PDA

View Full Version : Rachel out of Belmont

RobinFromIreland
05-29-2009, 05:05 PM
From Twitter:

http://twitter.com/EJXD2/statuses/1964235097 and http://twitter.com/EJXD2/statuses/1964271143

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 05:08 PM
This doesn't surprise me in the least, but are you sure it is for real. I mean come on, who tweeted this? Who the heck is Ed DeRosa?

RobinFromIreland
05-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Ed DeRosa, News Editor at Thoroughbred Times (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ed-derosa/0/794/3a5)

All over Twitter now: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=belmont+rachel

Not totally confirmed I guess, but this is how the news works now folks

RobinFromIreland
05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Now on the NYTimes: http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/29/rachel-alexandra-not-running-in-belmont-stakes/

Derbyman32
05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Announced on HRTV she is not running according to press release from Jackson.

slew101
05-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Shocker :lol: Just surprised Jackson to milk it into next week.

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Shocker :lol: Just surprised Jackson to milk it into next week.

I do believe we were two of the ones saying last night there wasn't a chance she would run. I just wonder why they didn't milk it till Monday like they planned. They did something right by the filly, because I would have hated to see her lose at 1 1/2. I think once they found out the MTB camp was waiting it out, there was no point in stringing anyone along. I do think MTB's camp should have just named another rider though.. There are more great jocks that Borel. If he had gotten off my horse for the Preakness, I damn sure wouldn't be using him. Damn, Borel might not have had a mount, and if he did it just could have been a dud. It would have served him right.

slew101
05-29-2009, 05:41 PM
I also agree on the jockey. It's not like Borel was the regular rider all year.

As for the decision, they might have really considered running her, but I doubt it. The bottom line, I think, is they want Horse of the Year. A loss would have hurt that. She needs to beat the boys once more, in the BC Classic, to win Horse of the Year. Running against them before that is foolish, unless it's a really overmatched field.

My prediction for her is Alabama, one at Belmont in the fall against fillies, then BC Classic.

I do believe we were two of the ones saying last night there wasn't a chance she would run. I just wonder why they didn't milk it till Monday like they planned. They did something right by the filly, because I would have hated to see her lose at 1 1/2. I think once they found out the MTB camp was waiting it out, there was no point in stringing anyone along. I do think MTB's camp should have just named another rider though.. There are more great jocks that Borel. If he had gotten off my horse for the Preakness, I damn sure wouldn't be using him. Damn, Borel might not have had a mount, and if he did it just could have been a dud. It would have served him right.

Marshall Bennett
05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
If he's had any balls he'd announced it a few days after the Preakness . Nothing has happened since that amounts to anything . He knew he wasn't going to run her . What a load of crap . :ThmbDown:

Relwob Owner
05-29-2009, 05:46 PM
If he's had any balls he'd announced it a few days after the Preakness . Nothing has happened since that amounts to anything . He knew he wasn't going to run her . What a load of crap . :ThmbDown:

You say that "he knew he wasnt going to run her.".....How do you know this? I dont think any of us are privy to the discussions between Asmussen and Jackson and I think those tell the tale....he may have been waiting to stick it to MTB's connections but i think it is more likely that there was disagreement btw Jackson and Asmussen about whether to run. Like everything, though, that too is speculation.....

Cangamble
05-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Ed DeRosa, News Editor at Thoroughbred Times (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ed-derosa/0/794/3a5)

All over Twitter now: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=belmont+rachel

Not totally confirmed I guess, but this is how the news works now folks
Rachel Alexander isn't running either:
http://twitter.com/#search?q=rachel%20alexander

Robert Fischer
05-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Rachel Alexander isn't running either:
http://twitter.com/#search?q=rachel%20alexander

I don't know what it says about her toughness, for opting out.

46zilzal
05-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Blood Horse as well
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51008/rachel-alexandra-to-skip-belmont

GOOD she doesn't need to become another shadow of herself as other became

Cangamble
05-29-2009, 06:20 PM
I figure this is going to hurt total viewing by 20% minimum.

MickJ26
05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
At least Rachel will make Mother Goose Day, a day that would've probably passed by with little fanfare, a must see race, even if it's just a field of five or six. Maybe the IEAH boys will take her on in the Alabama with Stardom Bound.

Saratoga...Rachel Alexandra....Calvin Borel....Stardom Bound....Mike Smith...The Travers....Mine That Bird....could be a juicy August.

point given
05-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Looks like Mother Goose at Belmont, june 27th, then i guess maybe the Haskell or Alabama they are keeping options open though

http://www.drf.com/news/article/104198.html

bishlap
05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
now she's just another filly that won a TC race...say bye bye

WinterTriangle
05-29-2009, 08:37 PM
I do believe we were two of the ones saying last night there wasn't a chance she would run.

And un-gracious enough to "redboard" about it. :rolleyes:

rgustafson
05-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I figure this is going to hurt total viewing by 20% minimum.

