PDA

View Full Version : No Colonial Downs on Twinspires

Maryland Owner
06-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Twinspires has no agreement with Colonial Downs this year - think they carried Colonial last year. The agent I spoke with at Twinspires said that they didn't believe that they would carry Colonial at all - sounded like they are not even trying to conclude an agreement.

deathandgravity
06-06-2009, 12:42 AM
yea... I was upset to see no CNL on XPRESSBET!
Love CNL Downs!
:mad:

turfnsport
06-06-2009, 12:50 AM
I'd be interested to know how many of you guys did not bet CNL on Friday because it was not available at TW and Xpressbet.

I'm returning to the CNL radio show this year and I want to make sure I mention how idiotic this is.

11:00am ET
www.ESPN950am.com

Millpond68
06-06-2009, 01:03 AM
I for one did not bet due to it not being carried by TS. CD is one of my favorite tracks with plenty of FULL fields which are hard to find in racing today.
I hope TS and CD reach an agreement as soon as possible.

miesque
06-06-2009, 01:06 AM
I would bet a good chunk of change that this is a result of new legislation which goes into effect July 1, 2009 dictating a 10% source market fee with an additional 1% to the Breeders Fund and the half a percent to the Virginia Racing Commission.

eastie
06-06-2009, 01:34 AM
i'm one who couldn't bet and I'm ill about it:(

rrbauer
06-06-2009, 09:11 AM
I would bet a good chunk of change that this is a result of new legislation which goes into effect July 1, 2009 dictating a 10% source market fee with an additional 1% to the Breeders Fund and the half a percent to the Virginia Racing Commission.

Is Alex Pope involved there? Or, just a bunch of know-nothings-about-horse-racing that are taking their cues from the horse owners?

FWIW CNL is on Youbet's menu.

NoCal Boy
06-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Twinspires is in a dispute over licensing in VA. Youbet settled the licensing issue in 2008 and agreed to pay certain source market fees.

miesque
06-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Is Alex Pope involved there? Or, just a bunch of know-nothings-about-horse-racing that are taking their cues from the horse owners?

FWIW CNL is on Youbet's menu.

I am actually pretty ticked off about this and unfortunately I found out about this after the legislation had already passed and it ws only because I was flipping through Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred magazine and saw it listed as an "accomplishment" under the Virginia Thoroughbred Association update part at the end of the magazine.

cj
06-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Apparently, Colonial thinks a lot of people actually care about the racing there.

Tom
06-06-2009, 11:48 AM
What's Colonial? A fair track? :rolleyes:

eastie
06-06-2009, 11:58 AM
fair to middlin, actually it's awesome

startngate
06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Given the new legislation that passed, once any current contracts expire I would be very surprised to see Colonial available on any ADW other than Colonial's own ADW moving forward.

It's insane what they have done. Vast majority of the population in Virginia would affect the Maryland Jockey Club more with regards to source market fees, yet the VRC and Colonial want everyone to believe it affects their business when they have no OTB's anywhere close to northern VA.

Sorry guys, dumb law. They will see just how dumb next year, when all the ADW's stop taking Colonial and stop paying source market fees.

If by some crazy chance the AG in Virginia decides to go after the ADW's in court, it will be ugly when they lose on anti-trust issues. Will be a great result for the ADW's and I'm sure they would all love nothing more than to get this settled over a track that only runs 30 or so thoroughbred days and a harness meet no one cares about.

trying2win
06-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Who needs Twinspires anyway? Premier Turf Club is not making excuses re the Colonial Downs signal. PTC is carrying Colonial Downs, and you get a cash rebate to boot for your business.

T2W
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure."

--Don Wilder

startngate
06-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Who needs Twinspires anyway? Premier Turf Club is not making excuses re the Colonial Downs signal. PTC is carrying Colonial Downs, and you get a cash rebate to boot for your business.Spoken like someone who doesn't live in Virginia. Residents there currently need a licensed ADW in VA to place bets. After the new rules go into effect they need an ADW that pays the SMF and taxes specified to take VA residents ... or ignores/challenges the law.

