PDA

View Full Version : Happy Ticket dead

FenceBored
06-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Happy Ticket died back on May 3, eight days after foaling her Empire Maker filly.
An autopsy determined that Happy Ticket developed complications that ultimately traced back to foaling, Madison said. “It was 1 in 10,000, something like that,” Madison said. “She was fine at 9 on Saturday night, and on Sunday morning, she was dead. It’s like lightning.”

-- http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/breeding-news/2009/June/10/Grade-1-winner-Happy-Ticket-dead.aspx

Joanied, this is why I didn't assume Curlin's dam was alright after seeing his brother on a nurse mare. Some farms make bad news known quickly, and others for their own reasons do not.

eastie
06-11-2009, 09:35 AM
RIP to a real nice filly. That is really a nice photo of her on the link.

sandpit
06-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Very sad news. I had the good fortune to visit her in Andy Leggio's barn at FG a few years back, and she was as kind and gentle as she could possibly be. You could tell she loved being around all the activity at the track, but like any horse with loads of class, she had the demeanor to handle it with an easy grace.

joanied
06-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Happy Ticket died back on May 3, eight days after foaling her Empire Maker filly. An autopsy determined that Happy Ticket developed complications that ultimately traced back to foaling, Madison said. “It was 1 in 10,000, something like that,” Madison said. “She was fine at 9 on Saturday night, and on Sunday morning, she was dead. It’s like lightning.”

-- http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/breeding-news/2009/June/10/Grade-1-winner-Happy-Ticket-dead.aspx

Joanied, this is why I didn't assume Curlin's dam was alright after seeing his brother on a nurse mare. Some farms make bad news known quickly, and others for their own reasons do not.

Yeah, makes you wonder why 'they' usually wait so long before announcing such a thing...as always, makes me sick when a mare dies from foaling complications...and in this case, I assume no one bothered to check on Happy Ticket & her baby during that night...if they had, maybe they would have seen her in distress and possibly been able to save her...breaks my heart:(
My sympathy to her owner...as he said, she was his child...the pain won't go away anytime soon.

I guess you do know the reason Curlin's little brother was with a nurse mare...SD is not maternal and has little milk production.

RIP, Happy Ticket:(

classhandicapper
06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Too bad. Very nice filly. :(

Lasix67
06-12-2009, 08:30 AM
This news really sucks! She was one of my favorite Louisiana bred ever.

lilmegahertz
06-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Yes she was a really nice horse. RIP sweetie....:(