PDA

View Full Version : Great trainer passes at 92

46zilzal
06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51035/great-european-trainer-vincent-obrien-dies

the little guy
06-01-2009, 11:28 AM
He trained Nijinsky II, Sir Ivor, Roberto and The Minstrel. Amazing.

lamboguy
06-01-2009, 11:32 AM
wow, that is one big name in this game. alot of people here probably never heard of him, i haven't seen any of him myself for a long time.

truly one of the games greatest.

RobinFromIreland
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Proud to say I shook his hand in 2000. A true gent and a colossus of the game.

DanG
06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
This is why we try and reserve the adjective ‘great for legendary careers such as Vincent O'Brien, Charlie Whittingham, Woody Stephens. Horatio Luro, Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons, Hirsch Jacobs etc…

If you ever have a chance to see his incredible training center; Ballydoyle, please do…
http://www.bmcc.ie/resources/images/projects/main/Ballydoyle.jpg

matthewsiv
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
It is a very sad day with the passing of Vincent O'Brien.

This guy was the cleverest trainer ever born, not only on the flat but also with jumpers as well.

He built Ballydoyle from farmland into the most amazing training facility,with replica gallops to Epsom with Tattenham Corner,swimming pools and his own airstrip so as he could fly the horses to other countries.

Not only this but firstly with Tim Vigors and then with his son in law John Magnier and Robert Sangster he built Coolmore Stud into the best stallion station in Europe and it is still in that positon today under the leadership of John Magnier.

I met him once or twice at the horse sales in Newmarket,and he was a very quiet man who had an eagle eye for a horse.

I have been to both Ballydolye and Coolmore,as I have partnered in horses with John Magnier and all I can say is that set up is horse heaven.

My condolences go to his wife Jacqui and his children.

Stevie Belmont
06-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Put his name in the title at least...