PDA

View Full Version : Tipping pari-mutuel clerks?

W2G
06-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Do you? If so how much? Is it a % of your score or a flat amount?

MONEY
06-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Long thread on tipping below.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42533&highlight=clerks

I know a couple of parimutual clerks and they EXPECT 2% on signers.
They don't care if you are winning for the 1st time in a month and if you are still $10,000 in the hole, they still want their 2%.

money

fmolf
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM

They don't care if you are winning for the 1st time in a month and if you are still $10,000 in the hole, they still want their 2%.

moneyi mostly use self serve machines and i do not get signers as a rule because i usually bet nothing more exotic than an exacta or maybe a rare tri or p3 but not often. i stick to win bets and exactas and the few times i have had a signer, i have given a 5 or a 10 to the clerk

macguy
06-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't know why people use tellers anymore.

There are almost always lines for the tellers, sometimes 10 deep... and right next to them are 5 or 6 SAMs with nobody in sight.

Not only do I not have to stand in line, but I can bet on a voucher all afternoon and not worry about handling cash and cashing tickets and getting the correct change.

I usually use a teller twice. I purchase a voucher at the beginning of the day, and hopefully have something to cash out at the end of the day.

...the vouchers also seem to help me stick to my budget and not reach into my wallet for a few extra $20s.

fmolf
06-01-2009, 02:09 PM

There are almost always lines for the tellers, sometimes 10 deep... and right next to them are 5 or 6 SAMs with nobody in sight.

Not only do I not have to stand in line, but I can bet on a voucher all afternoon and not worry about handling cash and cashing tickets and getting the correct change.

I usually use a teller twice. I purchase a voucher at the beginning of the day, and hopefully have something to cash out at the end of the day.

...the vouchers also seem to help me stick to my budget and not reach into my wallet for a few extra $20s.
that is one of the main reasons i use a machine now.. it does help me stick to my wagering guns and cuts down on impulse betting...i buy my voucher at the beginning of the day in the amount i have decided to wager that day and when it is gone (hopefully that does not happen)i am done wagering for the day!

miesque
06-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Basically I use a range of $20 to $80 for signers. If I am in a good mood, I will tip between $5-10 for the more material non-signers (usually to make it a round payout for myself aka for a $306 payout give the teller the $6 and keep the three hundreds). In the Dining Room I tip servers 12-22% depending on the level of service.

W2G
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM

money

Thanks, I see you all covered this already.

I've always tipped 2% -- without any other guidance the percentage just felt right. But I use the machines exclusively so have no allegiance to any teller. At the end of a good day I just select a teller that looks like they would be grateful for the tip. And I tip even if I have no signers -- just cashing out a big voucher (this practice seems questionable, but I'll probably continue nevertheless).

Last year at the BC I had a big signer and the white-haired gentlemen (at an IRS window no less) professed gratitude as if he'd never been tipped before. I suspect he was just hoping for my repeat business (which unfortunately was a non-issue) but it made me wonder what kind of tipping protocol exists.

Hajck Hillstrom
06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Basically I use a range of $20 to $80 for signers. If I am in a good mood, I will tip between $5-10 for the more material non-signers (usually to make it a round payout for myself aka for a $306 payout give the teller the $6 and keep the three hundreds). In the Dining Room I tip servers 12-22% depending on the level of service.Pretty good rule of thumb is to always leave the coin, and rounding off to larger bills. I like buying a friendly clerks $1 Pik3 tickets also. I once bought a clerk a $1 Pik3 ticket that paid $380.... and I didn't have the ticket myself! I forgot to play the ticket again. That was the last time I made that mistake. I agonized over that for weeks.

Imriledup
06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Avoid using tellers and you won't have to tip. Cuts into the bottom line.

Bruddah
06-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Just my personal rule and belief. Because I use a strctured exotic, in my bets, I look for an experienced teller and use them exclusively. I always leave the change and round off the smaller bills. When I get a signer, I do the same plus 5%. Needless to say, these tellers take care of me.

