PDA

View Full Version : Good Vacation Tracks

connorsmom
05-25-2009, 06:33 PM
I see where Yavapai Downs and Arapahoe Park are once again running. My husband and I had grand times visiting both of those establishments. They were fairly newly built when we attended and clean as a whistle. While in Arizona we took in the nearby town of Prescott where the original track had been located for many years. There were some neat antique stores in that city if I recall. Of course Arapahoe is in the suburbs of Denver out on the prairie. A very pleasant discovery while staying in the Rocky Mountain National Park.

Run Nicholas Run
05-25-2009, 07:25 PM
For myself I like going to Yavapai , and the 'zona fairs also.
I do like the state of 'zona.

If in eastern northern Nevada in late August you can visit the
fairs at Ely and Elko. Elko is actually some decent races sadly
Ely is not.

fmolf
05-25-2009, 10:11 PM
I see where Yavapai Downs and Arapahoe Park are once again running. My husband and I had grand times visiting both of those establishments. They were fairly newly built when we attended and clean as a whistle. While in Arizona we took in the nearby town of Prescott where the original track had been located for many years. There were some neat antique stores in that city if I recall. Of course Arapahoe is in the suburbs of Denver out on the prairie. A very pleasant discovery while staying in the Rocky Mountain National Park.
saratoga is the best...up in the mountains....golf course next door.....lakes for fishing...top notch restaurants....and the best race meet in the country..

The Hawk
05-26-2009, 07:28 AM
NOTHING is better than Del Mar. Weather wise, it's such a lovely day... :)

Plus the most beautiful women, great racing, scenic views, the beach, the restaurants...

rastajenk
05-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Fair Grounds in N'Awlins has to be on the list, if good food, good music, and general bawdiness are on the list of vacation goals.

Bruddah
05-26-2009, 08:41 AM
saratoga is the best...up in the mountains....golf course next door.....lakes for fishing...top notch restaurants....and the best race meet in the country..

When I read your post, I thought you were going to type OAKLAWN, for all the reasons you mention for Saratoga. I suppose, I will defer to your post because Oaklawn is referred to as the SARATOGA of the South and not the the other way around. Close race in my opinion. Two very fine boutique meets held at different times of the year.

10 years ago I would have added Delmar but that meet has really gone down to a below average meet. (JMHO)

Bettowin
05-26-2009, 11:43 AM
When I read your post, I thought you were going to type OAKLAWN, for all the reasons you mention for Saratoga. I suppose, I will defer to your post because Oaklawn is referred to as the SARATOGA of the South and not the the other way around. Close race in my opinion. Two very fine boutique meets held at different times of the year.

10 years ago I would have added Delmar but that meet has really gone down to a below average meet. (JMHO)

I love Oaklawn but the weather is so unpredictable, or I should probably say predictable. Rain and wind:)

MzDucat
06-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Gotta agree with fmolf. But you forgot about the hottie college girls who only work a couple of seasons for school money, the huge choice of betting experiences (one day you can be betting near the backstretch guys, the next with the swells) and the place is big enough you can duck the borrowers who know you probably made a score. Every bay is a different dynamic so plenty of variety to change up your luck and find your personal betting groove. Most fun I ever had with my clothes on.

deathandgravity
06-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Flemington! :ThmbUp:

onefast99
06-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Monmouth Park, for whatever reason this year the track looks the best it has ever looked in the past 10.

MzDucat
06-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Love Monmouth Park too. It has a life of its own. Love the clerks, too.

Many of our friends like Tampa Bay. Didn't like the Gulfstream makeover.
They say you can't even overlook the track from any of the betting areas.
Like they were trying to train the bettors to think of everything as a simulcast parlor. Wouldn't be surprised to find that it's true. Management guys spend more time managing the public than pleasing them.

Keeneland was a nice meet this year.