I thimk this is a conservative estimate. No Rachel and no triple crown means massive declines in attendance and handle from last year. Another meaningless "test of champions."

Hank
05-30-2009, 12:35 AM

11 fillys in 142 years have won TC races, 11 colts have won the TC in 142 years."Just another filly that won a TC race"...What a tool:rolleyes:

DanG
05-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Two slightly contradictory quotes from Jackson here. Here’s a link to the Randy Moss's excellent article on Rachel...

• Moss Article / 5/27/2009: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown09/columns/story?columnist=moss_randy&id=4209939

“"She's not in top shape right now," Jackson admitted Monday.”
• Bloomberg ~ 5/29/2009: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=aKIWRxe1qUpM&refer=home

“While she is in great shape, having strong works, and recovering well from her amazing performances, we feel Rachel deserves a well-earned vacation.”
I love this filly and hope nothing but the best for her, but I have serious doubts how her new owner will handle her after that knee-jerk Preakness audible. [End of editorial]

ryesteve
05-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Two slightly contradictory quotes
I think you're nitpicking here. "Great shape" doesn't mean "top shape", and if he's admitting that she's still "recovering", that directly implies she is in fact not in "top shape" and supports the original quote.

DanG
05-30-2009, 09:31 AM
I think you're nitpicking here. "Great shape" doesn't mean "top shape", and if he's admitting that she's still "recovering", that directly implies she is in fact not in "top shape" and supports the original quote.
You could very well be right Steve. I will admit I thought the Preakness move was very wrong so I do view the situation with built in prejudice.

FenceBored
05-30-2009, 09:58 AM

Wasn't the first quote from an impromptu press conference type of deal, while the second is from a prepared statement? I always expect to see a different slant, i.e. soft pedaling, from a press release.

lilmegahertz
05-30-2009, 11:31 AM
All I know is it will be my first time ever buying VOGUE when the issue she is in appears.....

Yep. Vogue. Read the news on Bloodhorse this morning.

Rapid Grey
05-30-2009, 01:33 PM
There are more great jocks that Borel. If he had gotten off my horse for the Preakness, I damn sure wouldn't be using him. Damn, Borel might not have had a mount, and if he did it just could have been a dud. It would have served him right.

Sure there are other great jockeys for MTB but these guys aren't dumb enough to think that the horse was the only reason they took the Roses.

Not another jocky on the planet would have won that race for them.

Cratos
05-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Sure there are other great jockeys for MTB but these guys aren't dumb enough to think that the horse was the only reason they took the Roses.

Not another jocky on the planet would have won that race for them.

Please educate me and I am not being facetious. Your statement: “Not another jockey on the planet would have won that race for them” just doesn’t make any sense because there isn’t way it can be proven and to the best of my understanding there isn’t merit to your assertion.

Eddie Maple won on Secretariat and Willie Shoemaker won on Forego; and the horses' previous jockeys, Turcotte and Gustine also won on the horses.

Again, what is your point?

bishlap
05-30-2009, 03:07 PM
11 fillys in 142 years have won TC races, 11 colts have won the TC in 142 years."Just another filly that won a TC race"...What a tool:rolleyes:2007 a filly wins the Belmont, 2008 a filly runs 2nd in the Derby, 2009 a filly wins the preakness. In this day and age of watered down drug addled horses, a talented filly winning, placing or showing in a TC race is hardly earth shattering. you're dismissed!

Hank
05-30-2009, 06:10 PM
2007 a filly wins the Belmont, 2008 a filly runs 2nd in the Derby, 2009 a filly wins the preakness. In this day and age of watered down drug addled horses, a talented filly winning, placing or showing in a TC race is hardly earth shattering. you're dismissed!

There are only 2 fillys alive in the world today that have won a TC race.RA and Rags. Gee.. why is that? "Just another filly that won a TC race":D

WinterTriangle
05-30-2009, 06:34 PM
It does seem rather contradictory, RA's in great shape, but won't run in the Belmont. If Jackson is the great sportsman, I guess I feel i need more clarity and more of a reason then, why she is not running?

I'm wondering if they could have ascertained that after her first post Preakness workout, and just milked the wait for media attention.

At any rate, runnig her in the Mother Goose would be kinda going backwards for her, wouldn't it? I can see Travers or Haskell being a little more forward thinking.

Edit: on the other hand, it's none of my business what Jackson does with the horse he owns. I do not know the reasons he bought the horse. When I own my own racehorse someday, I'll do as I please. :) In the meantime, I have never felt like anyone owed me anything.........I'd prefer they just treat the horses like they are owed somethng.....because, IMHO, they are. :)

toussaud
05-30-2009, 07:15 PM
are we really freaking having this conversation?

for the last 2 weeks I've heard nothing, NOTHING NOTHING but how she should skip the belmont, it would be the right thing to do.

