PDA

View Full Version : Show Bets on Horses 2-1 or lower

Paulieballgame
05-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Might be a stupid question, but trying to learn. What is the reason in which alot of you to say to use the show bet on horses 2-1 or lower. Or am i just reading something wrong. Thanks in advance.

andymays
05-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Paulie, if you're betting 2-1 shots to show then go to the nearest bridge and jump. I'll light a candle for you the next time I go to Church.

Paulieballgame
05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
this is from TURFEPEDIA:
There is a time for place and show betting.

When horses that have a 50% chance or greater to win are odds-on choices, bets to place and show make sense. These horses are frequently overbet (underlays) to win, but underbet (overlays) to place and show.

If an upset occurs, or the odds-on horse experiences a mishap in the running and finishes 2nd or 3rd, the handicapper still collects. And the payoffs will not be significantly smaller than the win payoffs.

ryesteve
05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Might be a stupid question, but trying to learn. What is the reason in which alot of you to say to use the show bet on horses 2-1 or lower. Or am i just reading something wrong. Thanks in advance.
The quote you cited is talking about horses at even money or less, not 2/1 or less. And I would say that while their advice on place betting is accurate, their advice on show betting is not.

Paulieballgame
05-28-2009, 01:02 PM
thanks guys. Like i said didnt make sense to me, but i was reading it wrong. And wouldnt mind a prayer at church. :)

46zilzal
05-28-2009, 01:27 PM
IF you have the patience and the skill AND CAN FIND THOSE TRACKS WHERE THE CROWD IS BLINDED by win and exotics, you can, ON OCCASION, find outrageous pools that pay 6.20 to win and 4.00 to show. Happens at our harness track at least twice in a 12 race card.

The days of Dr. Ziembia's secret show bets are nearly over with commingled pools from hubs coming in in pulses hiding them.

Bettowin
05-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I like to find entries that look strong at small tracks. A place bet is the way to go because if they finish 1-2 the place payoff is usually more than the win. Doesn't happen very often but when you can find them it's very nice:) Bush tracks is usually where I catch them.

Jake
05-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I like to find entries that look strong at small tracks. A place bet is the way to go because if they finish 1-2 the place payoff is usually more than the win. Doesn't happen very often but when you can find them it's very nice:) Bush tracks is usually where I catch them.

Good advice. Small tracks still sometimes have skewed place and show pools. Most likely when it is a horse that looks to wire or die, so win pool may be overbet and the place and show pools underbet.

Jake

strapper
05-29-2009, 10:00 AM
If a horse is 2-1 or less don't look to the show pool unless there is a glaring void in the three hole. The payoffs on those are usually just too small.

BUD
05-29-2009, 12:42 PM
would you risk 2bucks for 20cents?--
2/1 or less I don't like the risk vs reward in the win wager either---Unless--That rare occasionhappens to be---& that rare ocassion escapes me---

If your in a P4 or P6 and your horse gets hammered down that is one thing---But as I said for me its value and risk vs reward--

ok I hav 10 min to napp

Robert Fischer
05-29-2009, 12:56 PM
show pool inefficiencies do happen, but as in a lot of markets (such as real estate) with this type of economy, there is a bidding war at the bottom of the market. 10s to 1000s of other dollars are bidding for the same inefficiencies as you in the final flashes. It can be hard to estimate, especially recently.

FlyinLate
05-29-2009, 01:30 PM
The above posters are right. Pay close attention to the pools and make your wagers accordingly. If the favorite has 50% of the win money on him, but only 30% of the place money, the smarter bet is to bet to place IMO. Same logic with show wagering. You have to factor in the odds YOU think the horse has to w/p/s.

fmolf
05-29-2009, 01:43 PM
i follow the nyra circuit and this happens quite some if you know what to look for.very often one half of the entry is a speed horse the other a closer who sometimes can get up for second ...or the speed fades as the closer wins.....once in awhile their will even be two speed horses that last ... have to be patient and picky but it does happen and money can be made