PDA

View Full Version : The Drug issue in Horse Racing.

andymays
06-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I am all for comprehensive drug testing and having a national standard in place that makes sense and is also humane.

As a guy with a marketing background I believe this issue has hurt Horse Racing more than any other because of the grandstanding by Racing Officials and members of the media.

When Eight Belles went down Larry Jones was accused of all sorts of things and even the national media and the Peta People insinuated that drugs played a roll in her tragic death. All the drug tests came back negative.

A couple of years ago Bruce Levine was winning at a rediculous rate at Monmouth and everyone screamed for his head.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/45942/levine-horses-test-negative-for-epo

Because of the outcry the Racing Officials tested the entire barn of 41 Horses and all the tests came back negative. So the skeptics say “he must be using something that can’t be detected” and then where does the debate go? Right in the toilet!

At Del Mar last year the “supercops” from the CHRB decided to “out” John Sadler and Mike Mitchell on a steroid issue even though they were still in compliance of the rules. How did this help anyone except to get some cheap headlines and hurt the marketing of the Sport?

I know for sure that I am in the minority on this issue but I am attempting to bring some sanity to this important issue. The reality and the perception are equally important to Horse Racing. When we compare Equine Athletes to Athletes in other Sports what can we learn?

Golf is probably one of the least physically demanding sports yet golfers routinely take aspirin or alleve or motrin to prevent their backs from stiffening up in the middle of a game. We bet on golf so is this cheating?

Football players routinely get shots of cortisone prior to playing in a game. We bet on Football so is this cheating?

One of the arguments against what I am trying to get across is that Horses don’t have a choice and this is true but it is also true that many athletes don’t have a choice if they want to earn a living at their chosen sport.

What do you think?

fmolf
06-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I am all for comprehensive drug testing and having a national standard in place that makes sense and is also humane.

As a guy with a marketing background I believe this issue has hurt Horse Racing more than any other because of the grandstanding by Racing Officials and members of the media.

When Eight Belles went down Larry Jones was accused of all sorts of things and even the national media and the Peta People insinuated that drugs played a roll in her tragic death. All the drug tests came back negative.

A couple of years ago Bruce Levine was winning at a rediculous rate at Monmouth and everyone screamed for his head.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/45942/levine-horses-test-negative-for-epo

Because of the outcry the Racing Officials tested the entire barn of 41 Horses and all the tests came back negative. So the skeptics say “he must be using something that can’t be detected” and then where does the debate go? Right in the toilet!

At Del Mar last year the “supercops” from the CHRB decided to “out” John Sadler and Mike Mitchell on a steroid issue even though they were still in compliance of the rules. How did this help anyone except to get some cheap headlines and hurt the marketing of the Sport?

I know for sure that I am in the minority on this issue but I am attempting to bring some sanity to this important issue. The reality and the perception are equally important to Horse Racing. When we compare Equine Athletes to Athletes in other Sports what can we learn?

Golf is probably one of the least physically demanding sports yet golfers routinely take aspirin or alleve or motrin to prevent their backs from stiffening up in the middle of a game. We bet on golf so is this cheating?

Football players routinely get shots of cortisone prior to playing in a game. We bet on Football so is this cheating?

One of the arguments against what I am trying to get across is that Horses don’t have a choice and this is true but it is also true that many athletes don’t have a choice if they want to earn a living at their chosen sport.

What do you think?
i think you hit the nail on the head....we need national racing rules and regulations that all jurisdictions adhere to.we need to stop with all the negative publicity people in our game generate.can't they see they are hurting the game?
i think the internet and increased media coverage in all forums has made everyone more aware of the negative lets accentuate the positive in our game!

Citation1947
06-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Years ago, I claimed an older class horse off a suspected dope using trainer at the urging of someone else(partner). Needless to say, this poor horse was having withdrawls for about 10/12 days. He was shaking, sweating, pacing, weaving, etc.
If I recall, all we did was have a DMSO jug administered and time for the drugs to clear his system. This horse had finally settled after nearly three weeks and we started looking for races. The horse actually improved somewhat for us.

Giving many of these drugs to horses is not only wrong, but not needed. The only reason why some people turn to using drugs on their horses to be competitive is because they have no idea what the hell they are doing.

fmolf
06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Years ago, I claimed an older class horse off a suspected dope using trainer at the urging of someone else(partner). Needless to say, this poor horse was having withdrawls for about 10/12 days. He was shaking, sweating, pacing, weaving, etc.
If I recall, all we did was have a DMSO jug administered and time for the drugs to clear his system. This horse had finally settled after nearly three weeks and we started looking for races. The horse actually improved somewhat for us.

Giving many of these drugs to horses is not only wrong, but not needed. The only reason why some people turn to using drugs on their horses to be competitive is because they have no idea what the hell they are doing.
well said...or they are just not patient enough to wait for the horse to work/race into form.

