PDA

View Full Version : Dunkirk surgery

ghostyapper
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51170/surgery-on-dunkirk-for-condylar-fracture

Out till the fall

DanG
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51170/surgery-on-dunkirk-for-condylar-fracture

Out till the fall
Thanks for the link Zapper;

5 starts / no 2yo foundation / 3 Grd-1’s at 9f+ / the Curlin’s of the world aside I can’t imagine why he blew a tire. People who know breeding far better then I say the Unbridled Song’s are the thoroughbred version of the Fabergé egg.

Strictly an antidotal observation and I haven’t really researched it, but the 9f GP dirt races have sent many a runner to the M*A*S*H unit. If not in their next start, not long after. Especially the 3yo’s who try that brutal (incorrectly measured) meat grinder. The difference between 9f and 8.5 on a young horse is not an increase of 6% in distance…they are worlds apart in terms of stress on the better animals imo.

JustRalph
06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
$3.7 million dollar purchase

made $393,000

They are only down about 90%

46zilzal
06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Keep loading up horses with NSAID's steroids and diuretics, ALL know to either decrease bone metabolism by blocking the action of Wolf's law on bone remodeling and THIS is the result: fragile bone,

Calcium hydoxyapatite crystals are forever remodeling based upon stresses IF there is a low level inflammatory response to initiate that.

These drugs markedly decrease that response.

Cholly
06-09-2009, 02:07 PM

Out till the fall

Out till the fall, my ass. What would the prop odds in Vegas be on this one ever running again?

slew101
06-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I agree. Give me a break. He'll never race again. They'll try and breed him off his 2nd place finish and say he would have been great.

Just like when Afleet Alex's connections said he's run again after the Belmont. I think Smarty Jones' people said the same thing. It's nonsense.

Out till the fall, my ass. What would the prop odds in Vegas be on this one ever running again?

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Horse ran a fine race in the Belmont...I hope for a recovery.

SmartyLane
06-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Being a relatively new fan to racing compared to most of you (9 years for me now), this is something I just don't get. If this horse never races again, it absolutely boggles my mind that somebody would want to breed to him. I loved this horse, and just happened to be at Gulfstream for his first ever race. I think he ran a truly impressive race in the Belmont, and a helluva race in the Florida Derby but if he is so fragile then why breed to him. Yeah you might get a great colt/filly but for how long, 3-4 races.

Why would someone want to breed to such fragile sires when there are proven others that are more sound sires?

Someone please explain this to me.

slew101
06-10-2009, 12:01 AM
An injury prone horse does not mean his offspring would be injury prone. Just like a great horse doesn't mean his offspring will be great or eveb good.

But they have to retire the horse because if his first crop are great horses, they can boost the price for many years to come and try and recoup some of that purchase price. Risking another injury on the track is not an option they are likely to consider.

Being a relatively new fan to racing compared to most of you (9 years for me now), this is something I just don't get. If this horse never races again, it absolutely boggles my mind that somebody would want to breed to him. I loved this horse, and just happened to be at Gulfstream for his first ever race. I think he ran a truly impressive race in the Belmont, and a helluva race in the Florida Derby but if he is so fragile then why breed to him. Yeah you might get a great colt/filly but for how long, 3-4 races.

Why would someone want to breed to such fragile sires when there are proven others that are more sound sires?

Charlie D
06-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Just a note guys, this screwing of a fracture happened to Mr Tabor's best mate Mr Magniers horse Duke of Marmalade , so be ready to eat some humble pie if it's successful like it was for the Duke.

Imriledup
06-10-2009, 01:56 AM

People who don't know any better will breed to the fragile sires. If NYRA, CD, inc and a few other powerhouses made rules that said they will not accept entries on offsprings of sires who do not have at least 20 lifetime starts and have at least 10 starts or more in 2 different years than we wouldn't have any of this stuff. All the tracks need to stick together and boycott entries from these fragile sires and you wouldn't have anyone breeding to Dunkirk if they know that none of his offspring will ever get to race at Saratoga or Belmont.

Bettowin
06-10-2009, 02:24 AM
People who don't know any better will breed to the fragile sires. If NYRA, CD, inc and a few other powerhouses made rules that said they will not accept entries on offsprings of sires who do not have at least 20 lifetime starts and have at least 10 starts or more in 2 different years than we wouldn't have any of this stuff. All the tracks need to stick together and boycott entries from these fragile sires and you wouldn't have anyone breeding to Dunkirk if they know that none of his offspring will ever get to race at Saratoga or Belmont.

Really no need to make rules. All we would end up with then is meaningless races to make the quota. Hopefully the people paying big buck for horses will see the light and invest wisely. If not the market will cull them out or at least render their purchases useless over the long run.

If people want to keep breeding to sires that have proven faults and pass them along good for them.

Maybe the North American racing industry needs to go the way of our auto manufacturers and come back with new ownership (maybe outside the USA) before it can be corrected?

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2009, 02:35 AM
Just a note guys, this screwing of a fracture happened to Mr Tabor's best mate Mr Magniers horse Duke of Marmalade , so be ready to eat some humble pie if it's successful like it was for the Duke.I'm another who would take the action of those betting against a return...

Cholly
06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm another who would take the action of those betting against a return...

Since I've been called out, I can hardly sit mute...how about Dec. 31 cut-off for Dunkirk's racing again with the wager being a $50 donation to a horse charity of the winner's choosing? And in all sincerity, and with respect for our noble administrator, I hope my bet is a losing one...but then again, noting his soothful assessment of The Belmont, he is probably more the one who can afford to lose.

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Sounds good to me! You're on!

46zilzal
06-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm another who would take the action of those betting against a return...
Each orthopaedic patient follows their own recovery ..It is up to connections whether they risk further injury or take to the breeding shed. which is far more likely.

NY BRED
06-11-2009, 06:14 AM
while I loved the winner of the Belmont, it is a daunting thought
this injury may have allowed SB the victory.

Dunkirk exhibited a ton of class competing against Quality Road in Fla,
and, although a Fresh Horse In the Belmont obviously compromised
Charitable Man's chance to win and even MTB who found himself
close to the Pace after 8fg.

Cat Thief
06-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I think there would have to be alot of data gathered to prove that certain horses passed on their history and I don't consider quarter cracks a gentic trait

PaceAdvantage
01-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Since I've been called out, I can hardly sit mute...how about Dec. 31 cut-off for Dunkirk's racing again with the wager being a $50 donation to a horse charity of the winner's choosing? And in all sincerity, and with respect for our noble administrator, I hope my bet is a losing one...but then again, noting his soothful assessment of The Belmont, he is probably more the one who can afford to lose.Well, Dec. 31 has come and gone, and on top of that, it was announced Dunkirk has been officially retired.

Looks like I owe your favorite horse charity a $50 donation. Can't say I can't complain too hard about losing this wager.

Name your charity! :ThmbUp: