PDA

View Full Version : Request For Advice

aceforever
06-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to the betting scene and would like some advice from you guys. So here's what I was trying to do and here is my experience so far:

I went to Google and tried to learn about exotic betting -- Superfecta to be specific. This landed me on the reading material for what is called as a "back loaded superfecta". Now I will quote you what the experienced author says on this website I found via google:

"If your Superfecta ticket would look like:

1,8,6/1,8,6/1,8,6,7,2,4/1,8,6,7,2,4.

This back-loaded partial would cost $72 for a $1 Superfecta ticket."

Please Note: I found this information on a blog "How to Effectively Bet Superfectas" at this website:
http://blog.winningponies.com/2007/10/15/how-to-effectively-bet-superfectas/

Now initially I was very excited when I learned about constructing this "Back loaded Superfecta" and I so today I decided to go to the Turfway Track to see how much it would cost me for tomorrow's race if I constructed it the way it is mentioned above.

So I went to the window and said to the gentleman, "Sir I would like to place a bet but I would like to know how much it would cost me first. Could you please tell me how to calculate the cost of the following bet:"

I said to him using the above example, "lets say I would like a back loaded superfecta:

1,8,6 with 1,8,6 with 1,8,6,7,2,4 with 1,8,6,7,2,4

Now how much would that cost me?"

The gentleman at the window said.."well it is very simple...here's how you calculate it...

Number of horses in the first row X Number of horses in the second row X Number of horses in the third row X Number of horses in the fourth row

He said that if I did the above calculation, it would give me the approximate price of how much the ticket would cost.

Now going back to the above mentioned example: It would mean:

3 (Horses) X 3 (Horses) X 6 (Horses) X 6 (Hourses) = 324"

So he mentioned to me saying that it would cost me approximately $324.

Now could you gentlemen please explain to me.....Which calculation is correct?

This is very confusing because more that one Teller at the Turfway track said almost exact same thing...none of them said $72 for a $1 Superfecta...

Can someone please guide me. I would really like to bet tomorrow but I am very confused. Is there a terminology that I am missing...should it be said in a certian way?

Please kindly help...

Thanks..

Imriledup
06-05-2009, 08:25 PM
3 x 2 x 4 x 3

rrbauer
06-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to the betting scene and would like some advice from you guys. So here's what I was trying to do and here is my experience so far:

I went to Google and tried to learn about exotic betting -- Superfecta to be specific. This landed me on the reading material for what is called as a "back loaded superfecta". Now I will quote you what the experienced author says on this website I found via google:

"If your Superfecta ticket would look like:

1,8,6/1,8,6/1,8,6,7,2,4/1,8,6,7,2,4.

This back-loaded partial would cost $72 for a $1 Superfecta ticket."

Please Note: I found this information on a blog "How to Effectively Bet Superfectas" at this website:
http://blog.winningponies.com/2007/10/15/how-to-effectively-bet-superfectas/

Now initially I was very excited when I learned about constructing this "Back loaded Superfecta" and I so today I decided to go to the Turfway Track to see how much it would cost me for tomorrow's race if I constructed it the way it is mentioned above.

So I went to the window and said to the gentleman, "Sir I would like to place a bet but I would like to know how much it would cost me first. Could you please tell me how to calculate the cost of the following bet:"

I said to him using the above example, "lets say I would like a back loaded superfecta:

1,8,6 with 1,8,6 with 1,8,6,7,2,4 with 1,8,6,7,2,4

Now how much would that cost me?"

The gentleman at the window said.."well it is very simple...here's how you calculate it...

Number of horses in the first row X Number of horses in the second row X Number of horses in the third row X Number of horses in the fourth row

He said that if I did the above calculation, it would give me the approximate price of how much the ticket would cost.

Now going back to the above mentioned example: It would mean:

3 (Horses) X 3 (Horses) X 6 (Horses) X 6 (Hourses) = 324"

So he mentioned to me saying that it would cost me approximately $324.

Now could you gentlemen please explain to me.....Which calculation is correct?

This is very confusing because more that one Teller at the Turfway track said almost exact same thing...none of them said $72 for a $1 Superfecta...

Can someone please guide me. I would really like to bet tomorrow but I am very confused. Is there a terminology that I am missing...should it be said in a certian way?

Please kindly help...

Thanks..

Maybe you should concentrate on picking a winner from the 1,8,6 before you worry about what comes next. Playing a superfecta is like buying a yacht. If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. That goes double if you can't figure what the ticket should cost.

njcurveball
06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I am a newbie to the betting scene and .............

I don't begrudge you gambling for a good time, so if that is your goal, then Superfectas sound reasonable.

At this point listening to other peoples betting advice is like picking up Tiger Woods club and thinking you can hit the ball just as far and just as accurate.

The Superfecta pool is ripe for profit, but you have to be good at picking 3rd and 4th place horses. Wheeling and putting in tickets for $100+ is a quick path to maxing out credit cards. I have seen people do this.

First off, handicap the race. If the horse you like is 5-1 to win, play that one. Perhaps put a horse or two in with him in exactas and watch the race.

If you have a favorite, then find a 5-1+ for the 2nd spot and look at exactas paying $25+. Play the favorite on top of 2 or 3 horses.

Concentrate on the top spot, which is exactly what RRbauer said in the previous post. If you cannot make money with a winner or an exacta, why do you think playing hundreds more will be successful in Superfectas?

Greyfox
06-05-2009, 08:39 PM
If you are a beginner, stick to picking winners.

To calculate a ticket where you are using the same horses and adding as you go down, let n = # horses on the top tier.
Second tier = n-1
Third tier = n-2
Fourth tier = n-3.

So your ticket will cost n x (n-1) x (n-2) x (n-3) for a $ 1 ticket.

In the example you gave, n =3 in Tiers 1& 2, the 6 in Tiers 3 & 4.

3 x (3-1) x (6-2) x (6-3) = 72

Please note that this formula does not work when you start mixing numbers on different tiers. It only works on vertical exotics. It does not work on horizontal exotics such as Pick 3's.

fmolf
06-05-2009, 09:28 PM
If you are a beginner, stick to picking winners.

To calculate a ticket where you are using the same horses and adding as you go down, let n = # horses on the top tier.
Second tier = n-1
Third tier = n-2
Fourth tier = n-3.

So your ticket will cost n x (n-1) x (n-2) x (n-3) for a $ 1 ticket.

In the example you gave, n =3 in Tiers 1& 2, the 6 in Tiers 3 & 4.

3 x (3-1) x (6-2) x (6-3) = 72

Please note that this formula does not work when you start mixing numbers on different tiers. It only works on vertical exotics. It does not work on horizontal exotics such as Pick 3's. trifectas can be bet the same way and are less expensive.....1,8/1,6,8/1,4,6,8 is 2x2x2=$8 adding horses in any slot will increase the cost.....1,6,8/1,6,8/1,4,6,8 is 3x2x2=$12...or 1,6,8/1,4,6,8/1,4,6,8,9 is 3x3x3= $27

another way to bet this tri or super is like this...1/6,8/4,6,8...6,8/1/4,6,8...6,8/4,6,8/1 is...(2x2)+(2x2)+(2x2)=$12......good luck to you