PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Political Slant

Warren Henry
05-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I am curious about how the Vets stack up as far as political leanings and whether or not military service has anything to do with the slant. As you can tell, I tilt to the right.

I was raised by a right leaning father and a left leaning mother. Things I learned about myself and responsibility while in the military had some influence in the way I lean. I have two siblings. One who leans far left was not in the military. The other was in the military, but his slant is unknown to me.

newtothegame
05-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I have served in the military but am not considered a "vet". I have two left leaning parents and I lean right. Needless to say, dinner conversations used to be interesting lol:lol:

Warren Henry
05-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I have served in the military but am not considered a "vet". I have two left leaning parents and I lean right. Needless to say, dinner conversations used to be interesting lol:lol:

You don't have to have served in a war zone or even in a time of war to be a veteran. If you were in the military, you should be considered a vet (unless you parted with the military under less than optimum conditions).

Did you ever win any points in the dinner discussions?

Overlay
05-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I classified myself as a non-veteran, since I never served in the uniformed military, although I've worked as a civilian (Civil Service) employee of the Army since 1978.

riskman
05-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I am a Viet combat vet. My answer was "I don't lean".
G. K. Chesterton said --"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"

Seems to be the way.

chickenhead
05-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm a hunchback. I lean forward.

And not a Vet.

BlueShoe
05-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Veterans,past,recent,and active duty military mostly are right of center.Conservatives in the armed forces tend to be more patriotic, focused and perform better than liberals.Leftists that enlist often have ulterior motives for joining,and spend their hitch bitchin and screwing up.This was particularlly so during war time and/or there was a draft.

newtothegame
05-25-2009, 11:57 PM
You don't have to have served in a war zone or even in a time of war to be a veteran. If you were in the military, you should be considered a vet (unless you parted with the military under less than optimum conditions).

Did you ever win any points in the dinner discussions?

Ummm...nahhh...Pops usually just said "pass the damn potatoes" and that wound up usually being the end of whatever conversation.
The reason I don't claim to be a "vet" is not a veteran of a WAR. Although I did serve all my time honorably and recieved honorable upon discharge. So, yes it was all under optimum conditions.

mostpost
05-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Ummm...nahhh...Pops usually just said "pass the damn potatoes" and that wound up usually being the end of whatever conversation.
The reason I don't claim to be a "vet" is not a veteran of a WAR. Although I did serve all my time honorably and recieved honorable upon discharge. So, yes it was all under optimum conditions.

You're selling yourself short. You are definitely a Vet. Thank You for your service. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

mostpost
05-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Veterans,past,recent,and active duty military mostly are right of center.Conservatives in the armed forces tend to be more patriotic, focused and perform better than liberals.Leftists that enlist often have ulterior motives for joining,and spend their hitch bitchin and screwing up.This was particularlly so during war time and/or there was a draft.

What utter Rubbish. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

NJ Stinks
05-26-2009, 12:47 AM
What utter Rubbish. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

I was thinking 'drivel' when I read it, Mostpost. :rolleyes:

46zilzal
05-26-2009, 12:49 AM
I was thinking 'drivel' when I read it, Mostpost. :rolleyes:
Isn't it amazing that to them, the ENTIRE world is simply Black and White.

Warren Henry
05-26-2009, 01:44 AM
You're selling yourself short. You are definitely a Vet. Thank You for your service. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

This is one post where I think you are Spot On.

Dave Schwartz
05-26-2009, 02:03 AM

You showed up, you did your duty. You are a veteran.

