PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't Jess Jackson already have announced if Rachel will not run?

NoCal Boy
05-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Jess Jackson loves the sport. If he intended on not running Rachel Alexandra in the Belmont, would he wait until Monday of Belmont week to announce his decision, thereby disappointing nearly everyone in the industry? The Belmont is 1 1/2 miles. He knew that after the Preakness win. He knows this would be the filly's 3rd race in 5 weeks. All of this is a given, yet he has not announced a decision. I believe he will run the filly as long as she works out fine on Monday. To announce otherwise if the filly does indeed work out fine on Monday, would seriously disappoint many interested in this industry from casual fans to serious industry-types. Would Jess Jackson do this to the industry if he intended all along not to run in the Belmont? I doubt it.

Does this make sense to anyone other than me?

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I agree. He had every opportunity after Monday's work to say she wasn't going.

I thought last week that she wasn't going. Now I'm convinced she is going to run, barring any last minute setback.

I also think that perhaps Jackson is giving the owners of MTB a bit of "the business" because of what they publicly tried to do before the Preakness (namely, float the idea of stuffing the gate to keep Rachel out).

Jackson is stringing them along, keeping their jock assignment up in the air until the last possible moment...good for him I say...

Marshall Bennett
05-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore in this industry . I certainly hope she goes but I have my doubts .

Relwob Owner
05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree. He had every opportunity after Monday's work to say she wasn't going.

I thought last week that she wasn't going. Now I'm convinced she is going to run, barring any last minute setback.

I also think that perhaps Jackson is giving the owners of MTB a bit of "the business" because of what they publicly tried to do before the Preakness (namely, float the idea of stuffing the gate to keep Rachel out).

Jackson is stringing them along, keeping their jock assignment up in the air until the last possible moment...good for him I say...

I agree on all counts....there has been a lot of speculation on why Jackson may be waiting and I wasnt convinced he was doing it on purpose. However, what you say about gioving the MTB owners "the business" makes perfect sense.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Then again, he could also be "giving the business" with absolutely no intention of running...that scenario works as well...

But as of now, I think she is running.

matthewsiv
05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
His ego will make him run her,whether she is ready or not.

He has nothing to lose,some people thought that she would bounce after the Oaks.

Then she WON the Preakness (Beat the Boys!) and had a very hard race.

So if she gets beat in the Belmont (she bounced or did not get the 1.5 miles) and he has lost nothing because she already won the Preakness.

If she wins,he looks incredibly clever and everyone will be saying that she is a triple crown winner of sorts and would have won the Kentucky Derby if she had been entered.

Relwob Owner
05-28-2009, 08:38 PM
His ego will make him run her,whether she is ready or not.

He has nothing to lose,some people thought that she would bounce after the Oaks.

Then she WON the Preakness (Beat the Boys!) and had a very hard race.

So if she gets beat in the Belmont (she bounced or did not get the 1.5 miles) and he has lost nothing because she already won the Preakness.

If she wins,he looks incredibly clever and everyone will be saying that she is a triple crown winner of sorts and would have won the Kentucky Derby if she had been entered.

An I missing something regarding Jess Jackson and his "ego"? I hear people take shots at him but I cant seem to figure out what he has done to deserve it....compared to some other high profile owners the last few years, he seems to be fine and by continuing to run Curlin and by buying RA, has given us all a ton to talk about.

matthewsiv
05-28-2009, 08:48 PM
An I missing something regarding Jess Jackson and his "ego"? I hear people take shots at him but I cant seem to figure out what he has done to deserve it....compared to some other high profile owners the last few years, he seems to be fine and by continuing to run Curlin and by buying RA, has given us all a ton to talk about.

If he did not have an ego,he would have declared his intentions before now on whether RA runs or not.

He loves to be seen in the thick of it all.

Every advert for his wine there is a picture of him.

I have nothing against him and in many ways he has been very good for the industry and I hope that he continues.

This is just my personal opinion.

lamboguy
05-28-2009, 08:55 PM
since when is the owner going to make a decision on where to enter a horse?

why would jess jackson pay steve assmussen to train the horse if he was going to make all the decisions?

i think she will run, they don't have to say anything until its time to enter.

the window's in the las vegas books remain open. maybe someone wants to make sure that she is going to run before plunking down their money @3-1.

she will never be 3-1 at the mutual windows the day of the race, more like 7-5 or less.

after that less than stellar ride in the preakness, the only ones that know how good she really is are her connections and the horse. as far as i know the horse ain't talking.

