PDA

View Full Version : Pink hats and Star power

timmaz
06-07-2009, 08:35 AM
2009 proved to be a Triple Crown trail to remember. It was even better if you go back to the exciting preps as well.

I was there yesterday at Belmont, it certainly felt crowded and there were plenty of casual fans there to see the stars, especially Mine That Bird.

But where do those fans go now that MTB and others hit the shelf for a few months.

In Boston the Red Sox have always had a large fan-base but over the last decade they have done an incredible job building the casual fan base as well. Women wear pink hats and every kid has a blue Red Sox hat.

Horseracing has unsuccessfully built a casual fan base as we all know.

To build a fan-base in horseracing you need star power. You need the MTB's and Rachels to be running.

My proposal: Place 5 weeks in between the Triple Crown. This will ensure that most of your Derby horses not only come back to Baltimore, but to the Belmont as well. Its a perfect lead into the Travers and keeps the equine stars on the track. If you can get the casual fan to the Travers it'll be in TV's interest to get them to the Breeder's Cup.

Look at the Belmont yesterday, the top 4, ex MTB, was comprised of horses that didn't run in the Preakness and had a total of 12 starts between them. I hope you made money on them but honestly there were few casual fans there yesterday to see Summer Bird.

The theory has worked in other sports, Tiger, Williams sisters, Federer, Manning... I mean do they play all their majors within a few short weeks?

Time to change the Triple Crown schedule and keep the stars on the track and get those office arguments going again on why horse A is better than horse B!!!

ryesteve
06-07-2009, 10:15 AM
The theory has worked in other sports, Tiger, Williams sisters, Federer, Manning... I mean do they play all their majors within a few short weeks?Manning? Assuming you're talking about football, last I checked there are playoff games each weekend. They don't give them a month between each game to make sure everyone's aches and pains heal up.

Grits
06-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Timmaz, you are writing the exact words Wayne Lukas has been lamenting to any and every individual that would listen this week in the lead up to yesterday's race. He's been stating the need to reschedule this series for quite sometime now.

Good luck on that one. It could happen, but I sorta doubt it. Horseracing figureheads in the front office, state to state, agree on very little.

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2009, 02:26 AM
Time to change the Triple Crown schedule and keep the stars on the track and get those office arguments going again on why horse A is better than horse B!!!I would never support such an idea. The triple crown is perfect as is.

Why should we water down the series? IT should not be made any easier to win the triple crown. That's simply giving into all the problems that racing faces.

You want to build a sturdier, more drug-free breed, not give into their shortcomings even more....but that's what you would be doing by making it easier to win a TC....

timmaz
06-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I appreciate the passionate answer and agree that items such as medication issues and and wagering integrity need to be clean up. But does anyone really think that our answer is having another Triple Crown winner? I think that may actually be our 'last straw'. Ok we did, big deal.

If you take a look at the Men's NCAA bball tourney most cried foul when they went from 16 to 32 and then to 64. Actually that was brilliant. Most cried foul when hockey expanded and now fans in Montreal and Boston are watching fans go nuts in warmer climates. Ditto in football and now the NFL is contemplating expanding their schedule to 18 regular season games starting in August. Meaning that the Travers becomes ignored by an even greater audience.

I'm certainly not trying to make the Triple Crown easier I'm suggesting a marketing plan to gain more casual fans which won't be done without TV's involvement and the stars running in the races. I mean lets guess how many will show up to watch Rachel in the Mother Goose? As many did for Ghostzapper in the Met or watched Bernardini in the JCGC? TV won't be showing the stands that day.

Of course if tracks don't work together they'll just keep on closing.

and I'd never say never as horseracing may return one day, we all hope, but not without change.