PDA

View Full Version : Big Sandy or Big Muddy?

W2G
06-05-2009, 08:55 PM
For you locals and Belmont veterans, what's the scoop? How tricky is the call as to how the courses play tomorrow?

Does the main slowly dry out like most other dirt surfaces giving the closers advantage over the speed?

Can we safely assume a yielding turf course?

fmolf
06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
For you locals and Belmont veterans, what's the scoop? How tricky is the call as to how the courses play tomorrow?

Does the main slowly dry out like most other dirt surfaces giving the closers advantage over the speed?

Can we safely assume a yielding turf course?
turf course will be soft and they will rate the track as fast..but my experience tells me that years ago it would have been rated as good generally it does dry out quickly because of the sandy track composition..today they sealed it,but it also rained for ten hours it may be a bit slower than a dry fast track ...for some reason tracks do not use the good designation any longer..now it is wet/fast guess it sounds better than good, ambigious as it is

Figman
06-05-2009, 09:24 PM
The 12th and 13 races on Belmont Day were originally scheduled for the turf.
They will be run on the main track.

PaceAdvantage
06-05-2009, 11:31 PM
The rain is tapering off around Belmont as I write this...Saturday will be Sunny and 75 degrees...there's a good chance the track will be fast for the first race of the day if they work it enough (which I'm sure they will).

aaron
06-06-2009, 08:57 AM
The track will probably be listed as fast,but its my guess that if you look at the jockeys coming back after the 1st race some of them will be covered with mud. Tracks like to list their surfaces as fast because the handle is usually higher on fast tracks. In most cases bettors at simulcast facilities will not have any other information and will not look to see how the jockeys look after returning from their rides.