Relwob Owner
05-28-2009, 09:11 PM
If he did not have an ego,he would have declared his intentions before now on whether RA runs or not.

He loves to be seen in the thick of it all.

Every advert for his wine there is a picture of him.

I have nothing against him and in many ways he has been very good for the industry and I hope that he continues.

This is just my personal opinion.

Gotcha....I wasnt disagreeing with you as much as seeing if I had missed something. I guess most guys who have made a lot of dough tend to have egos. As far as the intentions go, my two cents is that he really wants to run and Asmussen doesnt and that is what is taking so long....as with most other takes on it, just a guess and there is probably lots going on behind the scenes none of us know about..

FenceBored
05-28-2009, 09:28 PM

why would jess jackson pay steve assmussen to train the horse if he was going to make all the decisions?

Because he doesn't want to get up that early every morning?

slew101
05-28-2009, 09:31 PM
I think he just enjoys the media attention. I don't think he has any intention of running. Might even come up with a bogus excuse to keep her out, saying "we were going to run but.."

startngate
05-28-2009, 09:45 PM
since when is the owner going to make a decision on where to enter a horse?Just since the beginning of time ... :lol:

CincyHorseplayer
05-28-2009, 09:48 PM
God forbid he might be waiting on an answer from the horse.

What an apostasy!!Strangle neck and die!!

The thing that could not be=a conscientious human being.What a crock...

Isn't this the bleeding heart mentality that has been awaited or is it a smoke screen for more or less sinister intentions??

It's his call.I don't think the drama is any less than...I don't know??

Mineshaft
05-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Isnt this the 2nd work since the Preakness for RA? if they are working her again they plan on running her plain and simple. That would be 3 races in 5 weeks plus at least 3 official works since the KY Derby plus gallops. So much for giving her a little break.

Personally i think there squeezing the lemon dry if they run her.

matthewsiv
05-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Gotcha....I wasnt disagreeing with you as much as seeing if I had missed something. I guess most guys who have made a lot of dough tend to have egos. As far as the intentions go, my two cents is that he really wants to run and Asmussen doesnt and that is what is taking so long....as with most other takes on it, just a guess and there is probably lots going on behind the scenes none of us know about..

Relwob

You are a wind up merchant.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

lamboguy
05-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Just since the beginning of time ... :lol:not with this trainer!!

Relwob Owner
05-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Relwob

You are a wind up merchant.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have absolutely no clue if that is a complement or an insult but I have never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer.....

Quesmark
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Isnt this the 2nd work since the Preakness for RA? if they are working her again they plan on running her plain and simple. That would be 3 races in 5 weeks plus at least 3 official works since the KY Derby plus gallops. So much for giving her a little break.

Personally i think there squeezing the lemon dry if they run her.Isn't it better for RA to run in the Belmont Stakes[assuming she's 100% healthy]on June 6th instead of keeping her on the track an additional 3 weeks to run in the June 27th Acorn at Belmont,which the connections have said would be the alternative?

Win or lose she comes out of the Belmont,gets a few weeks break regroups,and a mid-summer/fall campaign can be mapped out.
Horses are "now" athletes,plans for them to do later may come to naught,run em when they're going good,who knows what tomorrow brings.

Jinxed
05-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I also think Jackson has no intention of running RA in the Belmont. Considering she was getting closed on in the Preakness, and the Belmont is a longer race, does he really want to see her lose? Naw, he is playing a game of cat and mouth with the owners/trainers of MTB, and Calvin is caught in the middle. Fortunately, MTB's camp will wait till Jackson announces all his reasons on Mon. why he isn' running RA. Who ever said there isn't a lot of crap involved in horseracing? :D

I really would like to think Jackson cares more about RA then to run her again after that grueling race...but then you never really know. Who really knows what this new owner thinks though? I hope I don't have to come back and eat crow on this one, but I will if I have too.

jballscalls
05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
HRTV said Gomez is going to ride Chocolate Candy and he was kind of the guy waiting in the wings for MTB, so Gary Stevens said he thinks that tips the hat that she's not going and Calvin will go with MTB... but who knows LOL man would it be fun if she ran though!

matthewsiv
05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
I have absolutely no clue if that is a complement or an insult but I have never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer.....

