:58 PM
I agree with Zafonic.

While smaller tracks are more personal they offer about the same value for me.

fffastt

lonestar
05-07-2003, 11:23 AM
I have been muttering to myself about this subject recently. About convinced that the smaller tracks are a "good ole boys" game. (as alluded to above)

Watching the odds change on the toteboard and usually on some right at the last second that don't seem to figure......and win pretty often.

Not to say there isn't money to be made,just have to figure out the game at that track.

Almost lost my shirt just last week on one of the night running tracks betting on those that I thought should be contenders. Funny,I just started watching the odds and placed my bets accordingly,got some of it back and ran.

Then again,could just be a coincidence??

sq764
05-07-2003, 01:18 PM
You also have to consider that any decent win bet into a $20,000 win pool is going to drastically change odds, as opposed to betting into a $250,000 pool at post time.

I bet a horse at Evangeline Downs on Monday night that was 12/1 out of the gate, 10/1 at the top of the stretch, then as he crosses the line, Youbet clicks one more time to show him at 6/1!!

Needless to say I was pissed that my $120 profit just turned into $60 AFTER the finish..

lonestar
05-07-2003, 02:07 PM
That is one of the things I have to get used to. I have watched the odds only to see my #1 pick take a dive and then decide to bet my #2 pick to place,still with good odds.

Then what happens? Almost at post ,odds change on my #2 pick,odds dive but jump back up on my original favorite. LOL

Have to say though,I have caught some pretty decent prices because of that same situation.