Nacumi
06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Rumblings around some aprons here in the MidAtlantic indicate that since the steroid threshold rules have been put in place, guys are just using EPO, ProCrit and other such enhancements instead, never mind what the long-term abuse of the horse is. And you can't test for the antibodies because they clear the system before the effect does.
The only way to stop these shenanigans is to conduct routine, random out of competition testing at all tracks, training facilities and farms. Period. That way, you collect data and expose doping. Frankly, full disclosure of all the treatments a horse has received in its racing life cycle should be part of it. If your horse tests positive for something, you can't enter a race or run in one.
There's too much secrecy and pretense about what actually goes into training. Citation is correct; most "horsemen" don't know what the hell they're doing and drugs are a good shortcut tool instead.:confused:

andymays
06-09-2009, 02:44 PM
How easy is it for a disgruntled employee (maybe a groom) or someone else (maybe another Trainer) with a vendetta against a particular Trainer to give a Horse a carrot or something like it with a prohibited substance in it the day before a race?

andicap
06-11-2009, 07:16 PM
The argument that drugs in horses should be allowed because there are drugs in other sports we bet on is a nonsensical one. None of these sports are legal. Only horse racing is a state-sanctioned affair and thus must carry all appearances of being on the up-and-up.

You legalize sports betting and I guarantee you there will be controversies brewing over what drugs players are taking before and during the game.

And even with no gambling, look at baseball and steroids.

Having said that,
I agree that a national uniform policy is essential.
I agree the media gets hysterical over issues they either do not understand or do not care to learn about because they only want a good headline/story. Or they are too lazy to investigate deeper. And yes, innocent people get their names dragged through the mud.

But the case against drugs is too damning to just throw our hands up and say, "lets legalize a lot of it so there won't be any bad news for racing."

Drugs is much more than just a marketing issue.

Imriledup
06-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Andy,

There are 2 problems with your argument. The first problem is that you make sense, we can't have that in racing. Stop making sense, ok?

Problem 2 is that what you are suggesting costs money. Why would racetracks and states spend money for something that won't increase betting handle enough to offset the costs?

If you owned a coffee shop and i suggested you get a new roof for your building as well as a new floor and some really expensive crystal chandeliers you might want to know how all those improvements are going to help you sell more coffee. Well, you won't sell more coffee but you should do it anyway because your place will look nicer?

kenwoodallpromos
06-11-2009, 10:40 PM
First, we are talking about drugs allowed or not ON RACE DAY AND STILL IN THEIR SYSTEMS.
If you look at any state's racing equine drug schedules or lists, you will find hundreds of drugs allowed to be given to them, as long as they do not "affect them DURING the race".

ralph_the_cat
06-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Heres an idea... Employ legit track vets... not Joe the vet, that puts in an app to run "HIS CLINIC" within THE TRACKS DOORS

SO he "doesnt appear "to have any criminal record in the current state, ya, hes approved to do his vet work here...:ThmbDown:

I dont see why race tracks cant run their own veterinary clinics with inhouse vets on salaries... It would forever change the game... and another way for tracks to increase profit$$$$$=manage takeout and purses with the horsemens vet expenses, rather than have tracks vets poket millions of dollars a year while they destroy the game as well... the solution makes too much sense too me...

Charlie D
06-14-2009, 03:11 AM

If a few owners told these stories to say the right media people, the publics reaction may just force the hand of those who rule the sport.

As they say, image is everything

Just a thought.

Tom
06-14-2009, 09:24 AM
The best policy is no drugs. None. Period.
Your horsey needs a med for a problem, fine, but he don't race. Not until he tests zero for it.

Imriledup
06-14-2009, 05:31 PM
The best policy is no drugs. None. Period.
Your horsey needs a med for a problem, fine, but he don't race. Not until he tests zero for it.

Big pharma won't like you.

WinterTriangle
06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
you won't sell more coffee but you should do it anyway because your place will look nicer?

Buildings and coffee aren't living things.

"When we compare Equine Athletes to Athletes in other Sports what can we learn"--athletes needing an NSAID to counter inflammation is one thing. If they were dying during their competition in a sport, there would be heightened concern.
---------------------------
"people in our sport shouldn't be negative."

There is a difference between being negative and being aware.

"Positive" people operate on the belief that there is always room for improvement. That's why they're usually successful. :) The most dramatic improvements for humanity were made by postive people who searched for "better." Negative people consider risks.... and then do nothing about it.

I remember when boxers didn't wear head protection. I know hunters with high dollar sporting retrievers who wear chest and foot protection nowadays.

IMHO, no living being needs drugs unless they are ill. If they are ill, they shouldn't be racing. Living beings that take drugs when they are not ill are called drug addicts.