PDA

View Full Version : Affirmed/Alydar

CBedo
06-04-2009, 12:24 AM
I just watched a replay of the Affirmed/Alydar Belmont. Pretty amazing to watch them go at it. Every time Alydar would come at him, he would respond.

For any of you sheets guys, did Alydar get a better number in any of the three triple crown races than Affirmed?

ghostyapper
06-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Affirmed was tough as nails but I was more impressed by alydar in that race. A one run closer was asked to press the pace for the last mile of a mile and 1/2 race and lost by a head.

strapper
06-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Greatest Belmont ever to me! Affirmed is my favorite horse of all time!!!

George Sands
06-04-2009, 10:10 AM
For any of you sheets guys, did Alydar get a better number in any of the three triple crown races than Affirmed?

Yes, Alydar got a better number in all three races.

Cadillakin
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Here is a profile on Affirmed I wrote quite a few years ago... It's original writing. Maybe some of you will enjoy reliving this great rivalry..
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"And Affirmed puts his nose in front... It's Affirmed!" With those words track announcer Chick Anderson hailed the 11th American Triple Crown Winner as the gallant colt reached down for all his reserves, to outfinish his rival, Calumet Farm's Alydar. Finally, this hearty competitor would receive the accolades and rewards of greatness that he so richly deserved. Until that shining moment, there were still more than a few people who held the belief that Alydar was the better colt. But the smaller colt had triumphed and the doubters retreated.

The Beginnings

It had been a long haul for the Florida-bred Affirmed from his humble beginnings. Owners Louis and Patrice Wolfson may have hoped for the best when they bred their Crafty Admiral mare, Won't Tell You, to the well-bred but modestly accomplished Exclusive Native, but realistically the mating looked like it would produce just another decent horse to wear the flamingo, black and white colors of their Harbor View Farm. This colt named Affirmed would debut in May of his 2-year-old year as he drew away from his rivals winning off at the generous odds of 13-1. Trainer Laz Barrera who had brought Bold Forbes to prominence in the preceding season appeared to have a colt of some potential. Meanwhile, there were whispers on the backstretch that Calumet had a good one, a well developed, blue-blooded colt named Alydar who was yet to start, but had on a couple of occasions worked a "hole in the wind." The rivalry between Affirmed and Alydar would soon begin. A few weeks after his impressive debut Affirmed was entered in the Youthful Stakes. The connections of the unraced Aldyar threw caution and conservatism to the wind and boldly decided to enter in the same race. The result was Affirmed winning, with Alydar finishing fifth. Shortly thereafter, Alydar dropped back to the maiden ranks and pulverized his competitors. In July, Affirmed and Alydar were to meet for the second time in the Great American Stakes with the stakes winning Affirmed giving his rival 5 lbs. Alydar drew off and beat Affirmed by 3 ½ lengths as Affirmed held second. Score the rivalry 1-1.

Barrera chose to send Affirmed west for the rich prize of the Hollywood Juvenile Stakes. The race split into two divisions and Affirmed breezed in his division winning off by 7 lengths in a crisp 1:09.1. In the east, the focus remained on Alydar who easily handled his competitors in the Tremont Stakes.

The whispers had subsided. The powerfully built Alydar, wearing the legendary devil's red and blue silks of Calumet, looked like the real item, and the easterners were embracing him. Trainer Barrera commented he saw a better Affirmed after his western foray, a smarter and more mature individual. The rivalry was shaping up. Affirmed shipped back to the east in Mid-August and took the Sanford Stakes from off the pace. Up til then, Affirmed had contested the lead in all of his races. About that same time, Alydar shipped to Monmouth and easily took down the Sapling Stakes. Round three was just around the corner, with the prestigious Hopeful Stakes the site for the match. The crowd favored Alydar with Affirmed second choice. Affirmed, tracking the pace of the speedy Tilt Up, drew up to the leader as Alydar followed. At the eighth pole, they were stride for stride. Affirmed, in what was later to become a frequently seen characteristic reached down inside himself, called on his reserves and inched forward of Alydar as they hit the wire in a very fast 1:15.2 for the 6½ furlongs. Score it, Affirmed 2 - Alydar 1.

Two weeks later Affirmed and Alydar met once again in the Futurity Stakes with the results identical to the Hopeful. Alydar again got on terms with his rival but could not go by. Once again, the smaller Affirmed showed his heart, and won by inches. Next they met in a muddy Champagne and Alydar won it by a head, running out in the middle of the track and Affirmed near the rail. Trainer Barrera reasoned that Affirmed could not see his rival well. Affirmed 3 - Alydar 2. The Laurel Futurity was to mark their last meeting of the year. The eastern crowd fully embraced their popular Alydar at 2-5 and made Affirmed second choice at 7-5. But again, it was Affirmed outgaming his rival, winning by a neck. Final Score for the year, Affirmed 4-Alydar 2. On the basis of his superior record over his rival Affirmed was given the year end 2 year old honors as best colt. The rivalry was to be continued.

The Road to the Crown

All was well in both camps as the three-year-old season began. Trainer Barrerra had brought Affirmed west for a winter campaign, Alydar remained in the east. In 1978, in the west, the rains poured down and Affirmed's training was often restricted. Nevertheless, physically, Affirmed was doing well and had narrowed the gap on rival Alydar. No longer was it like night and day, pony versus horse, Affirmed was developing into a fine looking horse. Described that winter as a "big, small-horse", reflecting his good muscling and development, Affirmed was moving into Alydar's realm. Not his equal, but closer.

As Affirmed and trainer Barrera waited out the rains, Alydar began. In February, winning his Hialeah debut easily while prepping for the Flamingo, Alydar looked every part the champion. Two weeks later he went in the Flamingo and crushed his rivals while getting the nine furlongs in a very fast 1:47.1. Meanwhile Affirmed was yet to make his 3-year-old debut. The pressure was on trainer Barrera and Affirmed to not get too far behind their rival. Finally, Affirmed found a spot. Debuting at 6 ½ furlongs in early March, he cruised to an easy victory against moderate rivals in fast time. Affirmed, now only one step behind, came right back 10 days later in the San Felipe and won nicely, though in moderate time. Two weeks hence, in the first part of April, Alydar shipped south and went in the Florida Derby. Again, he won cleverly by two lengths in 1:47.1. Affirmed, not to be outdone, ran the very next day in the Santa Anita Derby and blitzed his rivals drawing off by eight lengths. Both colts appeared to be on target.

As a final prep for the Kentucky Derby, trainer Veitch chose the Blue Grass Stakes for Alydar and Affirmed stayed west and went in the Hollywood Derby. Both won convincingly. Next, it was on to Churchill Downs to run for the roses.

On a beautiful spring day in Kentucky, with a very large crowd on hand, the rivals entered the gate for the 1978 Kentucky Derby. Not mindful of the previous years results, the large crowd again embraced Alydar, making him the 6-5 favorite, while Affirmed was made the 9-5 second choice. Leaving promptly, Affirmed got his position and tracked the speed horses in front of him. Alydar, not gifted with great dexterity leaving the gate, fell back. As the race began in earnest approaching the quarter pole, jockey Cauthen allowed Affirmed to cruise up to the pacemakers, still well within himself. Meanwhile, Alydar was unwinding from the back. When set down in the lane, Affirmed spurted clear from Believe It to grab the lead, while Alydar came wide into the lane. Affirmed, enjoying all the best of it, finished well while never in danger. Alydar finished strongly along the outside. Again Affirmed has bested his rival. And on to the Preakness.

There had been some talk in the eastern press that Affirmed was again lucky to beat Alydar, but the Pimlico crowd was having none of it. They backed Affirmed strongly at 1-2 and let Alydar go at 9-5. The race ran to form. Affirmed again tracked the speed, always going well. Alydar laid closer. As they rounded into the turn for home, Cauthen sat calmly and still while outside and just in front of the other pace horses as his rival moved up. Turning for home, the crowd roared when Alydar got to Affirmed's throatlatch, expecting Alydar's usual strong finish, but he could gain no more. Affirmed stuck his neck forward, seemingly in great control throughout, set out for the finish line and turned back his arch-rival, winning by a long neck.

He had finally won the respect that he deserved but there was one more race to be won. Some in the press were confident that Alydar would prevail at the 12-furlong distance of the Belmont, and there seemed to be good reason to believe it. Though Alydar was getting beat, he wasn't losing by much and he always seemed very willing in the stretch drive. Trainer Veitch insisted that Affirmed would get no rest in the upcoming Belmont, planning to go after Affirmed right from the start and wear him down. Though he was right, and the race unfolded as trainer Veitch wished, Affirmed had the heart of a lion. Caught and pressed by his bigger, stronger rival, they raced as a team for the last mile. In the stretch, Alydar poked his neck in front while pinning his rival to the rail. Seemingly the Triple Crown had evaded the deserving Affirmed. But in a showing of extraordinary courage, Affirmed again reached down for all he had, and pulled back to his rival. With 100 yards left, with Cauthen whipping vigorously from the left side, Affirmed was back nose to nose with Alydar. Finally, while pushing forward with every vestige of his remaining strength, he got his nose in front and kept it there. The Triple Crown was his.

The Aftermath

Affirmed will always be remembered by the people for his great winning resolve and his victories in the 1978 Triple Crown series. Surely he was one of the greats. But he was to meet his match later on in that year. In an extraordinary matchup, he met the great Seattle Slew, winner of the previous year's Triple Crown, in the 1978 Marlboro Cup. Slew, blessed with an extraordinary turn of speed, got the jump on him out of the gate though Affirmed had broke running. Jockey Cauthen inexplicably took a long hold on Affirmed and let the brilliant Seattle Slew go his first quarter in a very leisurely 24 seconds. For all intents and purposes, at that point the race was over. Seattle Slew simply turned on his speed and finished brilliantly, getting his last 7 furlongs in 1:21.4. Affirmed stayed some 3 lengths behind him throughout and did his best, but he was helpless to match Slew's great speed. Nevertheless, though Seattle Slew finished up the year with gusto, the Eclipse voters opted for Affirmed as the Horse of the Year. A deserving reward for a great champion, but he was perhaps the second best colt in that year.

Photo by Barbara Livingston At four, Affirmed was again a champion and Horse of the Year. Though starting the year with two losses in the Malibu and San Fernando Stakes, he reeled off 7 consecutive wins to conclude the racing year. In June, while campaigning out west, he carried 132 lbs in the Hollywood Gold Cup and gave the high-class Irish colt Sirlad 12 lbs and a beating in a sprightly 1:58.2 for the mile and a quarter. In September, Affirmed shipped east to run in a couple of the prestigious and traditional races for top older horses. He took down the Woodward without trouble and then matched up with the terrific Spectacular Bid in the Jockey Club Gold Cup. At that time, Spectacular Bid was widely regarded as one of racing's greats and was considered unlucky to not have a Triple Crown of his own. In any event, the race lived up to its billing. Affirmed, always in front and racing out from the rail, turned back challenges by Spectacular Bid and maintained a safe lead throughout. In doing so he sealed the year's championship honors and a more exalted place amongst racing's greats.

At stud, Affirmed was a qualified success. Like many of the greats, high expectations are accorded them. He was often maligned for not siring one as good as himself. Nevertheless, he sired champions in many countries, including the very high-class American mare, Flawlessly. Oddly, though Affirmed was a great runner on the dirt, most of his best offspring were grass horses. Starting off his stud career at Spendthrift, Affirmed was later to join his rival Alydar, at Calumet Farms.

46zilzal
06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
IF he did it shows how FLAWED a come from behind horse is as compared with a strong front runner. When you are out front YOU control EVERYTHING.

OTM Al
06-04-2009, 01:03 PM
My wife knows Jorge Velasquez pretty well and he told her once, despite the fact he liked the horse, he had a terrible time getting him to change leads and often he just wouldn't or would just go right back after changing. Might have made all the difference that year....

CBedo
06-04-2009, 01:14 PM
IF he did it shows how FLAWED a come from behind horse is as compared with a strong front runner. When you are out front YOU control EVERYTHING.Actually, that was one of the reasons I asked. Saying Alydar was faster than Affirmed is crazy. Races are not run on straight courses with no traffic problems. If you make adjustments for ground loss with every horse, then you better have some type of adjustment for a "normal" trip for different types of horse running styles. I think Affirmed beat Alydar 7 out of the 10 times they ran against each other.