That means that you are pushing my buttons or making fun of me.

Relwob Owner
05-28-2009, 10:34 PM
That means that you are pushing my buttons or making fun of me.

I wasnt trying to do either of those things at all...I see where you can think that about Jackson and was seriously inquiring about if I missed something.....didnt mean to come across as if I was pushing your buttons or making fun at all.....however, I will be stealing the "wind up merchant" phrase if that is OK-I like it!

Run Nicholas Run
05-28-2009, 10:45 PM

i think she will run, they don't have to say anything until its time to enter.

the window's in the las vegas books remain open. maybe someone wants to make sure that she is going to run before plunking down their money @3-1.

she will never be 3-1 at the mutual windows the day of the race, more like 7-5 or less.

after that less than stellar ride in the preakness, the only ones that know how good she really is are her connections and the horse. as far as i know the horse ain't talking.

with the uncertainty of Rach' thats why the tasty 3-1 on her,
but once the word gets out that she will run she will go to the
6-5 range, and with future wagering in nevada all bets go as action.

P.S. Lambo, OVER 8 1/2 wins for the PACKERS in 2009. :cool:

matthewsiv
05-28-2009, 10:50 PM
I wasnt trying to do either of those things at all...I see where you can think that about Jackson and was seriously inquiring about if I missed something.....didnt mean to come across as if I was pushing your buttons or making fun at all.....however, I will be stealing the "wind up merchant" phrase if that is OK-I like it!

Good luck my friend.

That is a good English saying.

Run Nicholas Run
05-28-2009, 10:52 PM
HRTV said Gomez is going to ride Chocolate Candy and he was kind of the guy waiting in the wings for MTB, so Gary Stevens said he thinks that tips the hat that she's not going and Calvin will go with MTB... but who knows LOL man would it be fun if she ran though!

if Rach' does go who gets on the BIRD?
Ramon
Leparoux
Bejarano
Jeremy
Joe Talamo

Mineshaft
05-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Isn't it better for RA to run in the Belmont Stakes[assuming she's 100% healthy]on June 6th instead of keeping her on the track an additional 3 weeks to run in the June 27th Acorn at Belmont,which the connections have said would be the alternative?

Win or lose she comes out of the Belmont,gets a few weeks break regroups,and a mid-summer/fall campaign can be mapped out.
Horses are "now" athletes,plans for them to do later may come to naught,run em when they're going good,who knows what tomorrow brings.

I think a 1 1/2 on that deep track will probably do her in. I would not run her. MTB was closing like a freight train on her in the Preakness.

Relwob Owner
05-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Good luck my friend.

That is a good English saying.

It is....best of luck to you as well.

CincyHorseplayer
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
How about they scratch now and take on Zenyatta when she next runs??Offhand I don't know where.

Spotting her 20 lengths I'm down for a bet even on synthetic!!

Let's do both for the game.Rest RA and have her embarrass Zenyatta with a runaway in the race of her choice!!!

Now that evilness would be great for racing.I'm but a 13 year vet but I say RA runs away???

PS-it would be an easy and great exacta ala Preakness:)

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 12:00 AM
How about they scratch now and take on Zenyatta when she next runs??Offhand I don't know where.

Spotting her 20 lengths I'm down for a bet even on synthetic!!

Let's do both for the game.Rest RA and have her embarrass Zenyatta with a runaway in the race of her choice!!!

Now that evilness would be great for racing.I'm but a 13 year vet but I say RA runs away???

PS-it would be an easy and great exacta ala Preakness:)

You have to be joking if you think RA is mature enough at this point to take on Zenyatta, much less beat her. What are you thinking Man? :bang:

WinterTriangle
05-29-2009, 12:36 AM

In other words, they both are guilty of not dealing honorably with each other.

The concept of revenge is not in the realm of "gentlemanly behaviors", at least not in my book.

Good for him, maybe. Not for me, and not for most people who don't like all this BS going on among the connections of horses. It gives racing a black eye.

Quesmark
05-29-2009, 01:46 AM
I think a 1 1/2 on that deep track will probably do her in. I would not run her. MTB was closing like a freight train on her in the Preakness.If anyone at this point might be done for now it's MTB.Who had the better gallop out past the finish in the Preakness?

