PDA

View Full Version : Larry Jones

peakpros
05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
I usually don't have any rooting interest in trainers but I really feel good when he does well.

Won two stakes at mth this weekend and he is as nice a guy as you will find in the back stretch.

Does all the work himself; I'm told. Even vanning the horses.

Just a great guy.

toussaud
05-26-2009, 07:18 PM
1 grade 1 win between

eight belles
hard spun
freisen fire
old fashioned

how?

peakpros
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
1 grade 1 win between

eight belles
hard spun
freisen fire
old fashioned

how?

Eight belles only ran in 1 grade one race and finished second...

hard spun ran in 6 grade I's and was 1-3-1 and won the only one he was favored in...ran second in the BC...

FF has run poorly in two grade 1...why are you even listing him with the others?

Old fashion has not run in any grade ones and may have distance limitations.

what's your point?

Seems to me to do very well with the stock he has

21% win trainer over the past five years....he does it day in and day out.

FenceBored
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
1 grade 1 win between

eight belles
hard spun
freisen fire
old fashioned

how?

He winters at the Fairgrounds and Oaklawn. Oaklawn has one G1 (the Apple Blossom), and Fairgrounds has none.

Hard Spun ran well in G1 company, but maybe they should have focused more on sprints?

toussaud
05-26-2009, 07:57 PM
just playin devil's advocate

onefast99
05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I usually don't have any rooting interest in trainers but I really feel good when he does well.

Won two stakes at mth this weekend and he is as nice a guy as you will find in the back stretch.

Does all the work himself; I'm told. Even vanning the horses.

Just a great guy.
He is bringing FF to the Haskell, he may be a real nice guy and the hands on everything approach is ok by me but FF doesn't belong in the Haskell that horse needs to be freshened up on a nice farm until the fall.

peakpros
05-26-2009, 09:06 PM
He is bringing FF to the Haskell, he may be a real nice guy and the hands on everything approach is ok by me but FF doesn't belong in the Haskell that horse needs to be freshened up on a nice farm until the fall.

....larry will run him if he's ready...but I question if be belongs even if ready.

Loserdave
05-28-2009, 05:08 PM
If Hard Spun had been kept in sprints he would have won some races, but what is wrong with running second in million dollar races compared with winning some hundred thousand dollar sprints. Not to mention how much the owners made on him selling him as a stud prospect. I doubt the owners would complain at all about running Hard Spun in longer races.

DeanT
05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I Curlin does not get over the MTH slop and if Borel gets shut off in the Derby, HS wins both the Classic and the Derby. If's yes, but if your horse can win two of the biggest races in the world with a little luck, he belongs.

Bruddah
05-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Larry Jones and his wife are fabulous people. They are truly the down to earth "Salt" of horse racing. They have worked their proverbial a$$e$ off over the years and enjoyed some success, because of their hard work and dedication to the Sport.

I wish them both Health and Happiness. May they enjoy their semi-retirement and be succesful at a smaller, less stressful and time consuming scale. :ThmbUp:

rastajenk
05-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I thought highly of his participation in the discussion during last year's Belmont, I think it was. He would be a nice addition to a TV crew covering a race, maybe give Jerry or Gary the boot. I like them both, but they have nothing new to say anymore.