They skip the belmont, and now it's 'going backwards', and 'contridactory'.

make up your freaking minds people.

horse racing fans are worse than a political parties core base

NY BRED
05-31-2009, 06:39 AM
a: I've stated for the past few weeks the right move was to scratch her
from the Belmont based upon the scenario of the Preakness. The
disappointment is the hype and length of time the connections
took to do the right move for RA.

b: While attendance will be down, the Belmont, inmho, becomes
wide open with some new faces, and some rested opponents
from the Derby, so exotics, pick 3's/4's become interesting.

Hoping for clear weather on Belmont day to make up for this
recent havoc..

joanied
05-31-2009, 03:45 PM

Man, if that's what you feel...I feel bad for you..."just another filly"...open your eyes, you're missing a lot.

joanied
05-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Two slightly contradictory quotes from Jackson here. Here’s a link to the Randy Moss's excellent article on Rachel...

• Moss Article / 5/27/2009: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown09/columns/story?columnist=moss_randy&id=4209939

• Bloomberg ~ 5/29/2009: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=aKIWRxe1qUpM&refer=home

I love this filly and hope nothing but the best for her, but I have serious doubts how her new owner will handle her after that knee-jerk Preakness audible. [End of editorial]

And now this (quote from article in the DRF)...

"Though Jackson's statement Friday didn't specifically address what Rachel Alexandra's next start would be, he had previously said that the Grade 1, $300,000 Mother Goose at Belmont on June 27 would be her next start if she skipped the Belmont Stakes. Also, according to New York Racing Association president Charles Hayward, Jackson told NYRA racing secretary P.J. Campo personally on Friday that Rachel Alexandra would run in a race at Belmont Park this meet."

DanG...I agree with your statement about how RA's new people are going to handle her... you know, they won the Preakness, IMO, off the training of Wiggins...that's why they knee jerked her into the Preakness...now her training is all up to Assmussen, and in my book, he ain't much of a trainer (I hope I'm wrong about that)
and, IMO, Jackson is like a politician...he keeps saying different things about the same subject...I don't think they know, at this point, what in hell they'll do with her. Why did Jackson tell Campo she wasn't going to race at all at Belmont Park...what about the Mother Goose, or the CCAO...are they gonna 'rest' her now until damned July or what? Hell, they haven't a clue.

I am bummed she isn't running on Saturday, but I suppose it's for the best....I wouldn't be saurprised if this final desision not to run her in the Belmont didn't come from them talking with Calvin...I think iof Calvin had said something like she finished up strong and took it all in stride, we'd see her on Sat. I think he told them pretty much what he said in public...and that scared them enough to want to rest her...

joanied
05-31-2009, 04:08 PM
All I know is it will be my first time ever buying VOGUE when the issue she is in appears.....

Yep. Vogue. Read the news on Bloodhorse this morning.

I didn't know that Vogue magazine was still being:eek: published...shows ya what I read...BloodHorse, Equus, The Horse...
:)
which issue will Rachel be in?

joanied
05-31-2009, 04:11 PM
2007 a filly wins the Belmont, 2008 a filly runs 2nd in the Derby, 2009 a filly wins the preakness. In this day and age of watered down drug addled horses, a talented filly winning, placing or showing in a TC race is hardly earth shattering. you're dismissed!

You are wrong:faint:

Cadillakin
05-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Just wanted to add that one of them died while doing it, and the other, Rags to Riches, raced only one more time... losing while running well under form...

I agree with DanG.. Running Rachel in the Belmont, considering her overpowering Oaks and her hard fought Preakness might have been asking too much..

toussaud
05-31-2009, 04:32 PM
And now this (quote from article in the DRF)...

"Though Jackson's statement Friday didn't specifically address what Rachel Alexandra's next start would be, he had previously said that the Grade 1, $300,000 Mother Goose at Belmont on June 27 would be her next start if she skipped the Belmont Stakes. Also, according to New York Racing Association president Charles Hayward, Jackson told NYRA racing secretary P.J. Campo personally on Friday that Rachel Alexandra would run in a race at Belmont Park this meet."

DanG...I agree with your statement about how RA's new people are going to handle her... you know, they won the Preakness, IMO, off the training of Wiggins...that's why they knee jerked her into the Preakness...now her training is all up to Assmussen, and in my book, he ain't much of a trainer (I hope I'm wrong about that)
and, IMO, Jackson is like a politician...he keeps saying different things about the same subject...I don't think they know, at this point, what in hell they'll do with her. Why did Jackson tell Campo she wasn't going to race at all at Belmont Park...what about the Mother Goose, or the CCAO...are they gonna 'rest' her now until damned July or what? Hell, they haven't a clue.

I am bummed she isn't running on Saturday, but I suppose it's for the best....I wouldn't be saurprised if this final desision not to run her in the Belmont didn't come from them talking with Calvin...I think iof Calvin had said something like she finished up strong and took it all in stride, we'd see her on Sat. I think he told them pretty much what he said in public...and that scared them enough to want to rest her...

see i love how assumssen isn't much of atrainer, a man who has won a breeders cup classic, and larry jones knows more than everyone ever combined on any subject known to man