PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Scientific Development

JustRalph
05-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I hope I see it in my lifetime........... a replacement energy source

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.12fab6f6c00a65e15e6fb5e305aacbb 7.41&show_article=1

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-05-30-voa19.cfm

From the links:
"We can create the stars right here on earth. And I can see already my friends in Hollywood being very upset that their stuff that they show on the big screen is obsolete. We have the real stuff right here."

NIF is touted as the world's highest-energy laser system. It is located inside the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory about an hour's drive from San Francisco.

Equipment connected to a house-sized sphere can focus 192 laser beams on a small point, generating temperatures and pressures that exist at cores of stars or giant planets.

NIF will be able to create conditions and conduct experiments never before possible on Earth, according to the laboratory.

A fusion reaction triggered by the super laser hitting hydrogen atoms will produce more energy than was required to prompt "ignition," according to NIF director Edward Moses.

"This is the long-sought goal of 'energy gain' that has been the goal of fusion researchers for more than half a century," Moses said.

"NIF's success will be a scientific breakthrough of historic significance; the first demonstration of fusion ignition in a laboratory setting, duplicating on Earth the processes that power the stars."

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Sounds a little scary...are they going to blow up the earth? :eek:

OTM Al
05-31-2009, 07:28 PM
This has been goal and physicists have been working on it for a long time. This kind of nuclear power creates no waste like current reactors. This would be a tremendous breakthough if the find a way to make this work. This is the payoff to those research dollars. This is the kind of thing that gets rid of our dependence on petrochemicals.

Marshall Bennett
05-31-2009, 08:13 PM
To bad they can't create a black hole and invite Pelosi & Reid for a demonstration . :)

boxcar
05-31-2009, 08:37 PM
To bad they can't create a black hole and invite Pelosi & Reid for a demonstration . :)

Tsk, tsk, tsk. You are hereby condemned to serve 5 years without parole in the Extended and Intensified Tolerance 101 course in Leavenworth.

Boxcar

Dave Schwartz
05-31-2009, 10:06 PM
To bad they can't create a black hole and invite Pelosi & Reid for a demonstration

Marshall,

That's why you are so respected on this board... always thinking.

:ThmbUp:

Dave

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2009, 11:14 PM
To bad they can't create a black hole and invite Pelosi & Reid for a demonstration . :)We used to yell at 46 for turning every thread into a Bush bashing thread....please don't imitate 46....

Marshall Bennett
06-01-2009, 09:13 AM
We used to yell at 46 for turning every thread into a Bush bashing thread....please don't imitate 46....
Sorry , just couldn't resist . I'll try to do better . :)