PDA

View Full Version : Anybody catch Obama's slip up?

JustRalph
05-26-2009, 11:55 AM
In his speech today announcing the Supreme Ct Nominee

he made a screw up that if Bush had said it..........would be all over the Television tonight............

I bet nobody mentions it............

ArlJim78
05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
didn't catch it. did he refer to his Defense secretary as Bill Gates again?

Tom
05-26-2009, 12:48 PM
His nomination may be a major slip up. At a speech at Duke, she revealed that she believes the appellate court is where policy is created. Scary thought. Obviously, she is not in tune with the law.

Justice is blindfolded to ensure no bias exists and wars a robe to cloak it from political ties. Empathy has no place on the bench. The bench is only for laws, not feelings. One has to wonder if she is the best available jurist or the best available female, Hispanic, liberal jurist.

One thing for sure, she will get a fair hearing from the repubs, something the dems seldom did. I will reserve final judgment until she answers questions, again, a new experience for libs. :rolleyes:

But here we go again, this is another "extremely urgent" appointment that HAS to done on a timetable. what is it with Obama- everything is an emergency. Seeing how this is a lifetime appointment, and everything else he hurried through has failed, this one should be given as long as it takes to get it right. Unless, of course, the objective is just to sit a female Hispanic liberal.

chickenhead
05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I caught it though I wasn't even really listening but it caught my attention out of the corner of my ear...he put an "in" or an "un" if front of something on accident...turning it from a compliment into a slam. Like "inconsequential career", tho that wasn't it.

Tom
05-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Remember the slip up Clinton's Mom made?

She was trying to call Bill and Al Gore "workaholics" but it came "...two young alcoholics!" :lol:

exactaplayer
05-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Here is the complete quote that Tom has parsed.
"All of the legal defense funds out there, they are looking for people with court of appeals experience because the court of appeals is where policy is made," she said, laughing a bit through the next part: "And I know this is on tape and I should never say that because we don't make law. I know. Okay, I know. I'm not promoting it. I'm not advocating it. I know."

Lefty
05-26-2009, 03:24 PM
exacta, I heard it and she meant it. With the laughter she was telling her followers she meant every word. It was kidding on the square. You could almost see her wink. And I heard it on the radio. Another liberal nut that will make law instead of upholding the Constitution.

Tom
05-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Exactly, player!:D

cj's dad
05-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Don't you get it ?

B Husssein O didn't foul up, it was that damn teleprompter.:bang:

JustRalph
05-26-2009, 04:48 PM
"Of the many responsibilities granted to a president by our Constitution, few are more serious or more consequential than selecting a Supreme Court justice. The members of our highest court are granted life tenure, often serving long after the presidents who appointed them. And they are charged with the vital task of applying principles put to paper more than 20 centuries ago to some of the most difficult questions of our time."

jballscalls
05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
i dont think they started ragging on bush until he had been butchering the language for atleast a year or two of the presidency.

i have no problem with a president who uses a teleprompter. i have a problem if the president can't read it though

mostpost
05-26-2009, 06:31 PM
"Of the many responsibilities granted to a president by our Constitution, few are more serious or more consequential than selecting a Supreme Court justice. The members of our highest court are granted life tenure, often serving long after the presidents who appointed them. And they are charged with the vital task of applying principles put to paper more than 20 centuries ago to some of the most difficult questions of our time."

"More than twenty centuries ago" is not incorrect. The Principles contained in our Constitution were not original to that document. They were based on Priciples won by the nobles in tha Magna Carta. Further many of the Principles and systems of our legal system can be traced back to Roman Law. The first written codification of Roman Law is called the Law of the Twelve Tables it was written in the fifth century BC.

Even now many of our legal terms are in Latin; stare decisis; habeous Corpus.

I don't know if Obama misspoke. I tried to find the original as provided on the teleprompter, but could only find a transcript of the actual remarks.

It cannot be said that the phrase "More than twenty centuries ago" is historically incorrect.

delayjf
05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
i dont think they started ragging on bush until he had been butchering the language for atleast a year or two of the presidency.

I can recall it during the election.

It cannot be said that the phrase "More than twenty centuries ago" is historically incorrect.

Well that would certainly be in line with some Justices who believe they could base a ruling on international law. But WRTthe Supreme Court, obviously they have not been interpreting the Constitution for 20 centuries. If he was intending to frame his remarks from a global historical perspective as you suggest, it went right over everyones head.

