PDA

View Full Version : What columnists do you read?

CBedo
05-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Just wondering what horse racing newspaper columnists you guys (and gals) read? A freind of mine asked me what columnists were online, and after telling him Beyer @ Washington Post, the columnists at ESPN, BRIS, Bloodstock & DRF, I didn't really know who the best columnistts were on specific circuits (or nationally)

So, who do you read (columns or blogs)?

Cangamble
05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Finley, Beyer, Paulick, Pricci, I can go on.

Imriledup
05-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I read everything that seems interesting regardless of columnist.

CBedo
05-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I read everything that seems interesting regardless of columnist.
thanks for the help! j/k

matthewsiv
05-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Paulick

Equidaily

PA

Racing Post

Bloodhorse

Paris Turf

Irish Field

Thoroughbred Times daily fax

Indian Charlie

BUD
05-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Great thread-----Yes Its How I Learn---The Old Rail Bird was my starting point--

Mr CanGamble
Hana
Handride
Superfecta
I read a lot by Ernie Munich
At the Gate? or something close to that.
Miss Mary Forney who is just a Plethora of info--
I am on FB--& somehow some women on there included me as a friend-Wow Are they smart---
Are Own Bombs away-
Big John from Philly.
The fella who does the radio show thursday--
Chalk Eating Weasal--Which he is no wesal--
I could go on an name so many more--Listen to Mr Byk--Its words
Jessica Chapels other ventures..
Honestly I could copy the TBA blog and all the writers in there--I use this place the same way----Dan G----Superfecta Mike--Slewis
I do say that this is better than many books---it is--it took me some time to learn how to read it--I am still learning But Mike put this place together so fine----He could charge--Plz don't mike---Enough of the in Horse Racing--- Sometimes we are looking here there--And there is unreal stuff at our finger tips----

Ok ViC S
The Boom Man-
When I first got here I could even find the post it was my intro--CJ sire said listen to my Son---I have Never Forgotten that--I have never had a Convo with CJ but I sure listen----
The Little Guy---Or As the Book I am read Little Andy Serling---That just cracks me up---I could go on--For any I missed I am sorry----Oh-I will say this--There was a poster here--He isa poster here no more--He would shoot me if I dropped his name---There is incredible greatness here past & present--I'm just a retires disabled cop trying to wade thru it----No SP # its going to be a mess---
sorry--

Imriledup
05-27-2009, 08:11 PM
I like the writers that aren't afraid to dig up some dirt.

beertapper
05-27-2009, 09:21 PM
paulick, cangamble

long live blog reporting...

Cubbymac26
05-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Ray kerrison from the new York post is strong I'm young so I don't remember his columns from back in the day but he's not afraid to hammer other writers tracks or trainers for doing the wrong things...always make sense to bad he only writes now during triple crown series, breeders cup haskell and travers anybody else recognize his work

bishlap
05-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Ray kerrison from the new York post is strong I'm young so I don't remember his columns from back in the day but he's not afraid to hammer other writers tracks or trainers for doing the wrong things...always make sense to bad he only writes now during triple crown series, breeders cup haskell and travers anybody else recognize his workI like Ray Kerrison too, but he's only active around Triple crown BC time. Ed Fountaine in the Post has a nice paragraph or two after each card, usually a rant against NYRA, but, informative nonetheless. Other than that, and here, of course, I try to avoid "handicapping" columns - don't wanna be swayed by others' opinions, I can win/lose all on my own, TYVM. Oh, I do read Steve Davidowitz ALL the time, the best "horse-Man" in the business!

andymays
05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I believe we have a couple of Posters here that would do a better job than a lot of these guys in the Media.

Dan G comes to mind!

LottaKash
05-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I always enjoy the thought provoking articles that Mark Cramer provides for Youbet.com....Wish there were more of them.....The guy is simply full of "brain food".....I love his simplistic approach to the game....:cool:

The "Kinkster" for president......:jump:

best,

46zilzal
05-28-2009, 01:23 PM
I believe we have a couple of Posters here that would do a better job than a lot of these guys in the Media.

Dan G comes to mind!
I agree and this gentlemen is one of them. The DRF guys are too set in their traditional ways of looking at races and rarely look at pace scenarios as the majority of our evaluations consider.

46zilzal
05-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I always enjoy the thought provoking articles that Mark Cramer provides for Youbet.com....Wish there were more of them.....The guy is simply full of "brain food".....I love his simplistic approach to the game....:cool:

Both he and Malcolm Gladwell changed the way I look at races and streamlined the process to what is going to happen in today's contest and NOTHING ELSE. Horses not connections.

DanG
05-28-2009, 02:44 PM
My earliest recollection is Russ Harris who was calling for an overnight tarp on the turf course to save some grass races almost 4 decades ago…and we are still waiting.

Beyer is the gold standard of turf writer’s imo; because not only is he passionate about his subject…but he is a GREAT writer. He could have branched into any facet of literature and excelled. Crist is also a very gifted writer; especially when he focuses nationally instead of regionally.

To my eyes the best modern day handicapping writer isn’t even 'technically published and that’s Ken Massa of HTR through his newsletters. There is years of brilliance in those works and most are free to the public.

Wow…I can’t believe I’m even allowed to write here much less have someone enjoy my nonsense… :blush: thanks very much to Bud, Andy and 46 for their kind (undeserved) words and the feeling is mutual.

strapper
05-29-2009, 09:56 AM
I read all the editorial content in the DRF, especially Hovdey's column. I check out Beyer at Washington Post from time to time.

Cratos
05-29-2009, 11:58 AM
My earliest recollection is Russ Harris who was calling for an overnight tarp on the turf course to save some grass races almost 4 decades ago…and we are still waiting.

Beyer is the gold standard of turf writer’s imo; because not only is he passionate about his subject…but he is a GREAT writer. He could have branched into any facet of literature and excelled. Crist is also a very gifted writer; especially when he focuses nationally instead of regionally.

To my eyes the best modern day handicapping writer isn’t even 'technically published and that’s Ken Massa of HTR through his newsletters. There is years of brilliance in those works and most are free to the public.

Wow…I can’t believe I’m even allowed to write here much less have someone enjoy my nonsense… :blush: thanks very much to Bud, Andy and 46 for their kind (undeserved) words and the feeling is mutual.

Dan,

Did you ever read articles by Charlie Hatton, Red Smith, or Jim Murray? They wasn’t gold; they were platinum.

DanG
05-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Dan,

Did you ever read articles by Charlie Hatton, Red Smith, or Jim Murray? They wasn’t gold; they were platinum.
All great; no doubt…especially Murray who really stood out in my mind. I hate to list people, because inevitably it just leaves people out. I separated Beyer because he is one of the few who often writes from a player’s perspective.

Cratos
05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
All great; no doubt…especially Murray who really stood out in my mind. I hate to list people, because inevitably it just leaves people out. I separated Beyer because he is one of the few who often writes from a player’s perspective.

Dan, I like Andrew Beyer better as an author than as columnist although he is good at both, but I make that choice differentiation because I feel that in his books he becomes the horseplayer telling the story whereas in his columns he is just the reporter with a story.

JohnGalt1
05-30-2009, 07:43 AM
At ESPN--Cronley.

All at Incisive Horse Racing.