PDA

View Full Version : nostalgia question -- "Poor Dick"

highnote
06-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Back in the 60's or maybe evern early 70's there used to be old wrecked cars along the highway in the midwest (Rt.80 or Rt 30?), somewhere between Ohio and Wyoming, that had the words "Poor Dick" painted on them.

They were a reminder to people traveling the highways to be careful or they might end up like "Poor Dick".

I tried finding pictures of them on the internet, but couldn't find any.

Does anyone remember those?

dutchboy
06-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Are you thinking of the Cadillac Ranch along Route 66 in Amarillo, Texas built in 1974?

lsbets
06-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I can only imagine the results on Google images when you type in "poor dick". :lol:

highnote
06-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Are you thinking of the Cadillac Ranch along Route 66 in Amarillo, Texas built in 1974?

I don't think it was there because I had never been to Texas until I was in my 20's. I'm pretty sure it was in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa or Nebraska. Is the Cadillac Ranch what I think it is? :eek:

Lsbets -- when I typed in Poor Dick it was either Dick Cheney or XXX. I didn't search down very far in the returns of the query, though. :D

dutchboy
06-07-2009, 10:04 AM
It is 10 cadillac cars buried nose down along Route 66. Created as an art exhibit and people are welcome to stop and paint on them. A few years ago someone painted them pink. If you google the term Cadillac Ranch one of the top replies should be this. In 40 years I am sure a lot of things have been painted on them.

I don't think it was there because I had never been to Texas until I was in my 20's. I'm pretty sure it was in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa or Nebraska. Is the Cadillac Ranch what I think it is? :eek:

Lsbets -- when I typed in Poor Dick it was either Dick Cheney or XXX. I didn't search down very far in the returns of the query, though. :D

highnote
06-07-2009, 10:35 AM
It is 10 cadillac cars buried nose down along Route 66. Created as an art exhibit and people are welcome to stop and paint on them. A few years ago someone painted them pink. If you google the term Cadillac Ranch one of the top replies should be this. In 40 years I am sure a lot of things have been painted on them.

Guess I was thinking Cadillac Ranch was like the Mustang Ranch. :D

There is an art exhibit in Nebraska called CarHenge. Same sort of thing.

www.carhenge.com

dav4463
06-07-2009, 11:18 PM
I can only imagine the results on Google images when you type in "poor dick". :lol:

Better turn on "safe search" ! ;)

HUSKER55
06-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I think I took the wrong turn. Any Mustang Ranch I went to had nothing to do with cars. :D