PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Card: 5-28-09

Onion Monster
05-27-2009, 07:03 PM
I bitched about the lack of quality fields back when the rains forced them off the turf, but tomorrow's early card looks interesting.

The first three races give us three false favorites:

Race 1: State-bred allowance on the turf at 7 furlongs

The morning line favorite is a dirt horse, Groomedforvictory, with good connections but little turf breeding. He could win, but there are other horses with good current turf form (Remarkable Storm, Zip to the City and Urban Flight) or good turf class (Extra Zip and Gold Vendetta). And for you Prime Power players, Stormy Success, the second ranked horse, is a juicy 30-1 on the ML. I'm guessing Bris has overvalued his distant third finish to Banrock in the Kingston. I'll pass (that race was a walk in the park for the winner after two dirt-to-turf horses took to the grass like a fish to sand).

Race 2: Dirt Claimer for nw2l or 3 year olds at 6 furlongs

Moose Man, a mid-Atlantic shipper, sojourns in to take on a field loaded with speed. If Dark Ops can still run (claimed two back from Asmussen), Rodriguez will gun him. Geno Green is pretty quick and now has a hustling jock too. Moose Man has the connections to draw money (Dominguez for Klesaris), but he's a risky proposition at 2-1 with all of the speed closer to the rail and questionable New York form.

Race 3: Starters Allowance for fillies at 6 furlongs on the dirt

Slam the Cat won by over 40 yards last time out and I'll still let her beat me if she remains the favorite at post time. She's taking a huge leap in class from a 35k Maiden Claimer that was taken off the turf to this allowance spot. That 99 Bris speed figure will take some action, although I'm guessing some of the Sheets/Thorograph guys will be expecting a bounce/regression, but to me this is all about class and relative field strength.