Thank you.

newtothegame
05-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Guys and Gals (if appropriate)....
I do appreciate your thanks but, trust me, I did nothing special. No more then the average person going to and from work on a daily basis. We have young men and women overseas, coming home amputees, mentally much more challenged then prior to leaving, giving their all. In some cases, giving life itself for this country and its beliefs. And this is where I get SO upset. To me....and maybe this is a biased opinion...but those are the people who should be in the news DAILY. Those are the hero's. Those are the one that we should be thanking DAILY (not just on a day when we are "supposed" to).
Yet, what do we see??? The CIA arguing whether or not Pelosi saw the memo's cause we are worrying ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT WE "TORTURED" a captured militant????? Give me 30 mins with one and I promise you, you can and will yell torture afterwards.
I see OBAMA steadily APOLOGIZING for the "wrongs" and "sins" of our past????
He needs to be apologizing to the parents and family members of our current members who are giving so much, instead of worrying whether or not he BOWED far enough to a SAUDI prince.
I see the left continually blaming BUSH for ALL of our current problems (yet THEY HAVE THE POWER TO PULL OUR YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN HOME ), as they promised in their road to the white house...and NOTHING.
(although let me make it clear I believe we have a responsibility over there).
I see Obama talking about having one on one discussions with the Iranian president....while Ineedadinnerjacket laughs in his face saying the nuclear options are off the table. I am not even gonna begin to talk about N Korea and how they are laughing at us... Yet our young men and women are dying for a cause? I have to question...WHAT CAUSE???? I know why I believe they are there. Its the values and freedoms we hold that they fight for.
Apologies???
Sins????
Bows????

I apologize for getting a little emotional and venting here but I just find it sad that for some, it seems as though we forgot what is REALLY important. As long as we have our men and women over there dying...and sorry light as I know this seems its at you....BUT I WOULD HAVE THEM DIE A THOUSAND FOLD. Torture??? YOU bet ya!!!!!! We would not have to be going back and forth about who knew what, when they knew...and how much. The world would know. And sorry...but I wouldnt give a rats azz about what the worlds headlines in berlin read tomorrow...

JustRalph
05-26-2009, 07:59 AM

you can't pick and choose when you serve. Just because there was no "action" during your service doesn't change things. I never had to shoot anybody. But I did my time...........you're a vet as much as anybody. You were there, able and ready. That is what counts.

You have that Honorable Discharge. You are a Vet in good standing. :ThmbUp:

rrbauer
05-26-2009, 08:23 AM
6 years, 3 weeks and 4 days active duty, USN. I have NEVER belonged to a political party. After religion who needs something else to divide this country (and world)?

BlueShoe
05-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Am one time long ago former USN enlisted.Made 2nd class (E5).During 'Nam ran into many leftists that very reluctantly joined the Navy or Air Force only because they thought that it would be safer than geting drafted and ending up in the jungle getting shot at by the VC.Most of these guys were just bad sailors,plain and simple.They bitched constantly,were lazy,and were a disiplinary problem.They went awol and,in a group with a tradition of heavy drinking,often had drinking and drug problems.In short,many of them were just general f--- ups.Give me a bunch of right wing extremists every time for any military unit,and leave the libs home.

boxcar
05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm a hunchback. I lean forward.

And not a Vet.

Easily remedied: Get yourself an inversion table so you can lean back. The rush of blood to the brain might do you some good, too. :D

Boxcar

boxcar
05-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Isn't it amazing that to them, the ENTIRE world is simply Black and White.

Precisely the same way you view it; but you're so self-deceived you cannot see it.

Boxcar

cj's dad
05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Precisely the same way you view it; but you're so self-deceived you cannot see it.

Boxcar

I'd love to hear his take on 9-11 !!

chickenhead
05-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Easily remedied: Get yourself an inversion table so you can lean back. The rush of blood to the brain might do you some good, too. :D

Boxcar

I suspect you of being a veteran of the Japanese Army with this kind of unprovoked suprise attack -- you can thank your emporer I'm in a sunny mood, any other day and you could expect much the same fate as your sneaky brethren of old.

46zilzal
05-26-2009, 04:48 PM
I'd love to hear his take on 9-11 !!
You mean the day that the CIA lead a coup in South America?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Chilean_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

cj's dad
05-26-2009, 05:09 PM

No, the same day that your PLO friends and their children were celebrating in the streets

boxcar
05-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I suspect you of being a veteran of the Japanese Army with this kind of unprovoked suprise attack -- you can thank your emporer I'm in a sunny mood, any other day and you could expect much the same fate as your sneaky brethren of old.