MTB's run 2 very big races and maybe over the top,RA's Oaks didn't take too much out of her,and she could have 1 left even after the grueling Preakness win.1 of the fresh new shooters could pose a threat to her,but the pace/trip could be more leisurely and work in RA's favor particularly vs MTB.
If RA passes the Belmont and runs instead in the June 27th Acorn at Belmont,how would that affect the rest of her schedule for the year?
RA runs now in the Belmont,makes history,but is done and never runs again,against what she "might" accomplish in the future,worth it,or not?

rastajenk
05-29-2009, 06:55 AM
It gives racing a black eye. More hooey. It keeps racing in the sports pages, without mentioning drugs or breakdowns or race-fixing or any of that stuff.

Horse racing fans are constantly admiring the popularity of NASCAR, which is not without its off-the-track controversies and rivalries. This Rachel/Bird stuff is tame compared to some of their disputes. We could use more of it.

Part of the Big Brown story last year was Dutrow's big mouth. That was fun stuff, wasn't it?

Pace Cap'n
05-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Why should MTB be denigrated for having better brakes?

Relwob Owner
05-29-2009, 08:03 AM
More hooey. It keeps racing in the sports pages, without mentioning drugs or breakdowns or race-fixing or any of that stuff.

Horse racing fans are constantly admiring the popularity of NASCAR, which is not without its off-the-track controversies and rivalries. This Rachel/Bird stuff is tame compared to some of their disputes. We could use more of it.

Part of the Big Brown story last year was Dutrow's big mouth. That was fun stuff, wasn't it?

All good points.......

I have no idea what Jackson is doing but instead of taking shots at him, I think people should remember that if it wasnt for him, Rachel Alexandra wouldnt have run in the Preakness and wouldnt be considered for the Belmont.....instead, we would all be talking about her running in the Acorn against an overmatched field and wondering how many lengths she would win by.....man, would that be exciting :bang:

Quagmire
05-29-2009, 08:39 AM
All good points.......

I have no idea what Jackson is doing but instead of taking shots at him, I think people should remember that if it wasnt for him, Rachel Alexandra wouldnt have run in the Preakness and wouldnt be considered for the Belmont.....instead, we would all be talking about her running in the Acorn against an overmatched field and wondering how many lengths she would win by.....man, would that be exciting :bang:

That is all true, but we would also be talking about MTB's chances for winning the Triple Crown.

Relwob Owner
05-29-2009, 08:47 AM
That is all true, but we would also be talking about MTB's chances for winning the Triple Crown.

Good point-however, knowing now that RA beat him in the Preakness, I am OK with no Triple Crown for MTB because he is not the best three year old this year .............even if MTB would have won the Triple Crown, there would have been non stop talk of "What if he would have had to face Rachel Alexandra...." More proof to me that bold moves by guys like Jackson(whether people like it or not) are good for racing and eliminate most questions about who could have beaten whom.

Quagmire
05-29-2009, 09:00 AM
As long as people are talking racing and not drugs its all good.

Bruddah
05-29-2009, 10:38 AM
As long as people are talking racing and not drugs its all good.

Amen to that Bruddah!

I do believe the connections to both horses are doing whats best for each animal. Too much reputation, prestiege and future earnings tied to their decisions, not to do so. Because they are doing so and not explaing their day to day decisions leaves a lot of speculation and interpretation by the fans. Most of which is wrong and only serves to fuel debates and interest. Which is ALL GOOD for the sport. If the Sport would take advantage of it.

I think the scenario for the Belmont was made in Heaven. However, the powers to be in racing don't know how to Market it and allows it to just lay there.

You have male, against female. Connections from the top and the bottom of the Sport. A jockey controversey. Crap, just fan the flames a little and you would have more viewers (future fans) for this race than ever. The Marketing media should have the country breathlessly waiting on Jess Jackson's decision. Instead they are waiting for the decision before doing any kind of Marketing. Bunch of farucking dummies.

As my father use to tell me, "You held your ticket until the show was over". Same applies to the Marketing idiots of this Sport.

PaceAdvantage
05-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Considering she was getting closed on in the Preakness, and the Belmont is a longer race, does he really want to see her lose?Is that all there is to handicapping?

Horse A wins by a length +
Horse B is closing on horse A as the race draws to a close =
Horse B wins the next time if race is longer!

How utterly simple! I'll have to incorporate that bit of wisdom into my arsenal.

Saratoga_Mike
05-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Is that all there is to handicapping?

