PDA

View Full Version : Epsom Racing Odds

Rocklane
06-05-2009, 12:40 PM
I saw a couple races from Epsom (Ireland?/England?) race course today and noticed that they were showing odds on both the win and place pools. Does any track in the US offer such odds? Being mostly a win, win/place bettor, I think I might like to see the actual odds instead of trying to watch the pools. Any thoughts on this subject? Was I reading the board correctly?

Also when I watch a foriegn race, the horses seem much smaller/skinnier. Is it the camera angle, just my imagination or are the horses indeed smaller?

robert99
06-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I saw a couple races from Epsom (Ireland?/England?) race course today and noticed that they were showing odds on both the win and place pools. Does any track in the US offer such odds? Being mostly a win, win/place bettor, I think I might like to see the actual odds instead of trying to watch the pools. Any thoughts on this subject? Was I reading the board correctly?

Also when I watch a foriegn race, the horses seem much smaller/skinnier. Is it the camera angle, just my imagination or are the horses indeed smaller?

The odds you see are nothing to do with pool betting. They are odds that bookmakers at the course will bet at. Once you make the bet the odds do not change. There is no tax or takeout to pay either. For betting, UK is a free country.

Top class turf horses can be a little bigger than dirt horses - perhaps you are watching from too far away ie USA.? :)

Rocklane
06-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks man. I kind of thought I wasn't getting the jist of the graphic.

Humph
06-06-2009, 04:28 AM
Once you make the bet the odds do not change. There is no tax or takeout to pay either. For betting, UK is a free country.

The British government has finally relented with betting tax then ? Didn't it used to be 9 or 10 % up until fairly recently ?

And British and Irish bookies take out more than their own fair share - much of which is money the industry just kisses bye - wouldn't you say ?

I don't know if you know, but how much are they charging for a Queen's Stand ticket today at the Derby ?

RicksonG
06-06-2009, 06:08 AM
The odds you see are nothing to do with pool betting. They are odds that bookmakers at the course will bet at. Once you make the bet the odds do not change. There is no tax or takeout to pay either. For betting, UK is a free country.

Top class turf horses can be a little bigger than dirt horses - perhaps you are watching from too far away ie USA.? :)

Aren't you forgetting that the bookmakers control the betting industry in the UK ?

robert99
06-06-2009, 09:51 AM
The British government has finally relented with betting tax then ? Didn't it used to be 9 or 10 % up until fairly recently ?

And British and Irish bookies take out more than their own fair share - much of which is money the industry just kisses bye - wouldn't you say ?

I don't know if you know, but how much are they charging for a Queen's Stand ticket today at the Derby ?

Betting tax has been zero on course since the 60's.
All betting tax, including for professionals, was zeroed as long ago as 2001.

Bookmakers contribute 15% of their gross earnings to national tax. They fund the racing levy - why should they pay more just for racing? No it is the losing punter and racegoer that funds racing and the monies paid by owners, less any prizemoney they take out.

£55 unless you have a personal invite.

RicksonG
No bookmakers do not control the betting industry in UK - this is controlled by Her Majesty's Home Office and regulated by the Gambling Commission.

RicksonG
06-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for clarifiying this robert99.

However, what about the bookmakers controling the odds both on and off course in the UK ?

Also, isn't there a significant problem encountered by bettors with restrictions imposed on their accounts by bookmakers over there ?

robert99
06-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for clarifiying this robert99.

However, what about the bookmakers controling the odds both on and off course in the UK ?

Also, isn't there a significant problem encountered by bettors with restrictions imposed on their accounts by bookmakers over there ?

The market controls the odds for horseracing. The on-course and shop markets are closely aligned and Betfair is also used to further align bookmaker prices. If they were not aligned, then money drifts from one to the other until they are aligned - a real free market. Punters can move these markets. For other sports there are fixed odds offered. It is up to the bettor to take a view if those odds are acceptable or to go to another bookmaker with better odds. Several websites keep track of the varying odds on offer. It is a free market, not a fixed one, as your question implies.

Account betting is recorded and your betting history is computer analysed. Restrictions can apply if you bet stupidly - that is only go to one bookmaker when he is top price or make bets where it appears that the bookmaker is not getting a fair chance to beat you, or want to bet a horse that they are taking too much money on then they won't want to take any more. If you go to a one man band bookmaker and want £000's to win on a favourite then he cannot accommodate the risk. If you go to a London shop where they regularly bet in £500 units you will get bets on. One guy had two bets with on course bookmakers with £75,000 to win, each bet in cash, at the Epsom Derby meeting today - horse came second.
If you talk to the traders so that they get to know you then you will get bets on at good prices. If you get refused then there are many, many others to choose from.
Betfair does not restrict anyone from backing or laying bets - you just need the bets to be matched by other punters.

hencicleva
06-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Robert, so what do you think of Sea the Stars? Any chance we see him over here in the BC?

robert99
06-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Robert, so what do you think of Sea the Stars? Any chance we see him over here in the BC?

A superb horse. 8f speed, ability, agility, high cruise, effortless high acceleration off of GR1 cruising pace and stamina for 10 furlongs plus.
Any that can beat 6 of Coolmore's best without getting out of breath is really special.
StS will run in Irish Derby next if ground good/firm.
Owners are from Hong Kong so may be aimed at the top Far East Autumn races. He was trained up to win the 2000 Guineas earlier this year and hard trained to ensure winning today's Derby so he may miss the summer top races and be refreshed for the Autumn - he has many viable options.

Odds of 6/1 for Breeders Cup Classic and 7/2 for the Arc give an idea of how good they think this horse is.

RicksonG
06-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Okay, thanks for the reply robert,

The whole deal of getting a bet on seems like a lot of work in the UK, personally, I'd prefer the idea of taking the side of the house and making lay bets on betfair.
Instead of running around the city for £500 x 10, or hanging around the racetrack, pick and choose the races to play and let the action come to you....

Nice win by Sea The Stars by the way, pretty good trainer also!