My personal feelings are, if I can't afford to tip, I shouldn't be gambling. The same goes when I go to a restaurant or take a cab. Actually any service where I require or need or the services of another. Some people make their living on tips and I believe what goes around comes around. Just plain good Karma and appreciation for good service. (JMHO) :ThmbUp:

Jay Trotter
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
One of my favorite scenes of all time -- Classic Tarantino!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXLVGarpTzc&feature=related

Fred
06-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I am at a loss on this one. I tip the valet attendant, I tip the bar maid or bartender, I even tip the guy or gal that sweeps the debris and cigarette butts of the floor. I always leave a tip for the housekeeper at the hotel. I tip the cab driver.

But I will not tip a teller that is simply cashing a ticket for me.

Freddy

slew101
06-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm the same way, but I've never had an IRS score at the track. If I did, I likely would tip since they are handling paperwork.

I am at a loss on this one. I tip the valet attendant, I tip the bar maid or bartender, I even tip the guy or gal that sweeps the debris and cigarette butts of the floor. I always leave a tip for the housekeeper at the hotel. I tip the cab driver.

Freddy

Bruddah
06-02-2009, 12:07 AM

Freddy

I can understand your feelings. That's why I find an experienced teller for placing and cashing my bets. As I said, it's a personal preference for me when I am at the track. :)

dav4463
06-02-2009, 01:05 AM
I tip a girl if she's hot! :)

JustRalph
06-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Last year at Churchill I sat through a whole card of 10 races and didn't find one decent bet..........until the last race. I walk up to the windows in the silks room with about 3 min to post and put some money down on a 31-1 horse. The girls are all packing up ........getting ready to go.

I sit down and watch as the horse wires the field. I sit and watch as most people file out. I walk up to the same windows and they are all ready to go. I asked if there was anybody left to cash my ticket.........they all say no.........and start to tell me where I can go to cash....down the hall.

At the last second a lady in the back says " I can take care of you" and wades her way through the girls who are leaving. She re-opens her little cash box....does a little dance with the machine in front of her......cashes the ticket and after counting out the cash back to me.....starts to join her friends to leave. I stop her and as all of them are watching I hand her two twenties........... as I am walking away she is giggling and one of the other girls says "damn, I should have taken him"

Only time I have ever tipped a clerk....... although I rarely play through the windows.............

MzDucat
06-02-2009, 01:38 AM
dav4463:

Baby, you're my Huckleberry. The rest of this thread is why all the hottie girls have left for better jobs. Fellas, the track is supposed to make you forget that your boss is a nimrod and your mother in law is a ball busting buttinski. Even when you don't win it can be worth the trip.

Biggest tip I ever got in 25 years-$1,300. Dozen or more $500's. The $1,300 guy's runner called a $200 double 5-8 and I knew that Jimmy never bets a horse with a bar shoe on, much less than one with TWO bar shoes, which the 8 had in the second leg. The lines were killer and I punched up both a $200 double 5-8 and a $200 exacta 5-8 and I told Jules to go find out which one Jimmy wanted. Just come back and say "You were right" and I would cancel the double. Say "I was right" and I'd kill the exacta.

I was right, and killed the double. The exacta came in and paid $133.80 for 2 bucks. Jimmy personally came down to collect and said noone else at Saratoga would have caught it. They never would have made it back thru the long lines to change a wrong ticket. And if some of these new "management guys" see a clerk writing down the equipment changes they spy on the clerk for hours expecting to catch them betting.(These bozos have not heard of phone wagering).

You players make the game. Some guys at the track will continue to take out the lions share because they look for talent and fun. Ask the other clerks who is the best tipped clerk at your track. Head for that line. They'll tell you when your mortal lock kicked down the barn the night before because he hated the new shipper in the stall next to his.

Canarsie
06-02-2009, 08:14 AM
I always tip when I turn in my voucher if I know the teller even if it's a few bucks. My friend does the same and hit a signer and went to cash and the teller ( he tipped him many times before) actually said to him put down any SS #. He was flabbergasted and used his real one. :bang: T

I know it was illegal what the teller did but money talks and gets you good service. When I buy a new car the first time I bring it in I tip the service manager and get out quickly while others wait.

Just my two cents.

MzDucat
06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Carnarsie:

Good little story and I believe it. But any head of the money room or mutuel director worth his salt will arrange to take away IRS privledges from that clerk. It's really very easy to check to see if the name goes with the SS number. Did it in the money room every morning for four years.

