PDA

View Full Version : Penn Nat announcer boo-boo

Doc
05-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Anybody catch that wrong call by Penn's track announcer last night in the seventh race? He kept shouting that Budka was in front from the top of the lane home ... in reality, the winner was Hidden Camera (the 9). I had made a small wager on Budka and was following him (the 3), then watched him drop back while the announcer went beserk calling his name in front. I know this was an honest mistake, but cripes, it gave me false hope that somehow that horse I was watching wasn't the right one.

End result: I lose.

strapper
05-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Who is the Penn announcer? He sounds kind of young.

wisconsin
05-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Who is the Penn announcer? He sounds kind of young.

John Bogar, been there for years as far as I can recall.

OFFandRUNNING10
05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
John Bogar was the announcer for many many years however I am unsure if he is still currently there.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, at least they didn't declare it a non-wagering event and refund all wagers! (Well, this time, anyway!)

slew101
05-29-2009, 01:57 PM
I like his race calls. He does sound young, but he's been there many years. Even the best ones do it. I had a similar race last year in the Sunshine Millions Classic at Santa Anita.

Trevor was calling the wrong horse in deep stretch even though I had bet him and saw him drop out on the turn. He didn't catch his mistake until the last few jumps.

BUD
05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
There is a guy out there now--It Dont matter whats happening I can't understand him. I thought it was me. Had someone come visit- He looks at me and says WTF did he just say!! I Dunno-
To Put some positive in my post and I will name this cat--The Track voice from River Downs surprised me.. I really think he does A great call---After seeing Oscar M whrn the Wagering Day is Done---I'm going to You Tube some Odd Couple.

Sorry another useless post---psst its the boredom--:bang:

jballscalls
05-29-2009, 05:35 PM
-The Track voice from River Downs surprised me.. I really think he does A great call---After seeing Oscar M whrn the Wagering Day is Done---I'm going to You Tube some Odd Couple.

Sorry another useless post---psst its the boredom--:bang:

His name is Peter Aiello, he's a younger guy (24 maybe) and he's working hard and doing great!

PrairieMeadows
05-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Peter is our former Assistant Racing Secretary, absolutely a rising star in this industry. He is on the facebook, a really good guy, loves racing, has some great stories about the AZ fair circuit.

Tape Reader
05-29-2009, 09:06 PM
In a zillion years, I couldn't accurately call a race.

But... I would bet a zillion dollars, that all of these negative posters, are always the same bettors that are in front of me on line, that stumble/bumble in calling out their bets.

Run Nicholas Run
05-29-2009, 10:50 PM

But... I would bet a zillion dollars, that all of these negative posters, are always the same bettors that are in front of me on line, that stumble/bumble in calling out their bets.

if you think the racetrack crowd is bad, come to a race and sports
book here in nevada and see the real LOADS.

Doc
05-30-2009, 05:09 PM

Excuse me? I've been betting the horses for over 30 years, and never stumble/bumble calling out my wagers. And how is pointing out an announcer's mistake a negative post? For Chrissakes, it wasn't like he called out the wrong horse's name once ... he must've shouted it 10 times. Even me, with my failing eyesight, could see the saddletowel was turquoise. Maybe if the stumbling/bumbling bet-callers bother you, you should consider opening a phone or internet account so that you can wager in solitude. Come to think of it, you're probably one of those guys that wait until they're loading into the gate to step up to the window, then want the Red Sea to part so you can rush right up to the mutuel clerk.

jballscalls
05-30-2009, 09:42 PM
. Even me, with my failing eyesight, could see the saddletowel was turquoise. .

most announcers dont memorize by saddle towel colors, they use silks. mistakes happen, nobody feels worse about it than the guy who made the mistake call

Rockford
07-09-2009, 10:11 AM
John Bogar was the announcer for many many years however I am unsure if he is still currently there.

I like Bogar as a race caller. I'd probably like him more, if I could actually HEAR his calls.

It's both shameful and in a way hysterically funny that Penn National can't seem to supply him with working audio equipment. I assume it doesn't happen live at the track, but on the broadcast his voice cuts in and out constantly during the race and during his pre-race comments.

Been going on for at least several months! Really Penn Nat? You can't fix THAT?? :D

Tom
07-09-2009, 10:21 AM
A miss-called race?
At Penn?

Surprised they didn't cancel the rest of the card. :rolleyes:

rokitman
07-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Maybe the horse that was supposed to win didn't and the announcer got caught that he wasn't actually watching the real race being there is no real need to anymore at Penn Criminal.

castaway01
07-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I like Bogar as a race caller. I'd probably like him more, if I could actually HEAR his calls.

It's both shameful and in a way hysterically funny that Penn National can't seem to supply him with working audio equipment. I assume it doesn't happen live at the track, but on the broadcast his voice cuts in and out constantly during the race and during his pre-race comments.

Been going on for at least several months! Really Penn Nat? You can't fix THAT?? :D

The volume is always low too.

Doc, you've heard of "rookie mistakes"? This was a "veteran mistake". Bogar is good overall though, just screwed up a race.

SansuiSC
07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
I remember decades ago they would give stretch calls on all news radio stations during sports segments.

I could not imagine this one if you had the horse. Especially at a price.

Needless to say they dont do that on news radio anymore. (kinda miss it but don't have a need nowadays anyway)

LottaKash
07-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I remember decades ago they would give stretch calls on all news radio stations during sports segments.

I could not imagine this one if you had the horse. Especially at a price.

Needless to say they dont do that on news radio anymore. (kinda miss it but don't have a need nowadays anyway)

I remember those days all too well...In the NYC area, some of the local AM stations used to give you the stretch calls and or the results, for the days or nites races....

It was either that or you had to wait til the morning newspaper to hit the streets to see how your horse made out......"The Bookies" were our OTB back then....

best,

Shemp Howard
07-09-2009, 08:55 PM
PA Governor Ed Rendell was at the track that night and placed a nice wager on Budka. Penn National paid off the Governor's bet since the announcer called Budka the winner.

Some would call that a bribe; others an honest mistake.

MakinItHappen
07-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Trevor was calling the wrong horse in deep stretch even though I had bet him and saw him drop out on the turn. He didn't catch his mistake until the last few jumps.

Was that the same race where the odds on the winner actually went up during the race? :faint: Odd, very odd! :bang:

Best of Luck Everyone!

MakinItHappen

Whodoyalike?
07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
John Bogar is still the track announcer at the "pig pen"....

It's not his fault the the PA system is broken, and no, you can't hear the first quarter of the race if you go and watch it live...Normally the PA system picks up somewhere around :22 seconds into the race.

He's a great track announcer. I had the pleasure of meeting him and watch him call a race live. I am in aye of anyone that can memorize a dozen horses in a few minutes, then mentally forget them before the next race. I'm sure mistakes happon every day, it was just a shame he got the call wrong on the winning horse. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

Rockford
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Seems like the last few nights the audio has been fine. Don't know if someone was reading this thread, or just coincidence.

Either way, glad it's fixed. It sucks not being able to tell where your horse is because he's not in the close-up at the first call.