Ahh..so a little ribbing is an "unprovoked suprise attack" (sic) now? Well...maybe that inversion table would do you some good and you'll eventually surprise us all some day with a new-found sense of humor.

Boxcar
P.S. And I'll be sure to explain your humor-impaired situation to my "emporer" (sic) in the hopes that he'll call off his samurai and thus save your head.

chickenhead
05-26-2009, 05:24 PM
you'll eventually surprise us all some day with a new-found sense of humor.

Sheesh, finding a way to accuse you of being on the wrong side of WWII is pretty damn inspired if you ask me. I thought it was hilarious.

Way funnier than you criticizing my spelling.

boxcar
05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Sheesh, finding a way to accuse you of being on the wrong side of WWII is pretty damn inspired if you ask me. I thought it was hilarious.

Way funnier than you criticizing my spelling.

Not only are you humor-impaired, but what little you think you have is well...not humorous. Sorry. :(

Boxcar
P.S. But don't despair. At least it's a positive sign that you think you have one.

riskman
05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Am one time long ago former USN enlisted.Made 2nd class (E5).During 'Nam ran into many leftists that very reluctantly joined the Navy or Air Force only because they thought that it would be safer than geting drafted and ending up in the jungle getting shot at by the VC.Most of these guys were just bad sailors,plain and simple.They bitched constantly,were lazy,and were a disiplinary problem.They went awol and,in a group with a tradition of heavy drinking,often had drinking and drug problems.In short,many of them were just general f--- ups.Give me a bunch of right wing extremists every time for any military unit,and leave the libs home.

So during the Viet War the eighteen,nineteen and twenty year olds already had a political philosophy Left, Right, Dem. Rep and sought out the Navy and Air Force which had a four year enlistment to avoid combat in Vietnam. First, notice that the men who wanted to send our kids to die in Iraq managed to avoid going to Vietnam. Bush was of military age during Vietnam, but he sat out the war in the Air National Guard. The Guard was then a common way of avoiding combat. Bush could do it because he was a rich kid who went to Yale, and his family had connections. Cheney, also of military age during Vietnam, also didn't go. Why? When asked by the press, he said, "I had other priorities." In other words, he was too important to risk his precious self overseas.

When you are nineteen or twenty years old, full of piss and vinegar, you are just starting to know the world. Which means that you don't yet know it, you are not leaning left or right, , Democrat or Republican when you are thinking of joining the military. I am sure some joined the Navy or Air Force to avoid ground combat duty but for the most part it was no guarantee that you had a ticket home.

chickenhead
05-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Not only are you humor-impaired, but what little you think you have is well...not humorous. Sorry. :(

Boxcar
P.S. But don't despair. At least it's a positive sign that you think you have one.

I'll give up my attempts at humor, you give up your crazy bible rants. Deal?

(audible PA-wide gasp of hopeful anticipation)

BlueShoe
05-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Bush was of military age during Vietnam, but he sat out the war in the Air National Guard. The Guard was then a common way of avoiding combat. Bush could do it because he was a rich kid who went to Yale, and his family had connections. Cheney, also of military age during Vietnam, also didn't go.

When you are nineteen or twenty years old, full of piss and vinegar, you are just starting to know the world. Which means that you don't yet know it, you are not leaning left or right, , Democrat or Republican when you are thinking of joining the military. I am sure some joined the Navy or Air Force to avoid ground combat duty but for the most part it was no guarantee that you had a ticket home.

So now Vietnam was all Bush and Cheneys fault?Some of you guys just never let go,do you?As for the ages,many of the screwups that I mentioned were older,into their 20's,22 or 23,and they sure as hell had some very strong political opinions.I know,we used to go around and around.

cj's dad
05-27-2009, 06:07 PM

Equating what happened in Chile with the death of 3000 innocent Americans is total bs.

Being a canadian now, you are probably a Holocaust non-believer, er I mean a 9/11 "the CIA did it" conspiracy theorist.

