PDA

View Full Version : Getting shut out

Valuist
06-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I understand we can't blame anybody but ourselves when we get shut out. But ever notice how when you find yourself in a hurry to get to the track/OTB/simulcast outlet, this is when you hit the barrage of red lights? Or get stuck behind either the unbelievably slow driver(s)? Or some new construction just started that you weren't aware of?

I found a new one today: a road detoured due to leaf trimming. I really liked Just Ben in the 2nd at Belmont, and with the early post time, everything gets changed around. After a few red lights I'm getting near the track, and sure enough, the road gets detoured to leaf trimming. I re-route, get to the track, run in just in time to see Just Ben winning by a city block. At least he wasn't a big price but considering how he won, he ran like a 1-5 shot.

fmolf
06-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I understand we can't blame anybody but ourselves when we get shut out. But ever notice how when you find yourself in a hurry to get to the track/OTB/simulcast outlet, this is when you hit the barrage of red lights? Or get stuck behind either the unbelievably slow driver(s)? Or some new construction just started that you weren't aware of?

I found a new one today: a road detoured due to leaf trimming. I really liked Just Ben in the 2nd at Belmont, and with the early post time, everything gets changed around. After a few red lights I'm getting near the track, and sure enough, the road gets detoured to leaf trimming. I re-route, get to the track, run in just in time to see Just Ben winning by a city block. At least he wasn't a big price but considering how he won, he ran like a 1-5 shot.
we've all been there... hope the rest of your day goes better

BetHorses!
06-06-2009, 05:10 PM
This is why I have not one but two backup phone accounts.

Bettowin
06-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Getting to the window late and getting shut out is a big positive ROI for me:)

If I really like a horse or a bet I take no chances and get there in plenty of time. If only I could get half of my last minute wagers back:)

andicap
06-09-2009, 09:16 AM
You tend to only remember the times you were shut out, not the losers. I was shut out a couple of weeks ago on a $50 horse at an OTB and was cursing until I recalled all the times I saved money by not getting my bet in!
:D

cosmo96
06-09-2009, 09:55 AM
How about when you are behind someone in the betting line that has a long list of $2.00 bets from the office. Some people are inconsiderate, or just plain stupid. I was in line at Turfway where a man tried to do his handicaping at the window. Stoopers that want the teller to scan their tickets. People that want to chat with the teller. Most of the tellers run them off. But still stupid. Speaking of stupid when eating in the track restaurant; have you ever noticed the people that don't stand or take off their hats for the National Anthem? I could go on and on. What about people that block aisles or entrances while chating. Dumb and dumber.

Bettowin
06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
How about when you are behind someone in the betting line that has a long list of $2.00 bets from the office. Some people are inconsiderate, or just plain stupid. I was in line at Turfway where a man tried to do his handicaping at the window. Stoopers that want the teller to scan their tickets. People that want to chat with the teller. Most of the tellers run them off. But still stupid. Speaking of stupid when eating in the track restaurant; have you ever noticed the people that don't stand or take off their hats for the National Anthem? I could go on and on. What about people that block aisles or entrances while chating. Dumb and dumber.

There are times you need to handicap the betting line as much as the race to get you bet in on time:)

Track Collector
06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
While it seems like we always miss a winner when we get shut out, it tends to mirror our long-term success rate. If one picks winners at a 20% rate, you will, in the LONG TERM, get shut out from a winning ticket approximately 1 out of 5 times. The key word here is long term.

If one bases their wagers on a specific odds or payout level (which requires you to wait as late as possible to make your wager), and the only avenue you have is the track or your favorite OTB, getting shut out is one of the risks you have to accept.

BlueShoe
06-09-2009, 11:24 AM
There are times you need to handicap the betting line as much as the race to get you bet in on time:)

How very true.Most of us could fill this thread with shutout stories.Since I have used the self automated machines since their inception,the problem has been not quite so bad as the manned teller windows tend to be.In choosing a line the best general advice is quite simple;avoid lines with a large number of bettors that are young,old,female,or certain minorities.Lines where most of the patrons are white males between the ages of 30 and 60 tend to move best.

ryesteve
06-09-2009, 11:33 AM
avoid lines with a large number that are young,old,female. Lines where most of the patrons are males between the ages of 30 and 60 tend to move best.This is excellent advice when choosing a line at a row of porta-johns, but at mutuel windows, I generally find the opposite to be true. The experienced bettors are the ones setting up hundreds of combinations on their dime supers, as well as getting in bets for 3 simulcast races that are about to go off within the next 5 minutes. The novice bettor will probably take longer on a per-bet basis, but since they're doing a whole lot less at the window, I seldom see them tying up lines that badly at all.

BIG HIT
06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
At hazelpark three min to go got in line where guy was pal of teller even when he was done makeing bet's about thridy sec left they shut the bull till horse went off.The thing is was going to bet a tri which rarely do it won.I know partly my fault but he had plenty of time after to take the money for my bet.Hazalpark had worst teller's rude and could care less this was year's ago when we were booming was there 2yr ago still the same

MzDucat
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
When they spread the racing form on the counter and started to handicap, I would say, "You have to pick them out ahead sir. You are mistaking the line for the Christian Science Reading Room."

One of my favorite guys tapped a guy on the shoulder after 4 minutes and said, "Old man, why don't you just pitch a tent?" No malice, just an inquiry.