Cadillakin
06-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Actually, that was one of the reasons I asked. Saying Alydar was faster than Affirmed is crazy. Races are not run on straight courses with no traffic problems. If you make adjustments for ground loss with every horse, then you better have some type of adjustment for a "normal" trip for different types of horse running styles. I think Affirmed beat Alydar 7 out of the 10 times they ran against each other.
Maybe 8 out of 10.. Affirmed was disqualified once when he beat him..

ghostyapper
06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Maybe 8 out of 10.. Affirmed was disqualified once when he beat him..

As he should have been. I know neither of us can prove it but I feel had affirmed not come over on him, alydar was winning that race by 4+ lengths

ghostyapper
06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
My wife knows Jorge Velasquez pretty well and he told her once, despite the fact he liked the horse, he had a terrible time getting him to change leads and often he just wouldn't or would just go right back after changing. Might have made all the difference that year....

That was 1 of alydar's biggest flaws, not being able to change leads. I don't remember but I thought he did change leads around the turn in the belmont. I know most of his races he just ran on 1 lead the whole way around.

Goes to show how talented a horse he was with what he accomplished not being able to change leads.

Cadillakin
06-04-2009, 02:36 PM
As he should have been. I know neither of us can prove it but I feel had affirmed not come over on him, alydar was winning that race by 4+ lengths
I think Cordero was involved in that mess... I can't recall the details.. I'll have to find a chart, if possible..He was trapping or floating Pincay for the benefit of the other rider.. Or was Cordero riding Alydar that day? Cordero did something strategically incorrect or dangerous that day..

As to your comment that Aldyar was going to beat him by 4 lengths... I'll just remind you that Aldyar never beat Affirmed to the wire after the Great American Stakes in their 2 year old year, and only once did he best him on a fast track...

Affirmed didn't handle off going well.. The record shows that.

reckless
06-04-2009, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=Cadillakin]I think Cordero was involved in that mess... I can't recall the details.. I'll have to find a chart, if possible..He was trapping or floating Pincay for the benefit of the other rider.. Or was Cordero riding Alydar that day? Cordero did something strategically incorrect or dangerous that day..

Hi Cadillakin:

Cordero rode Shake Shake Shake for the great international horseman Horatio Luro and he did push Affirmed hard early. Some say Cordero did that to soften up Affirmed and make it easy for Alydar and his pal Jorge Velazquez to come running late.

Plus, in typical Cordero fashion he was 'all over' the track riding not only his mount but 2-3 others as well.

Alydar was sharp going into that Travers after a monster 10-length win in the Whitney Stakes over older horses two weeks prior. If Alydar was to handle Affirmed that Travers Day might have been the day, although I cannot agree about a '4+ length win' if not bothered, though.

Affirmed's trainer Lazaro Barrera swore up and down and all over at Cordero when the horses came back for unsaddeling and vowed never to use Cordero again. I am too feeble of mind nowadays to recall if Laz ever used Cordero again, and my guess is that he did, but Barrera was truly furious at Angel, for sure.

Alydar did suffer an injury in that Travers which compromised his excellent form, and eventually he wound up losing to third raters like San Juan Hill and Star de Naskra as a 4-year-old.

Cadillakin
06-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I think Cordero was involved in that mess... I can't recall the details.. I'll have to find a chart, if possible..He was trapping or floating Pincay for the benefit of the other rider.. Or was Cordero riding Alydar that day? Cordero did something strategically incorrect or dangerous that day..

Hi Cadillakin:

Cordero rode Shake Shake Shake for the great international horseman Horatio Luro and he did push Affirmed hard early. Some say Cordero did that to soften up Affirmed and make it easy for Alydar and his pal Jorge Velazquez to come running late.

Plus, in typical Cordero fashion he was 'all over' the track riding not only his mount but 2-3 others as well.

Alydar was sharp going into that Travers after a monster 10-length win in the Whitney Stakes over older horses two weeks prior. If Alydar was to handle Affirmed that Travers Day might have been the day, although I cannot agree about a '4+ length win' if not bothered, though.

Affirmed's trainer Lazaro Barrera swore up and down and all over at Cordero when the horses came back for unsaddeling and vowed never to use Cordero again. I am too feeble of mind nowadays to recall if Laz ever used Cordero again, and my guess is that he did, but Barrera was truly furious at Angel, for sure.

