PDA

View Full Version : Mine That Bird a single?

MickJ26
05-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Since Rachel isn't running, does Mine That Bird become a single on most people's pick 4 and pick 6 tickets? I'm sure that by post time, Mine That Bird will be odds-on.

Robert Fischer
05-29-2009, 06:56 PM
gelding

FlyinLate
05-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Never would I consider a horse with his running style a single in the Belmont.
IMO the Belmont Stakes will be a race to go deep.

OTM Al
05-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Nope. Not even close. Might use him just in case (and don't think I won't cheer for Calvin) but not as a key. There should be good prices on many other horses

Cadillakin
05-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Never would I consider a horse with his running style a single in the Belmont.
IMO the Belmont Stakes will be a race to go deep.
I don't know about the going deep part, but I'm 100% with your reasoning of not singling a horse of his style..

He still has a lot to prove to me.. He lagged and powered home in the mud.. Then he lagged and picked off horses of questionable quality in the Preakness.. Unless a horse is showing real high class speed in that last part, I'll bet against the laggers every time.

I'm rootin for him though... He's a cool little guy.. And tough to boot.

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
I never underestimate Zito and his entries. I like MTB, but I'm not putting all my apples in a basket on this one. Besides, I think I'd like to see Calvin throw in a bomb. It just might bring him down a peg or two.

Saratoga_Mike
05-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I never underestimate Zito and his entries. I like MTB, but I'm not putting all my apples in a basket on this one. Besides, I think I'd like to see Calvin throw in a bomb. It just might bring him down a peg or two.

Could you please expand on that thought? Do you mean CB's full of himself?

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Could you please expand on that thought? Do you mean CB's full of himself?

I do think Borel is beginning to think he is indispensable, and that just isn't the case. Yep, I think the boy is getting a big head. Like I said, when he chose RA over MTB..it would have been the end of him for me. I would have picked another jockey by now. I also think he was full of himself with all the damned excuses he made for RA not handling the tracks, blah, blah, blah. He won, but he sure as heck was getting closed on. Maybe that's the reason he was whipping the crap out of her..ya think maybe? I DON'T believe in overuse of the whip. To each their own.

Why is it that women have to explain everything they say to men? :bang:

Saratoga_Mike
05-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I do think Borel is beginning to think he is indispensable, and that just isn't the case. Yep, I think the boy is getting a big head. Like I said, when he chose RA over MTB..it would have been the end of him for me. I would have picked another jockey by now. I also think he was full of himself with all the damned excuses he made for RA not handling the tracks, blah, blah, blah. He won, but he sure as heck was getting closed on. Maybe that's the reason he was whipping the crap out of her..ya think maybe? I DON'T believe in overuse of the whip. To each their own.

Why is it that women have to explain everything they say to men? :bang:

I challenge everyone on the board vigorously when I disagree with them - please see my postings in the political section if you doubt this assertion. In this case, I merely asked a question in a rather polite manner, I might say.

If you'd like to be treated differently b/c of your gender, please say so and I will comply.

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 08:10 PM
I challenge everyone on the board vigorously when I disagree with them - please see my postings in the political section if you doubt this assertion. In this case, I merely asked a question in a rather polite manner, I might say.

If you'd like to be treated differently b/c of your gender, please say so and I will comply.

Did I not give you a politically correct answer? Under the circumstances I gave you the answer I truly felt was appropriate. If I come across a little abruptly..I apologize. I simply think there are a lot of great jockeys out there besides Borel. Why wouldn't it go to his head with two camps waiting on him? Like I said, if MTB was my horse, Borel wouldn't have a ride on him after jumping off him for Rachel. I still believe the Preakness could have turned out differently, and I'm positive the Belmont would have been her undoing. How's that for saying something with certainty?

Saratoga_Mike
05-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Did I not give you a politically correct answer? Under the circumstances I gave you the answer I truly felt was appropriate. If I come across a little abruptly..I apologize. I simply think there are a lot of great jockeys out there besides Borel. Why wouldn't it go to his head with two camps waiting on him? Like I said, if MTB was my horse, Borel wouldn't have a ride on him after jumping off him for Rachel. I still believe the Preakness could have turned out differently, and I'm positive the Belmont would have been her undoing. How's that for saying something with certainty?

No, no, my response was to your statement: "Why is it that women have to explain everything they say to men?" I didn't follow it.

Saratoga_Mike
05-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Moreover, invoking gender would be very politically correct.

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Moreover, invoking gender would be very politically correct.

OK, would you mind explaining that comment that invoking gender is politically correct?

Saratoga_Mike
05-29-2009, 08:22 PM
OK, would you mind explaining that comment that invoking gender is politically correct?

It's politically correct when the gender is female.

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 08:24 PM
It's politically correct when the gender is female.

OK, now I'm completely confused. So, are you telling me something about females I don't know or what? Are you cutting me slack because I'm female? Trust me, I don't need it. I am able to take care of myself.

Saratoga_Mike
05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
OK, now I'm completely confused. So, are you telling me something about females I don't know or what? Are you cutting me slack because I'm female? Trust me, I don't need it. I am able to take care of myself.

Okay, that's what I was confused by. I thought you wanted to be treated differently. I apologize for my confusion.

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Apology accepted. :)

rgustafson
05-29-2009, 09:20 PM
There have been more bad horses to win the Belmont than the other two triple crown races combined. Could easily happen again this year.

W2G
05-29-2009, 09:34 PM
MTB will be favored but won't be odds-on. They won't hammer Calvin Borel on this horse and his running style. A few others figure to take a lot of play.