MzDucat
06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Bettowin:

You have just quoted the five best handicappers I ever knew. Picking the horses comes first, picking the line comes next. You definitely know whereof you speak. If I ever come to your locale I'll ask you to point out the worst offenders, on both sides of the window.

fmolf
06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Bettowin:

You have just quoted the five best handicappers I ever knew. Picking the horses comes first, picking the line comes next. You definitely know whereof you speak. If I ever come to your locale I'll ask you to point out the worst offenders, on both sides of the window.
give me the old days when there were sparate lines epending on how much you bet!...i know you remember those days Mzducat....$5 exactas and the $50 window....more people at the track smaller lines!....i think i just dated myself :D

BlueShoe
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
give me the old days when there were sparate lines epending on how much you bet!...i know you remember those days Mzducat....$5 exactas and the $50 window....more people at the track smaller lines!....i think i just dated myself :D

Ah yes,the old paper ticket,bet and cash at separate window days.The modern system came to SoCal in 1979,so its been 30 years.The $10 win line usually flowed smoothly,with the occasional jackass holding things up.Lines could be quite long on those busy pre simulcasting,pre internet,go-to-the-track-days,so the shutout risk was actually higher then than it is today,imo.

Bettowin
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Bettowin:

Ha you got that right:) The first thing I do is scope out the tellers and find a couple that really know what they are doing. Those are the two lines I handicap to get "to the front" in the quickest way.

PS - I do use vouchers most of the time but for a lot of bets or combos in a short amount of time nothing beats a teller who can punch them out as fast as I can say them:)

strapper
06-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Getting shut out is the worst feeling in the world isn't it? But I find it a good omen if you get shut out and your horse runs up the track. It does seem lately that when I get shut out the horse(s) you usually run well - and that's not a good omen!

Imriledup
06-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Here's a question for everyone. When you get shut out, do you root for your pick to win or to lose and why?

Valuist
06-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Here's a question for everyone. When you get shut out, do you root for your pick to win or to lose and why?

Definitely to lose. I don't need the moral victory of selecting the right horse and not getting compensated for it.

Imriledup
06-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Definitely to lose. I don't need the moral victory of selecting the right horse and not getting compensated for it.

This is the response that i would expect many to have. Its a natural instinct to want your pick to flop. If the pick flops its like you won the money that you would have lost.

I believe that the right thing to do is to root for your selection. You want to know that you are betting (or trying to bet) on live runners that actually do well.

Bettowin
06-10-2009, 02:42 AM
This thread makes me wish I would have signed up with the name I used on a different forum that was shut down.

Is it too late to change one's name?

Track Phantom
06-10-2009, 02:49 AM
This is what makes this game ever elusive and keep us coming back. Just last Sunday was a great example. A guy had asked me to help him find a $15k claimer to claim to run at CBY this summer. I tipped him off to Not So Fast Festus, a MN bred running on Sunday.

In any event, it was my bet of the day, I singled it in about 5 different pick 4 combo's. My final bet was Not So Fast Festus over 4 horses over all over all in a 10c super. Got shut out of that final bet and the 10c super paid $1750. Oh, Not So Fast Festus won and I still missed the pick 4.

louisianawoman
06-10-2009, 03:16 AM
I work at a tract behind the window. If someone is late getting to the window, because of whatever, you ought to be on the receiving end. WOW!

redeye007
06-10-2009, 06:15 AM
when I bet in las vegas it seems like whenever I wait until a minute or two til post all the sports bettors come out of the woodwork at that moment and tie up the betting windows with more problems than the county welfare department and I get shut out. of course I learned my lesson and make my bets early to avoid being shut out. :)

Paulieballgame
06-10-2009, 07:40 AM
First thing my dad taught my brother and i about betting at the track is be ready when you are on the line. Write it down word for word what you are going to say and if you are unsure, step off the line.

eastie
06-10-2009, 08:33 AM
if you need a script to make a bet, you're in trouble.

last saturday, i went to a teller at the track for the first time in a while. I switched lines 3 times and still almost got shut out. Why anyone would not use a self bet machine is beyond me. Good tellers are almost a thing of the past. One used to have a couple of guys who know how to punch tickets. Now all the good tellers are dead. The best ones were the ones who worked at the dog track at night. They could punch tickets faster than you could call out the bets.
You could go up and say gimme the 4 to be there with the 1 2 8 9 in tris and supers and not thave the guy look like you just asked him the theory of relativity. The one trip to a teller that's always a good one is when you go see Jim Hannon at Suffolk Downs. He is always happy to give you a "now they're all in" to make you feel better.

Worst shutout ever...Timely Writer in the Hopeful. De to idiot teller at Saratoga. I can still see those Orange silks go flying by. Everybody made a touchdown except me.

cosmo96
06-10-2009, 10:28 AM
The automated machines or betting on line may be easier. But, when I get a big hit, nothing is better that going to a cute teller and watch her eyes get big as she count the $100 bills.

BlueShoe
06-10-2009, 11:07 AM
After decades of shut outs and near shut outs,am convinced that the Racing Gods have given us laws that go like this---If the guy in front of you gets his bet in but you get shut out your horse will win.If you make it but the guy right behind you gets shut out your horse will lose.Just as on the recent dq thread,would gladly trade the times I just made it for the times I didnt.

andicap
06-11-2009, 07:02 PM
The automated machines or betting on line may be easier. But, when I get a big hit, nothing is better that going to a cute teller and watch her eyes get big as she count the $100 bills.

Well why not bet at the machines and cash at the teller? That way she only sees you when you win. :D

cosmo96
06-14-2009, 04:14 PM
I thought about this thread when I went to the track Saturday. It seemed that some jerks were taking a lot of time at the betting window. I think this is some sort of a power play. This is stupid. But, some people with low self esteem need to control. I think it makes them feel good to know that they are holding up the line and may cause betters to be shut out.

macguy
06-15-2009, 12:27 AM
How can you guys be getting shut-out? These days they don't even close the betting until 30 seconds after the gate opens... :D