PDA

View Full Version : Global Racing

kitts
06-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Just bought this from DRF, especially since I respect the author Alan Shubek as an expert on overseas racing. I guess I should have read the entire ad since is not the book I was hoping for. I was looking for guidance on interpreting horses new to N.A. for measures of ability and how efforts on foreign tracks help in evaluation. What I got was a well written very throrough brief description of every major foreign track complete with a brief, colorful history of that particular track. It is entertaining and interesting but not of particular help where I thought it would be. I will enjoy this book and it will take some time to absorb it-it just wasn't quite what I expected.

46zilzal
06-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Europeans are really catching on with setting up conditions THERE to train their charges in exactly the same situations they will meet here.

They LOVE Woodbine since hey don't have to do that on the lawn.

beertapper
06-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Just bought this from DRF, especially since I respect the author Alan Shubek as an expert on overseas racing. I guess I should have read the entire ad since is not the book I was hoping for. I was looking for guidance on interpreting horses new to N.A. for measures of ability and how efforts on foreign tracks help in evaluation. What I got was a well written very throrough brief description of every major foreign track complete with a brief, colorful history of that particular track. It is entertaining and interesting but not of particular help where I thought it would be. I will enjoy this book and it will take some time to absorb it-it just wasn't quite what I expected.

i agree. it's more like a directory of foreign tracks, as opposed to research on foreign horses and angles that may work with them... not a bad read but nothing to help with the handicapping

Profiler8
06-11-2009, 07:26 AM
In my opinion, it is really difficult to interpret european form. It is difficult within Europe as well. I know many unbeaten horses in Germany, which finished last in France in bad races. I think France and Britain have really good standards and when a horse comes to the USA it needs respect. But racing in the USA is different. You can not really compare racing from different countries.

I think the first edition of Bet with the best has a small guide for european racing. That is really helpful.

46zilzal
06-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Pace, in many a European turfer, is almost nonexistent.