Premier Turf is not currently licensed in Virginia, so either they are not taking VA customers, or they are doing so illegally and Colonial just doesn't know about it. Given the SMF requirements under the new law, VA residents would not be able to get much of anything as a rebate (if any rebate at all) from PTC on Colonial ... or any other racetrack for that matter.

It will be easy for an ADW to get Colonial's signal under the new law if they are not operating in Virginia. That way there would be no source market fees or taxes to worry about. If an ADW wants to take VA customers then they are not going to get the Colonial signal without complying with the law.

My guess is the larger ADW's will drop the Colonial signal and fight any attempts by the track, racing commission, or the VA AG's office to stop them from taking bets from VA residents. The short meet is not a big deal to lose for them, and winning a case there would have far reaching benefits for the ADW's.

I have long thought VA would be the battleground for this since it took so long for any of the ADW's (other than Colonial's own) to get licensed there and the meets were so short that the ADW's really wouldn't care about losing them in the fight. They can't fight in CA or NJ because the content is too valuable. The fallout from this is going to be fun to watch.

rrbauer
06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Spoken like someone who doesn't live in Virginia. Residents there currently need a licensed ADW in VA to place bets. After the new rules go into effect they need an ADW that pays the SMF and taxes specified to take VA residents ... or ignores/challenges the law.

Ah, it's the old, restrict the customers, tax their transactions and show them who's boss routine. I played one race at Colonial last year and it looks like that might be my PR for the track.

eastie
06-10-2009, 08:36 AM
got alive in the pick 4 yesterday and got beat by a hundred dollar horse in the last end of it. can't believe it wasn't a 3 out of 4. what a biiter pill. where can i bet this track without going to the track > and how easy is it to get signed up ?

lamboguy
06-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Who needs Twinspires anyway? Premier Turf Club is not making excuses re the Colonial Downs signal. PTC is carrying Colonial Downs, and you get a cash rebate to boot for your business.

T2W
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure."

--Don WilderUBET takes them, and you can get better rebates than with anyone else there.

Spendabuck85
06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
From drf.com
Scott Daruty, the president of TrackNet, said Thursday that the blackout has been precipitated by a law that is set to go into effect on July 1. The law will require account-wagering companies to pay Virginia racetracks and horsemen 11.5 percent of every bet by a Virginia resident.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/104591.html

DJofSD
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
If there's a single track that I would love to handicap right now, it's CNL. But the power brokers throw up road blocks instead of finding solutions.

So, screw that noise. I'm hanging lose until DMR. And, I'm going to make the most of this years meeting since it could be the last harrah.

In the meantime, until that golden day in July, I'm taking some golfing lessons with my son. Who knows, I could start to anticipate the weekends to create divots instead of handicapping and wagering.

showbet
06-25-2009, 09:12 AM
UBET takes them, and you can get better rebates than with anyone else there.
From an email I just received from Youbet:

Track Update: Colonial Downs no longer on Youbet.com‏

Because you wagered on Colonial Downs with us this year, we wanted to inform you that Colonial Downs is not available on Youbet.com as of Tuesday, June 23rd until further notice. Please accept our regrets for any inconvenience this may cause.

Suze
06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Twinspires has no agreement with Colonial Downs this year - think they carried Colonial last year. The agent I spoke with at Twinspires said that they didn't believe that they would carry Colonial at all - sounded like they are not even trying to conclude an agreement.

YOUBET just sent me this email yesterday:

Because you wagered on Colonial Downs with us this year, we wanted to inform you that Colonial Downs is not available on Youbet.com as of Tuesday, June 23rd until further notice. Please accept our regrets for any inconvenience this may cause.

I've got 3 accounts, Youbet, Twinspires, and Philly Park Phonebet. So far Phonebet still has Colonial.
Suze

P.S. I am new here and I am really enjoying reading through this forum!

Suze
06-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi there, I have Youbet and they only gives cash and wagering credits to levels of $12,500 monthly and up, which makes no sense to me. More cash and wagering credits = more wagering. I am just below that level, I get merchandise, yay.
Suze

Glad I found this forum, it helps to rant sometimes! :)