Sometimes though that clerk is "teflon". If a clerk has more than one or two that don't match up and still gets to do IRS windows, that clerk would be a good one for the regulators to watch. They will be doing other hustles for higher ups. Only way for that clerk to remain an IRS clerk. The other clerks usually hate them, too.

Hope you're taking notes Joe L. A free tip for your cronies to consider.

1st time lasix
06-02-2009, 10:59 AM
at my little simulcast location....i never sign. As a strict exotic player {weekends} i usually get "signers' every month. I generally tip the right people year round. Not real large sums....but regularly..... and i always say hello to them by their first names. My seat at the bar is always saved including Triple Crown days until about 1;30-2;00.... if not there by then after my early round of golf....they know i am likely out of town. Being polite, having a sense of humor and recognizing their working efforts $$$ goes a long way. I never ever get upset at a teller for a shut out. That is my fault. I generally use the same three or four tellers AND the machines....The machines take .50 tris, pick fours and .10 supers. I don't ask the tellers for them. When i hit a 8000 ticket late last year....I even gave the DRF seller downstairs a 20. Sure the old gentleman had never been tipped before. He now always seems to have a form for me....even on the busiest days! ha!

fmolf
06-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Carnarsie:

Good little story and I believe it. But any head of the money room or mutuel director worth his salt will arrange to take away IRS privledges from that clerk. It's really very easy to check to see if the name goes with the SS number. Did it in the money room every morning for four years.

Sometimes though that clerk is "teflon". If a clerk has more than one or two that don't match up and still gets to do IRS windows, that clerk would be a good one for the regulators to watch. They will be doing other hustles for higher ups. Only way for that clerk to remain an IRS clerk. The other clerks usually hate them, too.

Hope you're taking notes Joe L. A free tip for your cronies to consider.
wish i would have married a girl like you mzd!

MzDucat
06-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Married "The Breadman" 20 years ago. Best harness gambler I have ever known and great money management at runners, harness, and dogs. He was an alter boy and a boy scout and it still shows around the edges.

Took the job at the track so I could see him once in a while. We got married the first dark day after a meet. Most people wouldn't even know what that means. He has the same box since he was 16 and could tell you who had every pick 4 on track (before off shore wagering). Not one guy in management could do the same.

Nicest guy on the planet.

MzDucat
06-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Still trying to figure out how I got so lucky. Gamblers make the best husbands. I should say good gamblers. :)

fmolf
06-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Still trying to figure out how I got so lucky. Gamblers make the best husbands. I should say good gamblers. :)
now thats a true fairy tale story....good luck to you both!

MzDucat
06-02-2009, 09:53 PM
A gambler's wife will last a long time as long as she NEVER confuses house money with his bankroll. Never was stupid enough to touch that. Heard a million stories over the years from guys who got to the track and were missing the big bills. I'd be furious too.

Greyfox
06-02-2009, 11:10 PM
In life, what I give comes back to me.
On a losing day, I wouldn't think of not tipping a winning bet. It's just that easy.

Tom
06-03-2009, 07:28 AM
There a few clerks I would like to tip......

onefast99
06-03-2009, 09:01 AM
The amount of tipping is very negotiable its when you are in line with 1 minute to post and the guy ahead of you is playing a race that won't go off for another 25 minutes you start to sweat and then you see the friendly face of the teller pushing the other guy to the side and asking you what do you need. That's the teller you take care of!

Sly7449
06-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Greetings,

Food for thought.

I have done my share of tipping even when in one instance where the Teller fumbled in entering my selection which cost me a 5k super. The super was the last in my series of bets so with the fumble, I got shutout. As you may say that I was lucky to have the Tri ticket.

And Yes, I still gave her a nice Tip.

You see, that Teller was Very Apoligetic for the blunder (after the adajacent Tellers to chimed in) during he running of the race.

Well what do you know, I made it a point to go back to her and inform her that the Super came in. I did not need to rub it in too much but once again, the peanut gallery stsrted to really chew her out for questioning my selection repeatedly instead of just punching my f#$k@# numbers in.

I tought that she was going to lose her job, so to ease the tremor, she got $100. Yeah, only because I was having a very good night:-)

While on the Topic of Tellers, do Bank Tellers get Tips?

How about those folks at the Check Cashing Outlets? Western Union, Moneygram, etc.

How about the sad Cashier at Wal-Mart or Kroger.

I guess we at the Track are always happy to share the wealth.

Now I know why the guy stays in the Mens Room for hours just to hand you a piece of Paper Towel to dry your hands.

L8R

Sly

strapper
06-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Wouldn't it be neat if the Hooters girls took bets on big days?

ryesteve
06-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't it be neat if the Hooters girls took bets on big days?Yes, because the lines aren't already slow enough on those days :D

miesque
06-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Wouldn't it be neat if the Hooters girls took bets on big days?

Yes and you and every other guy that got in those lines would deserve every messed up ticket you received. :D

Robert Fischer
06-04-2009, 09:46 AM
"keep the silver"

if I am winning hand over fist, they also get the odd dollars at the end of the payout

a couple oldtimers in sparse OTBs that I always give a buck to

MzDucat
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
An old boss of mine knowingly hired a former stripper from a dive called the Bunkhouse. Once she took a very drunk buddy of mine's tickets and shoved them into her cleavage, leaned toward him and said "If you win you can get them from Tinkerbell". Tinkerbell was a tat on her left breast, which she claimed she had for her little pixie daughter (you can't make up crap like that). She said that line a million times.

He said, "I'd like to take a bite out of Tinerbell." She giggled and said, "Iwish you would."

His girlfriend Annie was up at the dining table nearby. Whoa, Nelly you should have seen her face.

Swear to God Ron came in the next day asking why Annie was sitting on the bed the next morning caressing one of the butchers knives. He didn't remember a damn thing. :lol:

By the way, she sucked as a clerk, literally a figuratively. Great stories about her many larcenous interactions with the public, including blackmail.

Her face needed bondo too.

fmolf
06-04-2009, 04:24 PM
An old boss of mine knowingly hired a former stripper from a dive called the Bunkhouse. Once she took a very drunk buddy of mine's tickets and shoved them into her cleavage, leaned toward him and said "If you win you can get them from Tinkerbell". Tinkerbell was a tat on her left breast, which she claimed she had for her little pixie daughter (you can't make up crap like that). She said that line a million times.

He said, "I'd like to take a bite out of Tinerbell." She giggled and said, "Iwish you would."

His girlfriend Annie was up at the dining table nearby. Whoa, Nelly you should have seen her face.

Swear to God Ron came in the next day asking why Annie was sitting on the bed the next morning caressing one of the butchers knives. He didn't remember a damn thing. :lol:

By the way, she sucked as a clerk, literally a figuratively. Great stories about her many larcenous interactions with the public, including blackmail.

Her face needed bondo too.
you ought to write a book i hope you are keeping a journal?....for when you retire and are in the clear from job related repercussions.. you should write one!...think of a catchy title and run with it......

thespaah
06-04-2009, 11:57 PM

Same here. I am a two timer also. Once to buy a voucher. Once to cash the voucher. On occasion, when I am winning large I will cash my voucher because it's a worry to me about losing that little piece of paper. Then I will buy another much lower amount voucher to carry me through the rest of the day.
I have never tipped a mutuel clerk. Never thought it was necessary.

rokitman
06-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Tip parimutuel clerks :lol:

MzDucat
06-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Sorry sir, my line is closed. No more Daily Racing Forms? Gee that's rough. My paper? Sorry sir, I promised it to a doctor from the hospital who called ahead. :lol:

You just bet all your double money on a horse that has no earthly chance.
How do I know? Just had coffee with the trainer who told me the horse can't win out of non winners of 5 level and the owner likes to get a check every week. :lol:

Told 3 of my tippers and they keyed him for second and third and nailed the tri with a 13 to 1 on top and they didn't have to throw away money keying the chalker on top. :lol:

To each his own. :D

MzDucat
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh, yeah and in the 7th race that same night...

My vet's girl told me 5 days ago that she held Asa's bay while they shaved his palate. And Tommy down on window 16 just called down to me, "Doesn't Asa's family look nice tonight?" Sure enough, kids look like it's Easter. Grandma and Grandpa are here too...

He's got 2 horses in tonight and one is the bay. 8 to 1 morning line.

Who should I share this with.... decisions, decisions :lol:

Track Collector
06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Tips to tellers at small, agricultural fairs are a must, even if you have an unsuccessful wagering day. Many work for peanuts, if not for free.

miesque
06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
There are people out there asking for selections from tellers? :confused:

Jumpnthefire
06-05-2009, 12:02 PM
i tipped the teller a 100 after i hit the 2001 derby tri . to this day litruly the teller always rmebers me and treats me like a high roller lol

Bruddah
06-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Tellers are people working for a living like most. They need to pay their bills and send their children to school, like everyone else. Just because I am the customer doesn't mean I should treat them like 3rd World Lepers. Even if they make a mistake. As a teenager, I worked for tips and found out the reality of such jobs. People tended to look down on you because you are the "servant" waiting on their needs. Not all, but many. The ones which don't are usually very pleasant, fun and generous.

I remembered that lesson as a young man moving through different phases and stages of my life. One of the best lessons taught in the Judeo-Christain sense is: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. We all fail that one miserably, most of the time. Just thank your lucky stars you aren't on the other side of the counter and have the opportunity to make somone's day a better one. It doesn't always take money. A kind word or a thoughtful act works wonders.

Can we get a big Amen Bruddah! :D

fmolf
06-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Tellers are people working for a living like most. They need to pay their bills and send their children to school, like everyone else. Just because I am the customer doesn't mean I should treat them like 3rd World Lepers. Even if they make a mistake. As a teenager, I worked for tips and found out the reality of such jobs. People tended to look down on you because you are the "servant" waiting on their needs. Not all, but many. The ones which don't are usually very pleasant, fun and generous.

I remembered that lesson as a young man moving through different phases and stages of my life. One of the best lessons taught in the Judeo-Christain sense is: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. We all fail that one miserably, most of the time. Just thank your lucky stars you aren't on the other side of the counter and have the opportunity to make somone's day a better one. It doesn't always take money. A kind word or a thoughtful act works wonders.

Can we get a big Amen Bruddah! :D
very well said.....mzducat do all tellers get this inside info?....i go to belmont mostly on the clubhouse side....unfortunately never got friendly with any tellers especially since i use self service machines....some even take cash now so i only need to see a teller at the end unless i am returning in a few days then i take it home and use it next time...

Grits
06-05-2009, 03:58 PM
MzD, not even 60 posts yet, and I can't tell you how much laughter you've gotten out of me. Along with the wisdom of years of experience. This Southern girl is glad you're here. You're a true joy.

Saratoga's a big place, but I know I can find ya. LOLOL
Sorry sir, my line is closed. No more Daily Racing Forms? Gee that's rough. My paper? Sorry sir, I promised it to a doctor from the hospital who called ahead. :lol:

You just bet all your double money on a horse that has no earthly chance.
How do I know? Just had coffee with the trainer who told me the horse can't win out of non winners of 5 level and the owner likes to get a check every week. :lol:

Told 3 of my tippers and they keyed him for second and third and nailed the tri with a 13 to 1 on top and they didn't have to throw away money keying the chalker on top. :lol:

To each his own. :D

MzDucat
06-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Well I'm not a teller anymore, but I do get cool stuff because Saratoga is my hometown and the Oklahoma training track is a beehive for months before the meet. Rode in horse trailers to sell quarter horses as a kid and met D.Wayne before he switched to the big time. Took lessons from Neil Shapiro after he won a silver medal in the Olympics. Tried other industries but felt more at home at the tracks. Any tracks. All tracks. The guys are great.

Harness drivers used to stand on the bike rails and scream "I love you" to me at qualifiers. Held horses for vets and blacksmiths and guards loved me because I'd bring a 5 lb bag of italian cookies to the morning workouts. Shug never remembers my name but used to call me his pr agent. (he really is a mega talent at knowing what his horses have in the tank). I know which NYRA guys are exercise riders in the morning and who has the best tip sheet (we talk to the bettor with a spreadsheet on who's doing well at what track).
House full of track followers every year. We call it the old handicappers home. Life's been good. No kicks.

Not sure about all clerks knowing stuff. Some guys give out every horse in the race three times over to get a tip. And yes, I've had bad info. Allen Jerkins assistant trainer gave us tips-all still running. Bags and I never bet them after the first two but thanked him anyway. Harness info gathering is different than runner info gathering. I'll explain when I see you in Saratoga.