PDA

View Full Version : Bill Would Grant President Unprecedented Cyber-security Powers

riskman
05-27-2009, 06:24 PM
The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 introduced in the Senate would allow the president to shut down private Internet networks. The legislation also calls for the government to have the authority to demand security data from private networks without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule or policy restricting such access.

I ran into this article today. Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.)and Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) co sponsored this bill in April of this year.

I am surprised that I have not read much about this legislation.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Bill-Grants-President-Unprecedented-Cyber-Security-Powers-504520/

boxcar
05-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Not surprising. BO wants to eventually go the way of our British cousins. Cute. Thank God for anonymous and encrypted email services! It's so comforting to have a Big, caring, compassionate Brother watching over me. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I thought the presidency had TOO MUCH power. Isn't that what Democrats have been telling us all along? And now that Bush/Cheney are gone, they want to give the president even MORE power?

I'm afraid I'm confused by this. Would anyone else like to reconcile this for me?

JustRalph
05-27-2009, 08:48 PM
God forbid a computer at NSA eavesdrop on phone calls.

But the Dems don't make a bit of noise over the most popular form of communication in the whole damn world.

LottaKash
05-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Hail to the Chief.....Did you get your "Magic Jack" yet ?

best,

mostpost
05-27-2009, 09:40 PM
I thought we had a discussion on this earlier, but I can't find it. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Tom
05-27-2009, 10:09 PM
The Web Czar deleted it. :lol:

slewis
05-28-2009, 12:03 AM
I thought the presidency had TOO MUCH power. Isn't that what Democrats have been telling us all along? And now that Bush/Cheney are gone, they want to give the president even MORE power?

I'm afraid I'm confused by this. Would anyone else like to reconcile this for me?

I knew there would be ramifications over that crack I made about the USA being the laughing stock of the world.

Now he's gaining the ability to shut down my favorite venting outlet.

Like having my phone tapped wasn't enough.

All in the name of National Security.

BO..you bastard.