PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear it for Sunland Park.

FenceBored
06-07-2009, 09:44 AM
While Mine that Bird may not have won the Belmont, his ITM finish capped a Triple Crown where a horse that ran the in the Sunland Derby won one Classic, and placed in the other two. With Advice and Mythical Power also winning graded stakes the Sunland Derby made a big impact on the late spring scene.

And let's not forget the winner of the Acorn Stakes, Gabby's Golden Gal was the winner of the Sunland Oaks.

Congratulations to the folks at Sunland Park.

Cat Thief
06-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I also congratulate Sunland Park (and Gabby's Golden Girl)

lamboguy
06-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I also congratulate Sunland Park (and Gabby's Golden Girl)congradulations are in order in spades. also the trainer CHIP WOOLEY is a gem. i have never seen a more gracious man after losing the way he did yesterday. he is an asset to the sport, and proved it in the last month.

dutchboy
06-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Mine That Bird huge longshot wins the KY Dby
Gabby's Golden Girl medium longshot wins at Belmont

Both horses were from Sunland Park and neither horse based on numbers appeared to have a much chance to win those two races. I doubt if many number handicappers could find a reason for either horse to have won.

Maybe there is something to "high altitude horse training". Google the term if interested. Years ago it seemed like a lot of high quality horses in So Cal were from So America. It may have been Charlie Whittingham that started the trend of bringing them to So Cal.

Imriledup
06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Gabby's win was bias and rail aided, i'm not sure that had anything to do with her being at Sunland.

Cat Thief
06-07-2009, 07:34 PM
I bet her in the Belmont race because she is fast and sometimes speed carries on which it did for her in the Acorn. Bob Baffert is her trainer so I assume she's from California

Imriledup
06-07-2009, 08:46 PM
She was one of the horses that lost to Rachel by 500 lengths in the Oaks.

WinterTriangle
06-07-2009, 08:49 PM
congradulations are in order in spades. also the trainer CHIP WOOLEY is a gem.

Lambogy, I like him a lot, very down to earth guy.

The pundits were asking him "lofty" questions something like "when so many horses chose not to run in the Belmont, why did you decide to run MTB?"

His answer, quickly: "The horse likes to run."

:lol:

My friends here in this small agricultural town,lots of ranchers and cowboys, cracked up when I repeated that to them. :)

Imriledup
06-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Lambogy, I like him a lot, very down to earth guy.

The pundits were asking him "lofty" questions something like "when so many horses chose not to run in the Belmont, why did you decide to run MTB?"

His answer, quickly: "The horse likes to run."

:lol:

My friends here in this small agricultural town,lots of ranchers and cowboys, cracked up when I repeated that to them. :)

I liked Wooley more when he did the funny skit with Kenny Mayne. Not that i disliked him, but when i saw him poking fun at his injury i thought that was good stuff.

WinterTriangle
06-07-2009, 09:01 PM
While Mine that Bird may not have won the Belmont, his ITM finish capped a Triple Crown where a horse that ran the in the Sunland Derby won one Classic, and placed in the other two. With Advice and Mythical Power also winning graded stakes the Sunland Derby made a big impact on the late spring scene.

And let's not forget the winner of the Acorn Stakes, Gabby's Golden Gal was the winner of the Sunland Oaks.

Congratulations to the folks at Sunland Park.

Makes Kelly Leak and Scorewithcater a good bet next time out. :)