However he is absolutely a single for me. Look for Borel to continue the recent trend of a rider winning the Belmont in his first try. With a decisive win a distinct possibility, MTB can jump ahead of the recuperating RA in that other race for HOTY.

Relwob Owner
05-29-2009, 09:36 PM
MTB will be favored but won't be odds-on. They won't hammer Calvin Borel on this horse and his running style. A few others figure to take a lot of play.

However he is absolutely a single for me. Look for Borel to continue the recent trend of a rider winning the Belmont in his first try. With a decisive win a distinct possibility, MTB can jump ahead of the recuperating RA in that other race for HOTY.

You say MTB jumps ahead of RA for HOTY....arent you forgetting Einstein????

Imriledup
05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
MTB will be overbet because people just assume that a horse who is a deep closer like him will appreciate a longer distance...that isn't always the case.

You know the saying about the wedding and the funeral.

toussaud
05-29-2009, 10:52 PM
bad horses win the belmont becuase the distance is vastly exaggerated and a lot of riders dont' ride races that long, aren't use to the pace.

I would look hard at charitable man. he should love the distance, 3rd race off a long layoff, has one of the hottest jocs in the country, perfect running style, he sits right off the pace, etc

big frank
05-29-2009, 11:24 PM
DUNKIRK = SINGLE !!!!!!!!!!

WinterTriangle
05-29-2009, 11:39 PM
There have been more bad horses to win the Belmont than the other two triple crown races combined.

I'd be pretty happy to own a "bad" horse that won the Belmont. :)

As someone already said, very few of our horses run that far and the jocks aren't used to it either. I would say it takes good "team work", patience and timing on the part of the jock, and stamina from the horse, to get the job done. Something I admire, and will admire, whoever does it this year.

Given the amount of horse who have been injured this year, all young ones that were going to run the TC..... I'd say the "bad" horses are the ones that are ill-bred, i.e., hardly ran any races yet in their young lives, and yet their bodies are breaking down already.

Not normal.

Combination breeding plus running them w/weight before their bones fill in, IMHO. I'll go on record again as saying prep races at 3 years old, TC at 4. Of course, that would delay the "rush to the breeding shed", which wouldn't please the PTB.

toussaud
05-29-2009, 11:42 PM
WHILE WE ARE ON THE SUBJECT....

I have always wondered why more euro's don't give the belmont a shot. they are more use to the distance and still are able to have that explosive kick. some might not take to dirt, but some will.

Robert Fischer
05-30-2009, 12:21 AM

I have always wondered why more euro's don't give the belmont a shot. they are more use to the distance and still are able to have that explosive kick. some might not take to dirt, but some will.

That would be interesting. Particularly if they brought over a couple of really good (group I) mile and a quarter turf horses they have.

riskman
05-30-2009, 12:54 AM
If RA had not entered and won the Preakness and MTB had pulled it off we could be watching MTB contending for the Triple Crown in the Belmont Stakes on June 6th.
Regardless, it will still be difficult for MTB to win since the gelding has competed in both the Derby and Preakness and now has to compete at 1 1/2 miles. Who knows we could have another Sarava who paid $142. in 2002.

I think the distance is the key here-stamina will be important and gaining ground in the stretch. I do not see a Secretariat here pulling away for a 31 lengths victory. :)

Bettowin
05-30-2009, 02:22 AM

Sarava keeps coming back to my thoughts. Was he from Europe or off the grass or neither?

Tee
05-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Sarava started his racing career as a 2 year old in England on the grass win-less in three starts. He won his states debut @ Churchill Downs in November 2001. He raced only once more that year finishing 2nd in a Alw22600n1x. He started 3 times heading towards the Belmont stakes as a three year old with 2 runner up finishes in alw company & then won the Sir Barton stakes before his win in the Belmont.

Sarava keeps coming back to my thoughts. Was he from Europe or off the grass or neither?

fmolf
05-30-2009, 08:13 PM
i would not count out any horse entered by zito or lukas because both of these old crafty horsemen seem to have horses peaking at the right time!some three year olds take longer to develop than others i will be looking hard at the zito horse and lukas's two if both run...especially luv guv!

Cat Thief
05-30-2009, 08:38 PM
If luv guv won the Belmont I will probably eat the Daily Racing Form

ryesteve
05-30-2009, 10:23 PM
If luv guv won the Belmont I will probably eat the Daily Racing FormI know what you mean, but he doesn't seem that much more far-fetched than Da'Tara

FenceBored
05-30-2009, 10:49 PM
If luv guv won the Belmont I will probably eat the Daily Racing Form

Gov. Patterson would have to congratulate Luv Guv on national TV? :lol:

Cat Thief
05-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Well I think D'Tara was sired by Tiz Now so I think that gives him a bit of status

FenceBored
05-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Well I think D'Tara was sired by Tiz Now so I think that gives him a bit of status

I remember hearing a Louisville handicapping show (Down the Stretch w/ Don Noble) the morning of the Belmont seriously talking about Da'Tara's early speed. They talked about him possibly holding on for a piece of it, but I don't remember them even hinting at a win.

BB fever, those were the days, eh?

MickJ26
05-31-2009, 03:18 PM

The people who go to the racetrack once a year will go all in on Mine That Bird with both fists. He's the only horse in the race most of them have ever heard of.
Depending on how the undercard shapes up and the weather, Mine That Bird will be a single on my "A" ticket. I'll spread around on my "B" ticket using Dunkirk, Miners Escape and Charitable Man. Early forecast for Saturday is scattered showers, temperature in the mid-70's.