PDA

View Full Version : Medaglia d’Oro vs. Birdstone as Sires

FenceBored
06-08-2009, 10:43 AM
With Classic winners in their first crops, and tied with 4 Graded stakes winners as of this morning, Birdstone and Medaglia d’Oro look to be on a roll. Which do you think will be the stronger sire over the next 10 years?

barn11
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
A few observations on a head-to- head comparison. Pedigree wise, B has a much stronger female family, but MdO is by a much more successful sire. Opportunity wise, MdO stood originally for approx $35,000, B $10,000. So B seems to have made more withlesser mares. However Mdo being purchased by Darley certainly assures him future quality books, possibly even better than what B will get at Gainesway. Interestingly, it has appeared to me that when these lesser stud fee horses get better mares it doesn't always improve their stud record. Obviously sometimes it does, but its not an automatic given. My impression is that Mdo has more 'quality " runners than B (i.e. impressive maiden winners, etc). My money would go on him.

strapper
06-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Good observation on the two hottest sires emerging. My money is on Medaglia d'Oro in the long run. He's a stunning physical specimen and he is likely to get the better books to continue his success. But Birdstone will infuse American mares with some much needed stamina and I think both will make their mark as good broomare sires later on rather than sires of sires.

Pell Mell
06-10-2009, 11:05 AM
IMHO too much emphasis is put on the sire, especially the immediate sire. You would do well to examine the family of the dam of Birdstone. Also, compare the pedigrees of Mine That Bird, Summer Bird, Rachel, Big Brown and a host of others and make note of the family lines of the dams.

louisianawoman
06-11-2009, 02:27 AM
With Classic winners in their first crops, and tied with 4 Graded stakes winners as of this morning, Birdstone and Medaglia d’Oro look to be on a roll. Which do you think will be the stronger sire over the next 10 years?

Oh My Goodness - to even think of Birdstone in the same league with Medaglia d'Ora? Have you not seen what the offspring of Med is doing?
:p

lamboguy
06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Oh My Goodness - to even think of Birdstone in the same league with Medaglia d'Ora? Have you not seen what the offspring of Med is doing?
:pnow that is breathtaking, what is even more breathtaking is the $50million they spent to buy Medaglia d'ora!

medaglia was my favorite horse of all time, only because i made the biggest score of my life betting on that guy!