PDA

View Full Version : Human and equine females vs males.

Imriledup
06-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I was thinking about how its possible that Rachel Alexandra can beat the boys (or any female racehorse for that matter, but i'll use Rachel because she's the most recent female who won a top class race) when the best female baseketball player isn't good enough to play in the NBA. (i'll just use NBA for my example)

Now, here's my question (or point). At what level would the best WNBA player be able to play vs males? Would the best WNBA player be a star on a men's college team? I'm thinking not. Would the best WNBA player be a star on a men's high school team? (the best men's HS team in the country). I can't imagine that the worst man on the best HS team is better than the best WNBA player. BUT, the best male HS player might be better than the best WNBA player. I'm not sure however.

So, that made me think that the competition that Rachel beat in the Preakness is the horse racing equivalent to high schoolers.

But, then, i asked myself, if that's true, how did Rags to Riches beat Curlin? Curlin is an elite racehorse and is definitely one of the best of all time (probably in the top 100) so how did he lose to a filly?

Would the best WNBA player (in history) be able to play and beat a men's NBA team compromised of some of the best NBA talent who ever played? no, it wouldn't even be remotely competitive and i ask you then this question.

How can the best female racehorses compete so closely with great male horses? Would the best female olympic sprinters or distance runners ever come close to the best men? No, not a chance.

What makes horses so different? Anyone have a theory on this?

BillW
06-07-2009, 09:08 PM
What makes horses so different? Anyone have a theory on this?

Maturity. You're talking about adult humans and sub-adult horses. In 8th grade males and females are a lot closer in physical maturity. In addition, I don't think there is a one to one correspondence between the human and equine sexes.

kenwoodallpromos
06-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Maturity. You're talking about adult humans and sub-adult horses. In 8th grade males and females are a lot closer in physical maturity. In addition, I don't think there is a one to one correspondence between the human and equine sexes.
I agree unless I see "older" females beat "older" males on the track (5+ups). Then it will be :blush: