PDA

View Full Version : NYRA: That's "workout video?"

Indian Charlie
06-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Yesterday I ranted about NYRA's chronic incompetence - the fact that they did not provide Internet access of Belmont Stakes-contender videos.

Most would agree - there is nothing more revealing about a horse's current physical state than viewing a serious pre-race workout.

For example, you do not want to be even slightly rank during any workout heading into a 12-furlongs race. Witness: Almost every contender traveled in the vicinity of :49-:50, confirmation that every trainer with even a basic knowledge of how to approach the Belmont Stakes demands a relaxed, steady, one-paced gallop.

Of course, this fact of Belmont Stakes training was completely missed by a clueless (downsized) media, who continue to drag down the dumb-down, but that's a story for another day.

Let's stay on point.

Back to the workout videos.

With regard to NYRA's posting of workouts, I was rightfully corrected, and provided a link to the official Belmont Stakes website, which did actually post videos of workouts by Dunkirk, Charitable Man, Brave Victory, Miner's Escape and Chocolate Candy.

See here:

http://www.belmontstakes.com

My bad.

But excited, nonetheless, at the prospect of watching these juicy workouts, where I would get confirmation for all my Belmont Stakes thoughts.

My bad? My ass!

You can't see a damn thing.

It was as if a 5-year-old kid in a cowboy hat was given a plastic Toys-R-Us camcorder and asked to follow the horses around the track for a few furlongs.

Go ahead, follow the above link. See for yourself what an incredible job NYRA did to provide a national audience with workout video for the biggest race of the year in New York.

It is, quite honestly, pathetic.

Of course, I'm just a complainer. How dare I make such an unreasonable request. Belmont Stakes workouts? What, you actually want to see the horses that are racing Saturday?

You want to see if Dunkirk has regained his seemingly limit-less stamina? If Miner's Escape is Zito-primed? If Charitable Man is relaxed enough to finish?

So ... with all due respect, Mr. NYRA Defense Lawyer (I won't use your screen name to avoid "embarrasing" you) ...

Please. Afford us the same courtesy.

Go ahead, explain.

Your silence is potentially deafening.

DrugS
06-03-2009, 01:03 AM
I know Indian Charlie, Indian Charlie was a friend of mine, Senator.. you're no Indian Charlie.

sandpit
06-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I know Indian Charlie, Indian Charlie was a friend of mine, Senator.. you're no Indian Charlie.

good one; but are you referring to the horse or the guy that puts out his mimeographed rag?; who, by the way, lifted the name from an old-time clocker.

OTM Al
06-03-2009, 04:52 PM
No but he is a guy who tried to go trolling on us in the War Room the night before the Derby. Quite annoying, but then also quite refreshing as everyone simply ignored him til he went away. Probably works here as well....

Indian Charlie
06-03-2009, 06:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-AAjV84u0&feature=related

What a racehorse should look like.

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2009, 09:34 PM
No but he is a guy who tried to go trolling on us in the War Room the night before the Derby. Quite annoying, but then also quite refreshing as everyone simply ignored him til he went away. Probably works here as well....Thanks for reminding me about that....

Robert Fischer
06-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Indian Charlie is absolutely correct.
\
And who gives a shit about who the poster is, anyway if he is speaking on something relevant?

What a sorry job in the video section of the Belmont web site!

There are a few nice articles, but the video section is atrocious.

The best workout video that I happened to see was Charitable Mans work from 5/25 which went 4 furlongs. Unfortunately the video was only 35 seconds long!

As mentioned the Dunkirk work is a comedy. A 3 second clip from the family camcorder(and not a very wealthy family) accompanied by a bunch of camera shutter noises. It looks more like Papparzzi spotting a popstar than a work video.

I know little respect is given to horseplayers who actually can benefit from good videos but this should have been embarrassing to the producers of the website. It wouldn't at all be a shock to hear there was a fire or something and all the real video was lost.

really an amateur job with the contender videos and workouts.

Indian Charlie
06-04-2009, 12:41 AM
For actually having a brain.

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2009, 12:55 AM
And who gives a shit about who the poster is, anyway if he is speaking on something relevant? I do, for one.

And why is that? For one, I put much more weight on your criticism of the workout video then I do a poster with a handful of posts who continues to present himself in an obnoxious manner...he was obnoxious in the chat room during the Derby chat, he obnoxiously posted how NYRA had NO WORKOUT VIDEOS up when in fact they did, and now this thread.

I think that's a pretty good reason to "give a shit" about who the poster is...

Robert Fischer
06-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I do, for one.

And why is that? For one, I put much more weight on your criticism of the workout video then I do a poster with a handful of posts who continues to present himself in an obnoxious manner...he was obnoxious in the chat room during the Derby chat, he obnoxiously posted how NYRA had NO WORKOUT VIDEOS up when in fact they did, and now this thread.

I think that's a pretty good reason to "give a shit" about who the poster is...

I hear that. You are also the boss, and you are therefore right in my book to call it as you see fit. I probably should have directed my post more clearly toward others. :ThmbUp:

After I looked over the Belmont site a little more, there are some good articles. Andy Serling has a really nice piece "My Guarantee (http://www.belmontstakes.com/blog/andy-serling/2009/06/01/my-guarantee/)". The video section really needs some work, but the overall site isn't that bad. I probably over reacted on my first impressions, being disappointed about the video.

46zilzal
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
QUOTE:
Most would agree - there is nothing more revealing about a horse's current physical state than viewing a serious pre-race workout.

No unless you are aware of the instructions that the exercise rider has to follow, simply reading about it is NOTHING.

HINT HINT: There are NO post workout blood or saliva testing done in any jurisdiction I know of.

andymays
06-04-2009, 04:29 PM
QUOTE:
No unless you are aware of the instructions that the exercise rider has to follow, simply reading about it is NOTHING.

HINT HINT: There are NO post workout blood or saliva testing done in any jurisdiction I know of.

The only thing I would add to the workout stuff is that generally speaking short workouts, no matter how good they look, really don't reveal much in my opinion. Workouts of 6 furlongs or more reveal a lot!

Robert Fischer
06-04-2009, 09:16 PM
one thing for example would be to get a decent look at a horse like Dunkirk. See how he was moving and if how he carries his weight or looks ok physically.