DeanT
06-10-2009, 10:40 AM
It touches all the bases quite nicely:

Rakes
Field Size
Information availability
Caring about the customer

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090610/SPORTS05/306109939

Presque Isle Downs has developed a reputation as a track that cares about its own slots players and cares about keeping the horsemen content, but does not care about the horse player.

BillW
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
It touches all the bases quite nicely:

Rakes
Field Size
Information availability
Caring about the customer

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090610/SPORTS05/306109939

Written by PA poster DrugS, BTW

rrbauer
06-10-2009, 04:17 PM
DrugS? As in Drugstore? :lol:

This is a point from the article that we need to keep hammering home to players.

"Management is right when they tell you most bettors don't know that the $470.40 Superfecta payoff they collected on a race at Presque Isle Downs would pay $534.40 had the same race been run at Keeneland Race Course because of the difference in takeout rates between the tracks."

Pennsylvania tracks will not lower their obnoxious takeout rates until we players put the squeeze on them and stop betting their races. PID and PHA and PEN get none of my money.....zeeero! I don't care how many horses show up for their races.

Cangamble
06-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Great article. I played Presque Isle for the first time since their first month of operations today. Lost a bit, but I wouldn't have touched it without a rebate.

trying2win
06-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Dean:

Thanks for the link to this article by Doug Salvatore. In my opinion, his criticisms of PRESQUE ISLE DOWNS were 'right on the money'. Especially about the obscene takeout rates there, as well as the other Pennsylvania racetracks.

I also sent an email to PRESQUE ISLE DOWNS, with a copy of the link to this outstanding article. It felt good to "rub in the authors' criticisms" along with my own :D, to the PRESQUE ISLE DOWNS characters.

T2W

----------------------------------------------------------------------

~Give to us clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand for -- because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything."

--Peter Marshall

turfnsport
06-10-2009, 11:57 PM
I can't find one plausible reason to bet PI, and I'll bet on just about anything.

I think HANA's rating was generous :D

trying2win
06-11-2009, 05:50 AM
This is a point from the article that we need to keep hammering home to players.

"Management is right when they tell you most bettors don't know that the $470.40 Superfecta payoff they collected on a race at Presque Isle Downs would pay $534.40 had the same race been run at Keeneland Race Course because of the difference in takeout rates between the tracks."

Pennsylvania tracks will not lower their obnoxious takeout rates until we players put the squeeze on them and stop betting their races. PID and PHA and PEN get none of my money.....zeeero! I don't care how many horses show up for their races.

Some very wise advice from Richard. I agree...PID, PHA, AND PEN don't get any of my money either.

I've sent emails to some other excessively high takeout tracks before. You should see some of the lame excuses they use to justify their obscene takeouts.:ThmbDown: More horseplayers need to do the same. Don't play the extremely high takeout tracks, plus send emails to the management at these tracks and tell them of your boycott. Hit them in the wallet where it hurts until the executives that run these tracks smarten up.

T2W
----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."

-- Abraham Lincoln

andicap
06-11-2009, 06:43 PM
DrugS, uh Doug used to post here a lot. A very very sharp handicapper and extremely opinionated. Glad to see he got a good job and a nicely written column. I never knew his first name was Doug so I now I get the handle!:D

Ive played Philly in the past but I'd be happy to give it up for the cause.

rrbauer
06-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Ive played Philly in the past but I'd be happy to give it up for the cause.

Words of wisdom from across the pond! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Niko
06-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Nice article. I'd like to hear an executive comment. Seems like the tracks are a necessary evil to make money from slots.

Slot tracks are the ones that would be able to reduce take-out across the board as an experiment for a meet or two, but they don't---why?? Only doing it for one wagering pool won't work.

DrugS
06-12-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm glad you guys liked the article. Hopefully we see some things change for the better.

Tom
06-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Kudos to Drugs for a good article.
You need to write more! :ThmbUp:

All Penn tracks are now off my list.