How utterly simple! I'll have to incorporate that bit of wisdom into my arsenal.

Won't ever find out - as she's a no-go for the race - pls see drf.com 6:16 pm posting.

Saratoga_Mike
05-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Opps, I just saw someone scooped DRF.com here an hour ago with the RA news.

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Is that all there is to handicapping?

Naw, we should incorporate the emphasis you put on the "gallup out"...that's what a good handicapper should do. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Naw, we should incorporate the emphasis you put on the "gallup out"...that's what a good handicapper should do. :lol:I betcha it's way more predictive....

DanG
05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Naw, we should incorporate the emphasis you put on the "gallup out"...that's what a good handicapper should do. :lol:
Free TrackMaster column from Steve Davidowitz who has watched a couple races in his day…

Link: http://www.trackmaster.com/retail/steved/sd0509.htm

Quote:

” * For those who believe erroneously that Mine That Bird was going to catch Rachel if the Preakness were a bit longer, go watch the video tape—carefully.

Once Mine That Bird gets within a length of the filly at the wire, she stretches out under her own power to open up three lengths in the gallop out without any serious urging by Borel. He was not going to catch that filly if they were going to go around the track again, twice!”

Of course I probably wouldn’t quote Steve if it didn’t also represent my viewpoint, but just to show that it’s not an outlandish point PA is making although it’s been often characterized like it’s from Mars.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Of course I probably wouldn’t quote Steve if it didn’t also represent my viewpoint, but just to show that it’s not an outlandish point PA is making although it’s been often characterized like it’s from Mars.Of course it's not outlandish as you rightly point out. I'll take it as a supreme compliment that the mighty Steve D. agrees with my point of view...

Like I said, if handicapping were as easy as A+B, we'd all be collecting $2.10.

cj
05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Not that I think he was going to catch her, but it really is irrelevant. They race to the wire, not after it. Gallop outs are pretty useless as future predictors in my opinion.

DanG
05-31-2009, 07:09 PM
I betcha it's way more predictive....
They are especially predictive with horses that contest the pace and often misunderstood with horses that fly late. (See Mr. Hot Stuff) who is a complete nut-job; but will most likely win the Belmont gallop out by 9 miles.

ghostyapper
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Free TrackMaster column from Steve Davidowitz who has watched a couple races in his day…

Link: http://www.trackmaster.com/retail/steved/sd0509.htm

Quote:

Of course I probably wouldn’t quote Steve if it didn’t also represent my viewpoint, but just to show that it’s not an outlandish point PA is making although it’s been often characterized like it’s from Mars.

I completely agree with Mr. Davidowitz. Had they gone around the track again with borel with 1 hand on the rein's and the other smacking Rachels Neck, and Mike Smith with a tight grip on the reins, drifting out into the middle of the track, he wouldn't have caught her :D

joanied
06-01-2009, 02:53 PM
They are especially predictive with horses that contest the pace and often misunderstood with horses that fly late. (See Mr. Hot Stuff) who is a complete nut-job; but will most likely win the Belmont gallop out by 9 miles.

DanG...I love that statement...Mr. Hot Stuff will be on Hempstead Tpike when he finally stops his gallop out:D

As for the Preakness gallop out...IMO, MTB just was not gonna catch RA on that day...regardless...but the Belmont is his to loose!!

WinterTriangle
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Mr. Hot Stuff who is a complete nut-job

I guess this says something about me that I like him so much. :lol:

DanG
06-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Mr. Hot Stuff will be on Hempstead Tpike when he finally stops his gallop out:D

As for the Preakness gallop out...IMO, MTB just was not gonna catch RA on that day...regardless...but the Belmont is his to loose!!
And to show the nuts often don’t fall far from the tree Joan…Mr. Hot Stuff’s much more accomplished brother ‘Colonel John was a gallop out monster himself.

Do you think MTB screams Belmont Joan? He certainly has earned respect, but even with his Birdstone lineage the Belmont always seems more like a galloper’s race to me. Then again; I tried to beat him out of the tri in the Preakness, so what do I know! :blush:

Must be watching too many gallop outs…huh Zapper. :)

DanG
06-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I guess this says something about me that I like him so much. :lol:
It’s no secret WT; Mr. Hot Stuff is one long winded SOB, but as Eoin Harty was quoted as saying…”he is an idiot” :eek: .