Alydar did suffer an injury in that Travers which compromised his excellent form, and eventually he wound up losing to third raters like San Juan Hill and Star de Naskra as a 4-year-old.
reckless...

Thank you for your vivid recollection... I'm recalling some it now... especially the part of Cordero being all over the place.. and riding a no-chancer with the intent to affect the outcome..

ghostyapper
06-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I think Laz Barrera was wrong with his post race comments. Alydar was coming up the rail, shake shake was in the 2 spot, and affirmed the outside. Cordero's horse dropped back just as alydar was coming up the fence. Affirmed shifted in thinking the rail was clear but he came over on alydar. Had affirmed just stayed in his path there wouldn't have been any problems.

46zilzal
06-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Laz signed a few shots for me NOT this one, but he was always praised Affirmed as the best he ever trained.

reckless
06-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks zilzal for posting the pic.

Affirmed was truly a great race horse and in some ways underrated. May have been as physically impressive as any race horse I ever saw--Secretariat was built similarly. Raw strength, strong and long pasterns, very rugged and tough horse Affirmed was.

Alydar had good looks too, but built more like the society horse he was, pretty.<s> I always thought the difference between the two was that Affirmed was just a bit tougher and rougher than Alydar, like two boxers against one another.

As a 4-year-old at Saratoga the next year, Lazaro worked Affirmed 5 furlongs on the turf in between races during the week. There was a graded stakes at the Spa that Barrerra wanted to run in -- I think it's the Sword Dancer at 1 1-2 miles, but not 100 per cent on that. He wanted Affirmed to have another dimension to him in addition to more racing options in the fall.

Affirmed seemed to have just skipped along easily and went in 1:01 or so, in typical good horse fashion. But, Barrera said that Affirmed "worked like a 'fat pig' and won't set foot on the grass ever again." He said that Affirmed hated the grass !

Affirmed never did run on the turf, of course, but became a very good stallion of turf horses. Go figure.

Laz was a great guy and a great trainer. No b-s to him at all; always spoke what was on his mind and never backed down. And he was great to the guys in the press box.

Hosshead
06-04-2009, 06:36 PM
If Alydar couldn't beat Affirmed with Cauthen up, he would never have beaten Affirmed with Pincay up. (except for Cordero's dirty riding)

ghostyapper
06-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Affirmed was truly a great race horse and in some ways underrated. May have been as physically impressive as any race horse I ever saw--Secretariat was built similarly. Raw strength, strong and long pasterns, very rugged and tough horse Affirmed was.

Alydar had good looks too, but built more like the society horse he was, pretty.<s> I always thought the difference between the two was that Affirmed was just a bit tougher and rougher than Alydar, like two boxers against one another.

I completely disagree on the tougher and rougher part. The difference was tactical speed, affirmed had it and alydar didn't. Both horses were as tough as they come and had tremendous heart.

reckless
06-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I completely disagree on the tougher and rougher part. The difference was tactical speed, affirmed had it and alydar didn't. Both horses were as tough as they come and had tremendous heart.

hi ghostyapper:

I don't disagree with you when you say that both had tremendous hearts but the jury is actually out on this -- in all the races between Affirmed and Alydar, Affirmed won, and most of these battles were very narrow and close finishes, as you know.

Alydar actually began his career as an up close horse with tactical speed -- the same style that you say was the reason Affirmed won more often. It was when Alydar's running style was altered by John Veitch and he was taken way back before making a late run, like in the Champagne, that he was able to beat Affirmed. And that was the lone time he did so, not counting the infamous Travers Stakes.

If you are old enough to have remembered the Belmont Stakes, just two jumps after a half-mile was run, Alydar made his move to take the race to Affirmed.

These two greats both slugged it out for almost a mile, mano-a-mano, and except for one fleeting moment: 'And Alydar sticks his nose in front,' so said the great Chic Anderson, he still couldn't put away Affirmed, who actually was drawing off a jump before the wire.

Alydar also was beaten in a stretch duel in the Remsen Stakes at two against an accomplished horse named Believe It, and as an older horse, ran head and head from the sixteenth pole home yet never was able to get past a horse called Star de Naskra, also one of ability, but no Affirmed.