Lefty
05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
When Bush misspoke, the libs on this board rushed to the keyboards to excoriate him. When obama misspeaks, these same libs rush to their keyboards to defend him. :ThmbDown: To you hypocrites, every one of you.

jballscalls
05-26-2009, 08:05 PM
I can recall it during the election.

head.

i didnt even know the internet was around in 2000!! LOL i thought al gore invented it sometime during the election

Boris
05-26-2009, 08:24 PM
"More than twenty centuries ago" is not incorrect. The Principles contained in our Constitution were not original to that document. They were based on Priciples won by the nobles in tha Magna Carta. Further many of the Principles and systems of our legal system can be traced back to Roman Law. The first written codification of Roman Law is called the Law of the Twelve Tables it was written in the fifth century BC.

I don't know if Obama misspoke. I tried to find the original as provided on the teleprompter, but could only find a transcript of the actual remarks.

Did you hurt your ass pulling that one out? :lol:

Here's how our friends at Daily Koz are spinning it.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/5/26/113326/490

Most think (wait for it)

So it's pretty clear that President Obama merely misspoke and said "century" when he meant "decade".

They are reducing Obama to the level of GW. Priceless.

mostpost
05-26-2009, 09:28 PM
If he was intending to frame his remarks from a global historical perspective as you suggest, it went right over everyones head.
I thought of it the minute he said it. No, that's a complete lie :liar: I didn't even notice.

I just put that out as a possible explanation. I even said in my orignal that he may have just misspoke. I'm quite sure Obama knows the USA isn't 20 centuries old.

JustRalph
05-26-2009, 09:37 PM

I knew somebody would pull this shit out ............ :lol:

mostpost
05-26-2009, 09:48 PM
i didnt even know the internet was around in 2000!! LOL i thought al gore invented it sometime during the election
I KNOW that you know, that Al Gore never said he invented the internet. The Know Nothings, I mean the Republicans deliberately misinterpreted remarks he made on a March 9, 1999 interview with Wolf Blitzer. Of course most people never bother to check things out. What Gore said was that he "Took the initiative in creating the internet. The fact is AL Gore was responsible for sponsoring or supporting much of the legislation and research that allowed the military precursor to the internet to bcome what it is today.

The following is from Vint Cerf who actually is known as the "Father Of The Internet."
http://web.archive.org/web/20000125065813/http://www.mids.org/mn/904/vcerf.html

dav4463
05-26-2009, 11:05 PM
I thought of it the minute he said it. No, that's a complete lie :liar: I didn't even notice.

I just put that out as a possible explanation. I even said in my orignal that he may have just misspoke. I'm quite sure Obama knows the USA isn't 20 centuries old.

Are you sure? He thinks we have 57 states!

boxcar
05-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Are you sure? He thinks we have 57 states!

:lol: :lol: :ThmbUp: He must have had Heinz 57 Ketchup on the brain when he "misspoke" that one. Maybe he's addicted to the stuff or something and missed his daily quota. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

rastajenk
05-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Like Red Pollard says in Seabiscuit, "Everything gets larger in the retelling."

kenwoodallpromos
05-27-2009, 02:51 AM
exacta, I heard it and she meant it. With the laughter she was telling her followers she meant every word. It was kidding on the square. You could almost see her wink. And I heard it on the radio. Another liberal nut that will make law instead of upholding the Constitution.
Maybe she said it because appellate courts set precedent, and very few of those decisions go on to the US Supremes.

boxcar
05-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Maybe she said it because appellate courts set precedent, and very few of those decisions go on to the US Supremes.

...the 9th Circus being a major exception, of course. :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

Tom
05-27-2009, 07:39 AM
The following is from Vint Cerf who actually is known as the "Father Of The Internet."

You sure it wasn't BENNETT Cerf? :lol:

mostpost
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
You sure it wasn't BENNETT Cerf? :lol:
I'm way too young to remenber Bennett Cerf and Dorothy Kilgallon on What's My Line. :rolleyes: :liar: :liar: :rolleyes:

cj's dad
05-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Bess Myerson ? and Gary Moore ? or were they on I've Got a Secret !!

Just a thought, I sure wish that I've Got A Secret would have been around to have had Monica Lewinsky as a guest !!

Tom
05-27-2009, 09:05 PM
$5 down, we go to Kitty Carlisle.

ArlJim78
05-27-2009, 09:16 PM
As a kid I thought Dorothy Killgallen was pretty hot.

46zilzal
05-27-2009, 09:18 PM
As a kid I thought Dorothy Killgallen was pretty hot.
No chin that I could ever find.

Tom
05-27-2009, 09:35 PM
The gang......