PDA

View Full Version : Turf Writer Turbulence

Indulto
06-04-2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog.php/Zasts-TrackWords/comments/2009-06-01stronach-jackson-and-socrates/#comments (http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog.php/Zasts-TrackWords/comments/2009-06-01stronach-jackson-and-socrates/#comments)
Stronach, Jackson and Socrates
By Vic Zast June 01, 2009… Lastly, only a person who has never experienced having bottom-line responsibility would conclude that decisions involving key assets should rest solely with the individual having the most knowledge. To wit, the fans thought that George Steinbrenner had no cause to tell Billy Martin where to bat Reggie Jackson in the lineup. Yet, “The Boss’s” meddling got the Yankees World Series rings. More importantly, it placed destiny where it rightfully belongs – in the hands of the man who was chasing it.

Any doubt of this? Write an open check to Andy Beyer or Cary Fortias and have them make wagers without your approval or input for as long as the money holds out. I bet you don’t do it.The bolded twosome was originally a threesome including Steve Davidowitz until that heralded handicapper took exception to the author’s conclusion and then lambasted Zast as if he’d been harassed.

DeanT
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
A big bravo to Steve's comments. And since Cary is a member of Horse Race insider, one would think Zast would know how to spell his name correctly. He spelled it wrong in the text, and in the comments.

Imriledup
06-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Wow, Steve got fired up! I think that i would have also been ticked off had my name been used in the context that i need to sell books and advice to keep my head above water in the racing game. Its fairly well understood that the biggest winners in this game don't sell their information, i think Steve wanted to point out that he's the exception to the rule. Good for him.

proximity
06-04-2009, 03:43 PM
the guy was trying to pay mr davidowitz a compliment by including his name in his personal list of handicapping's "top guns"...... don't know why someone would be insulted by that, but it seems like they're cool now, so.....

InsideThePylons-MW
06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Its fairly well understood that the biggest winners in this game don't sell their information.

And their bets are 100% of their money 100% of the time

DeanT
06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
the guy was trying to pay mr davidowitz a compliment by including his name in his personal list of handicapping's "top guns"...... don't know why someone would be insulted by that, but it seems like they're cool now, so.....

He said "for as long as the money holds out". I would not take it as a compliment :)

proximity
06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
He said "for as long as the money holds out". I would not take it as a compliment :)

"as great as these handicappers are, most horseplayers wouldn't just hand over their bankrolls and idly stand around agreeing with every decision they make"...... is how it came across to me. and this interpretation seems to gel with the general theme of the article, no?

anyhow, i thought davidowitz moved on to poker.:rolleyes:

Imriledup
06-04-2009, 04:04 PM

I don't agree that it was a compliment. The way i read it was that these men listed aren't winners even though they play winners on tv.

proximity
06-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't agree that it was a compliment. The way i read it was that these men listed aren't winners even though they play winners on tv.

he was comparing them to baseball manager billy martin and trainer steve assmussen. his implication was that while these would be great people to hire to manage a baseball team or train a horse that it can be difficult for an owner to give any single employee (no matter how great their decision making historty has proven to be..... davidowitz, beyer, fo(r)tias..) totally free reign over his or her own assets.

Imriledup
06-04-2009, 04:22 PM
he was comparing them to baseball manager billy martin and trainer steve assmussen. his implication was that while these would be great people to hire to manage a baseball team or train a horse that it can be difficult for an owner to give any single employee (no matter how great their decision making historty has proven to be..... davidowitz, beyer, fo(r)tias..) totally free reign over his or her own assets.

The way Steve took it was that Vic was saying he isn't a long-run winning gambler. If Vic was talking about me, i would want him to say that you CAN give me a check and be confident that i can take your check and run with it and make a profit. I guess its all how you interpret it.

Indulto
06-04-2009, 05:38 PM
I love it when conflict between principals carries over to the audience.:jump: A big bravo to Steve's comments. And since Cary is a member of Horse Race insider, one would think Zast would know how to spell his name correctly. He spelled it wrong in the text, and in the comments. Hey Dean,
I’ve seen Mr. Fotias’s name misspelled previously in the media, both intentionally and unintentionally.He said "for as long as the money holds out". I would not take it as a compliment :)While I’m a big fan of Davidowitz’s writing and ideas, and have occasionally submitted critical comments to Zast, I saw nothing insulting in the latter’s last two statements suggesting that relatively few people are satisfied to sit on the sidelines and let others -- even acknowledged experts -- spend their money indefinitely. You really have to stretch to interpret that as implying none of those three is a winner.

Davidowitz was certainly justified in pointing out that some syndicates relying on his judgment are proven exceptions to that hypothesis, but -- unless there is some history between these two turf text titans -- I think he shot himself in the foot by over-reacting. Syndicated selector stress syndrome?;)