I do not want to give the impression that I am not a fan of Alydar. I just think that Affirmed was better, tougher, rougher, stronger and had more heart than did Alydar, that's all.

ghostyapper
06-04-2009, 10:06 PM
hi ghostyapper:

I don't disagree with you when you say that both had tremendous hearts but the jury is actually out on this -- in all the races between Affirmed and Alydar, Affirmed won, and most of these battles were very narrow and close finishes, as you know.

Alydar actually began his career as an up close horse with tactical speed -- the same style that you say was the reason Affirmed won more often. It was when Alydar's running style was altered by John Veitch and he was taken way back before making a late run, like in the Champagne, that he was able to beat Affirmed. And that was the lone time he did so, not counting the infamous Travers Stakes.

If you are old enough to have remembered the Belmont Stakes, just two jumps after a half-mile was run, Alydar made his move to take the race to Affirmed.

These two greats both slugged it out for almost a mile, mano-a-mano, and except for one fleeting moment: 'And Alydar sticks his nose in front,' so said the great Chic Anderson, he still couldn't put away Affirmed, who actually was drawing off a jump before the wire.

Alydar also was beaten in a stretch duel in the Remsen Stakes at two against an accomplished horse named Believe It, and as an older horse, ran head and head from the sixteenth pole home yet never was able to get past a horse called Star de Naskra, also one of ability, but no Affirmed.

I do not want to give the impression that I am not a fan of Alydar. I just think that Affirmed was better, tougher, rougher, stronger and had more heart than did Alydar, that's all.

While it is true alydar began his career closer to the pace, he did not have anywhere near the tactical speed affirmed had. Just because he was up close to the pace does not mean he was cruising. For this reason they put blinkers on him later in his 2yo year so he would sit back further and not spend so much early energy. He actually beat affirmed before the champagne in the great american by 3.5 lengths, the largest margin of victory between the 2. Also in the champagne he was close to the pace as well, his riding style was not changed in that race.

The remsen was not a stretch duel as you call it. He was far back early and made a big move but didn't get there in time. He was not neck and neck with believe it at any point.

And I don't really consider any race of his as a 4yo because he never was the same horse after the injury.

I know it looks bad on his resume that he lost every photo he was ever involved in but I don't believe it was due to affirmed having more heart.

His trainer summed it up great when discussing the tactical speed advantage affirmed had over him. He said it was like 2 boxers about to face off and 1 already received 2-3 body shots before the fight.

Cadillakin
06-04-2009, 10:45 PM
While it is true alydar began his career closer to the pace, he did not have anywhere near the tactical speed affirmed had. Just because he was up close to the pace does not mean he was cruising. For this reason they put blinkers on him later in his 2yo year so he would sit back further and not spend so much early energy. He actually beat affirmed before the champagne in the great american by 3.5 lengths, the largest margin of victory between the 2. Also in the champagne he was close to the pace as well, his riding style was not changed in that race.

The remsen was not a stretch duel as you call it. He was far back early and made a big move but didn't get there in time. He was not neck and neck with believe it at any point.

And I don't really consider any race of his as a 4yo because he never was the same horse after the injury.

I know it looks bad on his resume that he lost every photo he was ever involved in but I don't believe it was due to affirmed having more heart.

His trainer summed it up great when discussing the tactical speed advantage affirmed had over him. He said it was like 2 boxers about to face off and 1 already received 2-3 body shots before the fight.
I respect that you're continuing to make your case for Alydar.. And yes, tactical speed is always an advantage in a race horse.... But given sufficient distance and a good clean trip, then a racehorse who has the class to win can and should run by his competitor.

Zenyatta, our current champion mare, has no tactical speed.. Almost every mare in America is faster than her gaining position.... Obviously, when she races, she is outclassing everything in front of her.. That's why she is the champ.. When she eventually loses, I might be explaining things in the same way as you..

Affirmed was my favorite horse.. You can see the love I have for him in that article/profile I included within this thread, but do note, I did not hesitate to put Seattle Slew in front of him at one point in my article.. Slew was a faster horse.. No doubt that Affirmed might have been able to beat him under certain conditions, but that's just my opinion. The record shows Slew beat him both times they were in the gate together, though Affirmed eased in the slop in one of those races..

Affirmed was a great horse.. So was Alydar.. It was a pleasure to be able to see them both..