PDA

View Full Version : 3gb switch

formula_2002
06-07-2009, 07:37 AM
my IT guy was able to change the boot file to include a 3gb switch for my computer with an windows xp professional os.

he could not do the same for another of my computers having a windows xp media center os.

any ideas how the boot file can be re-written?

Thanks

formula_2002
06-07-2009, 12:35 PM
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /3GB /fastdetect

the high lighted portion was added to the boot file.
I work with cad piping system software, recently up dated.
The update required a "re-allocation" of memory. the highlighted code works for the wp professional os but not wp media center os, which is on another computer.

headhawg
06-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I didn't think that there would be a difference between the two O/Ses. How much physical RAM in both? Is this a dual-boot computer? You can't (easily) have two operating systems on the same partition, e.g. ...partition(2)...

robert99
06-07-2009, 01:48 PM
MS have a page on 3gb and 4gb switch set ups.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

Applies to XP Home and Pro

formula_2002
06-07-2009, 04:14 PM
MS have a page on 3gb and 4gb switch set ups.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

Applies to XP Home and Pro
thanks.
I've been there a few times. I just can't put the two together (3gb switch and xp home)

formula_2002
06-07-2009, 04:26 PM
I didn't think that there would be a difference between the two O/Ses. How much physical RAM in both? Is this a dual-boot computer? You can't (easily) have two operating systems on the same partition, e.g. ...partition(2)...
the computer I'm refering to has but 1 operating system, xp media center.
It has a nominal 4gb of memory.
the boot file I want to change is as follows;

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

headhawg
06-07-2009, 04:55 PM
The reason that I asked about the dual-boot is that the "partition(X)" part of the ARC path refers to which partition the O/S is installed. Usually that would be the first partition, the "C:" drive, so I would have expected that value to be a "1" not a "2".

So, are you saying that you cannot add the /3GB switch to the ARC path, or when you do it doesn't change anything? I thought that MCE was just a superset of XP so I would think that making the same change to the boot.ini file would work. You might also have to add the /PAE switch, but I'm thinking that if it worked fine for XP Pro without it then it should be the same for MCE.

The only other thing that I can add is that it's possible the /3GB switch doesn't work on MCE but that seems unlikely. I don't have that O/S to test it on.

formula_2002
06-08-2009, 06:28 AM
The reason that I asked about the dual-boot is that the "partition(X)" part of the ARC path refers to which partition the O/S is installed. Usually that would be the first partition, the "C:" drive, so I would have expected that value to be a "1" not a "2".

So, are you saying that you cannot add the /3GB switch to the ARC path, or when you do it doesn't change anything? I thought that MCE was just a superset of XP so I would think that making the same change to the boot.ini file would work. You might also have to add the /PAE switch, but I'm thinking that if it worked fine for XP Pro without it then it should be the same for MCE.

The only other thing that I can add is that it's possible the /3GB switch doesn't work on MCE but that seems unlikely. I don't have that O/S to test it on.

Yep, it was added to the code and did not work.

headhawg
06-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Well, then the only thing that I can add is to try adding the /PAE switch to the boot.ini file before the /3GB switch. I doubt that will change anything so my conclusion is that the switch will not work with MCE, although I could not find out anything definitive about that.

Sorry that I couldn't be more help. Maybe someone has another suggestion that doesn't involve changing the MCE version to XP Pro.

formula_2002
06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
THANKS TO EVEYONE WHO REPLIED.
I seems to be impossible to use he 3gb switch with media center.

I may try loading xp pro