PDA

View Full Version : Downloaders for multiple BRIS files?

CBedo
06-05-2009, 01:32 PM
For those of you who subscribe to the unlimted charts plans or download lots of data files every day, I'm just wondering if you use a downloader to automate the process of downloading all the files. I have experimented with a couple (firefox add-ins) and am still not happy with them. I will write one to do what I want if I have to, but I was hoping one of you would have a recommendation for something that was more adequate than what I've seen so far.

Thanks.

dartman51
06-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I use File Grabber. It's FREE from Thoro Tech and Equisim. I have been using it for years. It will let you download part or ALL tracks for a given day. You specify which tracks you want. It will even store them by track and year. You can download datafiles from TSN or BRIS, also xrd files and charts.

http://www.thorotech.com/index2.html

click on FREE SOFTWARE.

Hope this helps.

Tom
06-05-2009, 02:47 PM
If you have a multi-file file, and run the utility to join them into a single, is it compatible with the single file you download, or is it a different set up?

dartman51
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
If you have a multi-file file, and run the utility to join them into a single, is it compatible with the single file you download, or is it a different set up?

Tom, I have never tried it, as I only use single file format. But in the documentation it says that it does not delete the multi file, so if something wasn't right, you would still have the original. Worth a try, as the PRICE is right.:)

cj
06-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I use DownloadThemAll with Firefox and it works perfectly once you get it set up. I can certainly help with the settings if you tell me which type files you are grabbing.

I get scratches and comprehensive charts every day in a few seconds.

dartman51
06-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Tom, I have never tried it, as I only use single file format. But in the documentation it says that it does not delete the multi file, so if something wasn't right, you would still have the original. Worth a try, as the PRICE is right.:)

I remembered I had a handful of MULTI FILES on another drive, that I did a test with. I just ran them through the multi2single program, and it worked great. I then ran the resulting file through 2 programs that require single file format, and THEY worked great without a hitch.:ThmbUp:

DJofSD
06-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I use DownloadThemAll with Firefox and it works perfectly once you get it set up. I can certainly help with the settings if you tell me which type files you are grabbing.

I get scratches and comprehensive charts every day in a few seconds.
I try to use DTA to scrape pages from the BRIS web site. I always end up with the challenge/response foiling my download sessions. It's a royal pain in the backside.

cj
06-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I try to use DTA to scrape pages from the BRIS web site. I always end up with the challenge/response foiling my download sessions. It's a royal pain in the backside.

Which files are you trying to download? I'm doing the Comprehensive Charts files from BRIS, and the scratches from Equibase. I have never had a single issue with either. Now results or free charts, I don't know.

CBedo
06-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks CJ. That's what I was trying to use, and wasn't having much success, (but I was testing on some free stuff first which could have been problematic). I will definitely get with you about settings. I will be grabbing ProCaps, Comprehensive Chart Files & scratches.

JustRalph
06-06-2009, 08:04 AM
damn, I forgot all about Nathan's file grabber..........

Thanks for the reminder................ :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
06-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Which files are you trying to download? I'm doing the Comprehensive Charts files from BRIS, and the scratches from Equibase. I have never had a single issue with either. Now results or free charts, I don't know.
I D/L the Instant Entries pages. I've tried some of the other pages as a sanity check. They seemingly all generate the challenge/response dialog.

So, just to be clear, DownLoadThemAll works just fine. It's the CGI script on the BRISNET server that causes me problems. After so many pages are D/L the challenge/response gets involved resulting in the file being 211 bytes with not any valid data and some CGI statements.

BIG49010
06-07-2009, 05:54 AM
I remembered I had a handful of MULTI FILES on another drive, that I did a test with. I just ran them through the multi2single program, and it worked great. I then ran the resulting file through 2 programs that require single file format, and THEY worked great without a hitch.:ThmbUp:

Is this for the result charts or the DRF files, or both?

eqitec
06-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Can someone explain what added value is contained in the BRIS multi-file format vs. the single? I've looked at both formats and nothing stands out. Thanks.

BIG49010
06-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Can someone explain what added value is contained in the BRIS multi-file format vs. the single? I've looked at both formats and nothing stands out. Thanks.

I believe they are the same data wise, but the multi drf is seperated into 4 files that are limited to 255 columns so you can use them in older spreadsheets that were arround when I started doing this 20 years ago.

ranchwest
06-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know if File Grabber works with Vista? I tried to load the program and I can't find it.

Handle
11-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Yes, The File Grabber works fine on Vista. What do you mean by "can't find it"?