A pre-race meltdown would certainly be his MO in front of 40,000+ screaming New Yorkers, but who knows…their still teenagers and the light bulb can come on out of the blue.

joanied
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
And to show the nuts often don’t fall far from the tree Joan…Mr. Hot Stuff’s much more accomplished brother ‘Colonel John was a gallop out monster himself.

Do you think MTB screams Belmont Joan? He certainly has earned respect, but even with his Birdstone lineage the Belmont always seems more like a galloper’s race to me. Then again; I tried to beat him out of the tri in the Preakness, so what do I know! :blush:

Must be watching too many gallop outs…huh Zapper. :)

Geeze, I had forgotten all about Col. John being his full brother...guess it does run in the family:D ...it'll be interesting to see how Mr. Hot Stuff handels himself...with the gate right in front of the grandstand...we might see quite a show from him...or...maybe that light bulb will go off.
It seems like a closer would always win a race like the Belmont...but it's been won in so many ways, who knows...I don't :bang: ...
but, I love MTB in here...but, I still need to get into the entries and decide on my picks...how about you, DanG?

Winter Triangle...:D tha's funny about why you like Mr. Hot Stuff...watch this nut case break like a crazy horse and go wire to wire:eek: ...demons are chasing him:D

DanG
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Joan,

I’m always impressed when people can pick races this far out. I guess I don’t have their imagination, but I need all the dope in front of me and the tote board going tilt to make sense of it. This far out it seems like Charitable Man’s race to lose; but I need to see Dunkirk to see if he has put the flesh back on he lost before the Derby. I couldn’t really tell from the brief NYRA workout video.

I will say NYRA and network TV should be on their knees thanking MTB for showing up. Not to mention Calvin handing them a good marketing tool declaring “they will win it…no doubt” if they choose to use it.

rgustafson
06-02-2009, 12:48 PM
It’s no secret WT; Mr. Hot Stuff is one long winded SOB, but as Eoin Harty was quoted as saying…”he is an idiot” :eek: .

A pre-race meltdown would certainly be his MO in front of 40,000+ screaming New Yorkers, but who knows…their still teenagers and the light bulb can come on out of the blue.

DanG, love your somewhat snide allusion to "40,000+ screaming New Yorkers."

joanied
06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Joan,

I’m always impressed when people can pick races this far out. I guess I don’t have their imagination, but I need all the dope in front of me and the tote board going tilt to make sense of it. This far out it seems like Charitable Man’s race to lose; but I need to see Dunkirk to see if he has put the flesh back on he lost before the Derby. I couldn’t really tell from the brief NYRA workout video.

I will say NYRA and network TV should be on their knees thanking MTB for showing up. Not to mention Calvin handing them a good marketing tool declaring “they will win it…no doubt” if they choose to use it.

Sometimes you can make your picks a week out...I always seem to wait, unless there is a certain horse I feel really strong about...
I agree about Charitable Man...same goes for MTB, IMO. I need to find all the latest work out videos and check each horse, with some excpeptions...like the Lukas horse 'Luv Guv'...he's got to be kidding...
yep...if Woolley had decided not to run, Belmont would suffer greatly...and I hope they use Calvin's call to their advertising advantage...like back when Joe Namath called the SuperBowl (and made me a football fan for life).

I'll be posting my picks sometime before Saturday:lol:

onefast99
06-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Not that I think he was going to catch her, but it really is irrelevant. They race to the wire, not after it. Gallop outs are pretty useless as future predictors in my opinion.
I have caught a few this year at GP who galloped out and were easy winners next time out. I would pay closer attention to the gallop out!

Bettowin
06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I have caught a few this year at GP who galloped out and were easy winners next time out. I would pay closer attention to the gallop out!

Agree so much. Had a couple of friends at the local bush track Saturday and was teaching them what win, place and show meant versus exacta and trifecta when a 4 furlong race finished and they wanted to go get a beer. I told them to wait and watch how the horses came back to us. All the horses except for 2 stopped shortly after the turn and came back while the 2 that kept running really kept running to the far turn. (3/4 mile track)

Finally the 2 quit racing each other to the far turn and came back. They weren't breathing any harder and were actually in better shape than most that stopped abruptly after the race. Didn't take them long to understand that in their next race back those were the two to bet:)

I have them tabbed and chances are they will be running next in a 6 furlong race:)