PDA

View Full Version : Did they all come out okay?

WinterTriangle
06-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Do we know for sure if all the horses came out of BM okay?

Usually, it takes some time for the information to appear.

Last time I heard a rumor it was posted by somebody on a forum who said IWR would be scratched from the derby.........and it was MANY MANY hours before that information became public........in the wee hours of the night, day before the race. :eek: Poster took a ton of flak, called every name in the book, troll, liar, and worse.

Then, the next day, it turned out to be true.:rolleyes:

(You never know what "barn personnel" are going to give a head's up somewhere, anonymously. Somebody in the barn knew, that's for sure, and posted anonymously on a forum.)

Anyway, no news is good news, but I'm still in the "wondering" phase. How long did it take us to hear about other injuries? At least a few days?

nijinski
06-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Some Buzz regarding Steve Byk discussing Dunkirk and a possible
NON life threateninig fracture in a hind leg.
Things snowballed at the other site with photos of Dunkirk on Belmont
day wrapped up front legs down to his feet.
He looked sound to me and the wraps look more protective then anything else.
Couldn't find confirmation of hind leg injury at BH or DRF so guess it could
be a rumor, just have to wait and hope all is ok.

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Byk is reliable. Take that for what it is....

WinterTriangle
06-09-2009, 02:01 AM
Nij, that's sort of what i heard. :blush: But cannot find any substantiated information, so it is a "rumor" for now.

Although, the name Dunkirk did get me...since that was who the race inquiry was with, due to the slight "bump" that supposedly happened between he and CM during the race?

That by itself made my radar go up, bumps in fields like this always do. :eek:

FenceBored
06-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Confirmation from the Bloodhorse.

Surgery on Dunkirk for Condylar Fracture

Dunkirk (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/thoroughbred/dunkirk/2006?source=BHonline), who ran a gutsy, front-running second in the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), came out of the race with a non-displaced condylar fracture of the left hind cannon bone and will undergo surgery June 9 at the new Ruffian Equine Medical Center across the street from Belmont Park. Dr. Patricia Hogan will perform the operation.-- http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51170/surgery-on-dunkirk-for-condylar-fracture

nijinski
06-09-2009, 10:24 AM
He is in good hands with Dr Hogan and I wish him well.
He is one beautiful horse.
Thanks for the link ,I guess Byk had heard it first.

SmartyLane
06-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Not being real familiar with injuries and stuff, could someone please explain to me how it could run such a great race and look good galloping out, but somehow have a fracture?

Whether it is minor or not that just doesn't seem right to me?????

Grits
06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Unfortunate considering almost 4 MIL was paid for this investment, and he stepped into the gate once beyond only 4 races. Figure the math on this one per start.

Tabor&Co spent big bucks for Unbridled legs, this morning they may be wishing they'd never seen 'em.

Still . . . hope he recovers well.

WinterTriangle
06-09-2009, 11:03 AM
:(

Smarty,

fractures are not always obvious or even painful (at first.)

I broke my foot last year, and when they xrayed it, the radiologist said: "Did you know you also have 2 "old" fractures in your foot that appear to have happened years ago?"

Speedy recovery wishes for Dunkirk. However, probably still talking a few pins and time off........

Grits
06-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Speaking of pins, the guy with twelve in his leg . . . . he's tired.

Alone, his being able to withstand the grueling five weeks, has been amazing.

Jay Hovdey has written a fine summary of a long trail.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/104484.html

Not4Love
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Unbridled Song runners are known to be unsound. It looks like Birdstone's are very sound. Also, can anybody name one horse by Unbridled Song who has won at a mile and a half?
I didn't think so.
Also, I get the impression that to some trainers, a horse has to fit the program, no matter if he's bred to do what's asked, or not. In my opinion, and I am a trainer, the program should fit the horse.
Stacy Stark

PS another thing I've noticed - Fusaichi Pegasus horses have lots of talent. What they lack, is heart.

Cat Thief
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I know horses run on broken legs all the time, its the adrenaline and the shock. If they can't get them pulled up than the injury is twice as bad. Guess its the same for humans as I shattered my ankle, broke alot of bones and I had no pain for about 3 or 4 hours. They say he will be okay in the fall and that he will race but that I doubt very much as he cost alot and will probably go to stud.

joanied
06-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Isn't it something that the Ruffian Clinic opened just in time for Dunkirk to have his surgery there? It's wonderful that they don't have to ship him out...I gotta give high marks:ThmbUp: to IEAH for getting this equine hospital built...it's going to be a godsend.

Pletcher says Dunkirk should be 100% after he heals and they expect him back in the Fall....man, I hope so...with his price tag, and the fact he is an US colt, maybe after he heals up, they won't want to take a chance with him and just go ahead and retire the colt....that would be a shame...what I am in hopes for, is they maybe run him once in the Fall...then turn him out for a few months and bring him back as a 4 year old...in fact, I wonder how many, if any, of these 3 yr old colts will run as 4 year olds.

Since IWR, QR and the Mousse will be MIA for a while longer...and won't be able to get much in the way of black type on their resumes this year, maybe, just maybe, we'll see them back next year...what a handicap division we'd all have to look forward to in 2010 if half these colts come back...
wishful thinking...or maybe a miracle will happen and owners will see :eek: that the Jackson's of the industry speak volumes about keeping these youngsters around until they are 4 or even...5 years old:jump: