PDA

View Full Version : Ghostzapper Baby

MickJ26
05-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Today's fourth race at Hollywood features a Ghostzapper filly named Ghost Shadow. Is this the first Ghostzapper baby to hit the track? I've been waiting since the 2005 Met Mile to finally see some of Ghostzapper's offspring.

onefast99
05-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Kelly breen has one also.

miesque
05-31-2009, 03:46 PM
I was looking at that horse and wondering the same thing since when you look at the sire stats its completely blank on the BRIS Ultimate PPs and at the Blood-Horse Stallion Register I don't see any mention of any runners. Interesting side note, Ghostzapper broke his maiden in an MSW at Hollywood Park at age 2, it was his lone win in two starts that year. This race is incidentially the start of the Pick 6.

CincyHorseplayer
05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey man thanks for the heads up.They're just starting at Hollywood.Thought I might have missed it.

This is one of the cool things about being around the game for a little bit.Things like this garnish your interest:)

And BTW.Didn't you think 5/2 on Ghostzapper in the BC was easy money??!!

CincyHorseplayer
05-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Interesting side note, Ghostzapper broke his maiden in an MSW at Hollywood Park at age 2, it

That was before they started racing on moon dust Miesque!!It might be an observation of the past:)

juanepstein
05-31-2009, 03:57 PM
the MADCAP ESCAPADE filly just might be a little quicker out of the gates. if the ZAPPER filly has the same style as her dad then shes gonna be in back early.

take my chances with the speed. well hoping they show speed- :3::6:

toussaud
05-31-2009, 04:28 PM
That was before they started racing on moon dust Miesque!!It might be an observation of the past:)
broke his maiden on 11/16/02 race 6. went off at like 10 to 1 at that. i'm like the head of the ghostzapper fan club.

juanepstein
05-31-2009, 04:31 PM
broke his maiden on 11/16/02 race 6. went off at like 10 to 1 at that. i'm like the head of the ghostzapper fan club.

soon after that win i bought a sweet derby ticket on him. think it was around 30/1 cant really remember because its been a while but those hopes were dust in the wind when frankel decided he wanted to give him time off and come back for his 4 yr old campaign.:(

MickJ26
05-31-2009, 04:32 PM
I was beginning to think Frank Stronach was going to keep them all for himself. Ghostzapper really didn't become a superstar until late in his 3 year old year with his amazing run in the Vosburgh.

The greatest race I've ever seen live and in person, the 2004 Woodward at Belmont, two future BC Classic winners neck and neck, nose to nose with Saint Liam practically pushing Ghostzapper into the parking lot.

FenceBored
05-31-2009, 04:33 PM
From the Bloodhorse Maiden Watch Blog:

May 31, 2009
Hollywood Park Race 4
Ghost Shadow (Ghostzapper - Gracious Living by Pleasant Colony) is the first entrant for Ghostzapper.

-- http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/maidenwatch/archive/2009/05/30/the-first-ghost.aspx (http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/maidenwatch/archive/2009/05/30/the-first-ghost.aspx)

toussaud
05-31-2009, 04:34 PM
soon after that win i bought a sweet derby ticket on him. think it was around 30/1 cant really remember because its been a while but those hopes were dust in the wind when frankel decided he wanted to give him time off and come back for his 4 yr old campaign.:(
frankel didn't "decide' he came up injuried and he wasn't going to rush him back for a grueling triple crown trail.

had he been rushed back, like some trainers would have done once they realized what they had under the hood, it would have been the end of ghostzapper before he was able to show his true brilliance.

he didnt' race often, but when he did race, your only hope was he injuried himself in the race. you had no real chance if he didn't

interesting, ghostzapper's fee was 200k a pop for ghost shadow. sold for 30k. she must have 5 legs or something. but they say she is as quick as all get out.

juanepstein
05-31-2009, 04:44 PM
frankel didn't "decide' he came up injuried and he wasn't going to rush him back for a grueling triple crown trail.

had he been rushed back, like some trainers would have done once they realized what they had under the hood, it would have been the end of ghostzapper before he was able to show his true brilliance.

he didnt' race often, but when he did race, your only hope was he injuried himself in the race. you had no real chance if he didn't

interesting, ghostzapper's fee was 200k a pop for ghost shadow. sold for 30k. she must have 5 legs or something. but they say she is as quick as all get out.

couldnt remember the injury news but if you say he did i believe you. i remember just being sad because i had this big ticket on pretty much a lock.

same thing happened to me with DINARD. had a 60/1 ticket on him and he was the favorite. injured himself at churchill the day before the derby.:(

toussaud
05-31-2009, 04:46 PM
couldnt remember the injury news but if you say he did i believe you. i remember just being sad because i had this big ticket on pretty much a lock.

same thing happened to me with DINARD. had a 60/1 ticket on him and he was the favorite. injured himself at churchill the day before the derby.:(

ghostzaqpper was extremely fraglie. extremely. 11 starts over 4 years.

CincyHorseplayer
05-31-2009, 04:57 PM

That's cool.It's amazing how names,dates,and payoffs stick to you.I think I could link every phase of my life over the last decade by scores!!!

toussaud
05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
That's cool.It's amazing how names,dates,and payoffs stick to you.I think I could link every phase of my life over the last decade by scores!!!
it's funny i subconciously equate what's going on in my life with who was running at the time.

I broke up with my fiancee when giacomo wont he derby. dont' even remember the year off the top of my head but I remember giacomo won the derby.

Ian Meyers
05-31-2009, 10:13 PM
When he was stabled at Palm Meadows in Feb 2005. We used one of these pics as our XMAS card that year...

jballscalls
05-31-2009, 10:20 PM
When he was stabled at Palm Meadows in Feb 2005. We used one of these pics as our XMAS card that year...

awesome picture Ian!

Ian Meyers
05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
My son was about 7 1/2 at the time....

We got a number of good pictures of my son w/Frankel and Dutrow's stable stars (arranged by a friend who knew both trainers) including Gzapper, St. Liam, Peace Rules and Offlee Wild.

onefast99
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
My son was about 7 1/2 at the time....

We got a number of good pictures of my son w/Frankel and Dutrow's stable stars (arranged by a friend who knew both trainers) including Gzapper, St. Liam, Peace Rules and Offlee Wild.
PM is a real nice facility the track is beautiful and the stables are state of the art. As clean as you can get. Nice pics...

ghostyapper
06-01-2009, 11:11 AM
I was beginning to think Frank Stronach was going to keep them all for himself. Ghostzapper really didn't become a superstar until late in his 3 year old year with his amazing run in the Vosburgh.

The greatest race I've ever seen live and in person, the 2004 Woodward at Belmont, two future BC Classic winners neck and neck, nose to nose with Saint Liam practically pushing Ghostzapper into the parking lot.

Not only 2 future BC winners but 2 HOY winners. I honestly believe had he not been carried out so wide, GZ might have broken secretariat's 9 furlongs belmont record of 1.45-2

St. Liam was the only horse that ever challenged GZ, a great race by 2 champions

Ian Meyers
06-01-2009, 11:36 AM
PM is a real nice facility the track is beautiful and the stables are state of the art. As clean as you can get. Nice pics...

I actually live across the street from it now. I lived about 20 minutes from it at the time those photos were taken.

MickJ26
06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Not only 2 future BC winners but 2 HOY winners. I honestly believe had he not been carried out so wide, GZ might have broken secretariat's 9 furlongs belmont record of 1.45-2

St. Liam was the only horse that ever challenged GZ, a great race by 2 champions

I also believe if he hadn't injured himself in the Met Mile, he would've gone under 1:32. I know he was fragile to begin with, but, maybe in retrospect, if Bobby Frankel could've gotten an allowance race in him before the Met Mile, something to get him in peak racing shape, he could've run through the Breeders Cup. Hindsight is always 20/20 and Bobby isn't in the Hall of Fame by accident.

tucker6
06-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I see Ghost Shadow finished 6th. Any commentary on why??

onefast99
06-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I actually live across the street from it now. I lived about 20 minutes from it at the time those photos were taken.
The houses across the street are really nice. You are pretty close to everything. Do you ever think that PM will become a full service racetrack instead of just a training facility?

DrugS
06-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I see Ghost Shadow finished 6th. Any commentary on why??

because he's not very fast.

Ian Meyers
06-01-2009, 07:14 PM
The houses across the street are really nice. You are pretty close to everything. Do you ever think that PM will become a full service racetrack instead of just a training facility?

I don't think it will ever be anything other than a training center. Too many locally opposed to the idea of turning it into a track. As far as where I am being convenient to all, its a tad too far west for my tastes, about 20 minutes from the beach and 15 minutes from I-95.