46zilzal
05-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Equating what happened in Chile with the death of 3000 innocent Americans is total bs.

Being a canadian now, you are probably a Holocaust non-believer, er I mean a 9/11 "the CIA did it" conspiracy theorist.
Operation FUBELT read all about it. Typcial of the freindly dictators placed all around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_FUBELT

The Judge
05-28-2009, 09:38 AM
the last WAR was in 1941. Everything else has been the result of a few paranoid gentlemen getting together in the White House and deciding for the Nation to attack West TY WA Ty to stop communism or South Bono Bano to free the people from the tyrant they ELECTED. Some have even been accused of starting these military actions to get a boost in the polls for upcoming election and just used communism and tyrants as an excuse.

The Veterans I know don't go around saying "good job and puffing their chests out" down inside they know fighting these types of actions weren't what they "took the step" for and had very little to do with honor and bravery. All they can say is they "followed orders" which many regret having done. These are primarily Viet Nam Vets.

I can't see why the newer Vets would feel any different after fighting a war that never should have been started in the first place. Now their friends are dead, they are lame,disfigured, and otherwise wounded. They come home to no jobs as a matter of fact as soon as the smoke clears their jobs will be sent to the country they just got though saving or fighting or what ever they were doing over there. I can only hope the health care of Vets has improved especially the mental health part.

The country they left, Iran "is it better for them having been there" who knows? Those in power are better off, those out of power "not so much". Have they been presented with the "bill" yet? Lets see how they all feel when they get the final tally.

What victory can they claim? The only victory that I see is if one is still alive.
Why do you think enrollment is down even when the economy is in the tank?

When those in power get tried or money gets short or public opinion changes,they will find common ground and stop for a breather they will claim WE WON and thank the proud men and women in uniform who gave so much .

Don't worry those who missed out will be given a chance to participate somewhere else without a declaration of war. Only this time it will be different it will be to free the ROY E ROYS from Real Bad Communism and a Real Mean Tyrant. Fight on brave Soldiers fight on.

Tom
05-28-2009, 10:40 AM
When you are getting shot at, it's a war.

The Judge
05-28-2009, 11:21 AM
is going to have citizens sons and daughters in harms way while their children soak up a few rays , go to frat parties or head to Wall Street one would think the least that could be done is make it Constitutionally legal.

mostpost
05-28-2009, 11:43 AM
So the lefties joined the navy because they didn't like being shot at. But, you joined the navy because? You liked water?

cj's dad
05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
So the lefties joined the navy because they didn't like being shot at. But, you joined the navy because? You liked water?

Being from that era, I can attest that many young man joined the Navy and AF to get out of jungle duty. As a shipyard worker in the late 60's and 70's, I can also attest that there were serious discipline problems on board USN ships that came into the yard for a "shave and a haircut" (7-10 days) as the quick turnarounds were known.

Failure to properly dress, salute, etc... were commonplace as was the general lack of military decorum. It was, as BlueShoe attests, a serious problem.
I doubt they were all lefties but then again he would know better than I.

Warren Henry
05-28-2009, 01:23 PM
In 1965, at age 22, I flunked out of my second college (couldn't be bothered with studying or attending class). I also lost a job that might have allowed me to avoid the draft (didn't bother to show up for work several days in a row during probationary employment period - fired one day before being eligible to join the union - DUH).

Since it was fairly obvious that the draft loomed, I began to visit the local military recuiters. All but one told me wonderful stories about the type of duty I would likely enjoy (not involving jungles), but they wouldn't guarantee that the stories would come to pass. The lone exception was the Marine recruiter who would only promise that I would hate boot camp and would likely go to Vietnam. Given that I was likely to see Vietnam regardless, I enlisted in the Marines because I believed that I would be better prepared, and that they were less likely to leave a casualty on the battlefield. Thus, I ended up as a Marine - mostly for reasons of self preservation rather than raging patriotism.

