PDA

View Full Version : Are You Ready for the Digital Age?

Overlay
06-06-2009, 04:34 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31134616/

Despite the extension granted in February, the latest Nielsen surveys estimate that more than 10% of the nation's 114 million households with televisions will be partially or completely without reception after June 12 when the switch from analog signals to digital programming occurs. The head of the Federal Communications Commission says that lower-income families, the elderly, the handicapped, and homes where little or no English is spoken, predominantly in inner-city and rural areas, will be hit hardest.

Dave Schwartz
06-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah, but they can still watch on their $400 cell phones.

:lol:

Pace Cap'n
06-06-2009, 06:26 PM
And that's just the half of it. Cable companies are reducing programming and will not be carrying many channels in both digital and analog, requiring the rental of a set-top box for each TV in the hoime.

Read about it here...

www.pcworld.com/article/165545-2/how_the_unknown_digital_tv_ (http://www.pcworld.com/article/165545-2/how_the_unknown_digital_tv_transition_could_screw_ you.html)

but Cablevision has begun eliminating various duplicate analog feeds of stations that it carries in digital format. The affected channels include ABC Family, AMC, BET, CNN Headline News, CSPAN, FUSE, Galavision, History, Lifetime, MSNBC, MTV, MTV2, Spike TV, TV Land, VH1, and WE. To receive these channels, you must attach a cable box to each television you plan on using, at a cost of $6.75 per box per month.

Tom
06-06-2009, 06:48 PM
So now it becomes clear why this is being done....payolal.

Frankly, I have no use for digital TV - it sucks. Always breaking up, skipping.....very low tech crap. At least TW...my DISH is so far superior to cable it is not even close......cable cannot compare to satellite.

chickenhead
06-06-2009, 06:58 PM
And that's just the half of it. Cable companies are reducing programming and will not be carrying many channels in both digital and analog, requiring the rental of a set-top box for each TV in the hoime.

Read about it here...

www.pcworld.com/article/165545-2/how_the_unknown_digital_tv_ (http://www.pcworld.com/article/165545-2/how_the_unknown_digital_tv_transition_could_screw_ you.html)

Comcast eliminated analog cable channels as well, but they gave everyone 2 free converter boxes. Which is surprising, as they seem like a company that likes to nickel and dime people to death.

Pace Cap'n
06-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Are you sure that's not just the first year free?

chickenhead
06-06-2009, 08:58 PM
These aren't full blown boxes, they are like the simple converters needed for over the air on analog tvs (if you have a digital TV you don't need one) -- they are moving the basic cable to digital, but its not encrypted. You can pick it up with any digital TV.

boxcar
06-07-2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31134616/

Despite the extension granted in February, the latest Nielsen surveys estimate that more than 10% of the nation's 114 million households with televisions will be partially or completely without reception after June 12 when the switch from analog signals to digital programming occurs. The head of the Federal Communications Commission says that lower-income families, the elderly, the handicapped, and homes where little or no English is spoken, predominantly in inner-city and rural areas, will be hit hardest.

You mean to tell me that the poor "underclass" will not be getting a bailout from BO to help them out of their predictament? I guess they're small enough (read: insignificant, unimportant enough) to fail?

I find it amazing that it's always the people whom the libs champion that wind up getting the short end of the stick when dumb legislation is passed that is supposed to make things better in our society. Better...for whom?

Boxcar

Marshall Bennett
06-07-2009, 12:31 PM
You mean to tell me that the poor "underclass" will not be getting a bailout from BO to help them out of their predictament? I guess they're small enough (read: insignificant, unimportant enough) to fail?

I find it amazing that it's always the people whom the libs champion that wind up getting the short end of the stick when dumb legislation is passed that is supposed to make things better in our society. Better...for whom?

Boxcar
Ironic , had this been done a year ago look how many poor voters wouldn't have been brainwashed by the windbag . :D