During my association with the organization, I worked with two distinctly different types of people. The first type showed up, did their jobs without too much complaining, took responsibility for their own actions, and tended to lean right politically. The second type spent more time trying to avoid their jobs than they did working, complained constantly, acted like victims, and tended to lean left politically. The first type got more recognition and faster promotions. The second type thought that their lack of success was due to some sort of discrimination.

Just reporting what I saw, Sir.

BlueShoe
05-28-2009, 01:26 PM
But, you joined the navy because? You liked water?

My military obligation was over when the Vietnam conflict erupted."Nam was my second hitch;I had what is called broken service.During the first hitch the major threat to the Navy was the 300 operational submarines that the Soviets could have unleashed on us in the event of war.Five years after the end of my first hitch ended I re-enlisted.My motives were idealism,patriotism,and a fanatic hatred of the Communist world.Could have just stayed home and plugged away at the job I disliked,but did not.At the time it was unknown just how safe or unsafe naval service would be.Our ships in the Tonkin Gulf were within easy air strike range of North Vietnamese air fields;we were always on alert for the strikes that did not come.To this day do not know why they never hit us in strength.We were also very close to Hainan Island,loaded with Chinese military installations.We did not know if the ChiComs or even the Soviets were going to jump in.And yes,I do like water.During my Navy time I visited places that I would never have seen on my own.

46zilzal
05-28-2009, 01:31 PM
.My motives were idealism,patriotism,and a fanatic hatred of the Communist world..

You live, today, in the right place then

mostpost
05-28-2009, 02:23 PM
My military obligation was over when the Vietnam conflict erupted."Nam was my second hitch;I had what is called broken service.During the first hitch the major threat to the Navy was the 300 operational submarines that the Soviets could have unleashed on us in the event of war.Five years after the end of my first hitch ended I re-enlisted.My motives were idealism,patriotism,and a fanatic hatred of the Communist world.Could have just stayed home and plugged away at the job I disliked,but did not.At the time it was unknown just how safe or unsafe naval service would be.Our ships in the Tonkin Gulf were within easy air strike range of North Vietnamese air fields;we were always on alert for the strikes that did not come.To this day do not know why they never hit us in strength.We were also very close to Hainan Island,loaded with Chinese military installations.We did not know if the ChiComs or even the Soviets were going to jump in.And yes,I do like water.During my Navy time I visited places that I would never have seen on my own.

You did your duty and you are to be commended for that . My objection is to your lumping all lefties in the same group. During my two years in the army I noticed no correlation between political philosophy and the ability to screw up. As for myself, I had a difficult time with the physical aspects of basic training. (Probably why they never sent me to a combat area.) Once out of basic, I spent most of my time in Korea. I made every promotion in the minimum time required, never got in any trouble and was honorably discharged as an E-5. I think there were probably one or two other lefties who can say the same.

cj's dad
05-28-2009, 06:11 PM
You live, today, in the right place then

Your total ignorance and your hatred of America never stops does it ??

I'm convinced more than ever that you had no choice but to leave or be locked up for whatever reason. Had you left voluntarily, you would have not attained this level of hate.

46zilzal
05-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Your total ignorance and your hatred of America never stops does it ??

I'm convinced more than ever that you had no choice but to leave or be locked up for whatever reason. Had you left voluntarily, you would have not attained this level of hate.
I grew in in Orange County the RIGHT WING capital of the US and home of the John Birch Society. You know nothing of what I have years of experience with. This fellow lives in the heart of that area.

BlueShoe
05-29-2009, 12:43 AM
I grew in in Orange County the RIGHT WING capital of the US and home of the John Birch Society. You know nothing of what I have years of experience with. This fellow lives in the heart of that area.

Wish you were still correct,but alas,you described something that never really existed,although the Orange County of 40 years ago was a bit closer to that image.As I have mentioned before in this forum,my intentions are to leave SoCal in the not too distant future.It is because that older,straight,conservative white people have become overun with hordes of immigrants,both legal and illegal,and polticians with far left Socialist ideology have taken control of the state,and,to a lesser extent,the county.

Tom
05-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Next to zilly, Karl Marx is to the right. :D