PDA

View Full Version : Gimmick Or Not Race Conditions

PrairieMeadows
05-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Every year we have a couple unique races at the last day of the the meet. We are looking to extend this concept on July 18th of this year. We have looked at some of the extreme days, and conditions other tracks of done. Any condition you would like to see? Any thoughts in general?

Currently we are looking at the following:

July 25th Overnight Races of Interest

Bob Umphrey’s Turnthepage
Purse $34,000. For Three Year Olds And Upward.
Three Year Olds 112 lbs. Older 116 lbs.
CLAIMING PRICE $4,000 For Each $1,000 Higher In Claiming Price Up To $20,000 An Additional 2lbs.
TWO MILES

The Pat Codner
Purse $30,000. For Three Year Olds and Upward.
Three Year Olds 119 lbs. Older 124lbs.
Non-winners Of A Race In 30 days 3 lbs.
(Races Where Entered for $12,500 Or Less Not Considered)
TWO FURLONGS

The Hard Knock Life
Purse $12,500 For Fillies and Mares Three Year Olds and Upward Which Have Started At Least Three Times At The Current Meet And Have Not Finished First, Second or Third Since April 24, 2009.
Three Year Olds 119 lbs. Older 124 lbs.
Horses Which Have Started Not Started For More Than $5,000 Or Less In 30 Days 3lbs.
Horses Which Have Started Not Started For More Than $5,000 Or Less In 60 Days 6lbs.
CLAIMING PRICE $5,000
ONE MILE SEVENTY YARDS

It’s Over Rover
Purse $12,500 For Three Year Olds and Upward Which Have Started At Least Three Times At The Current Meet And Have Not Finished First, Second or Third Since April 24, 2009.
Three Year Olds 119 lbs. Older 124 lbs.
Horses Which Have Started Not Started For More Than $5,000 In 30 Days 3lbs.
Horses Which Have Started Not Started For More Than $5,000 In 60 Days 6lbs.
CLAIMING PRICE $5,000
ONE MILE SEVENTY YARDS

stu
05-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I like The Methuselah that has been run at Calder -- restricted to 7yo +, the Grey Ghost that has been run at Meadowlands -- restricted to greys and roans, the King George run at Calder -- run clockwise, and the Rocking Chair Derby run at Del Mar -- restricted to retired jockeys.

kenwoodallpromos
05-25-2009, 02:46 PM
WOW! talk about fresh horses!LOL!!
Yes, suggestions- 1 race in which all entrants have the same grandsire or damsire.
Race in which there is a special pool= for an everyday bet (feature or all races), payout if longest regular win pool longshot wins, with carryover. Last day of meet, payoff for betting longest shot regardless of who wins, from special pool.
For a bet that one day, longshot pool is in every race, longshot pay off in last race of day special pool, regardless of who wins.
For jockeys on that day- black whips for black horses, brown whips for brown horses, white whips for white horses or legal color closest!

postpicker
05-25-2009, 03:44 PM
How about a maiden race where a horse cannot have finished in the money at the meet and the jockeys to ride in the race are picked from a hat at post time, with the top 5 leading jocks not eligible to ride.

MONEY
05-25-2009, 04:18 PM
I like less restrictions in order to get full fields.
How about a claimer/allowance for any horse that has run & not won during the meet, and has not competed in a handicap or a stakes race.

Also, I bet at Sam Houston & can not bet $1.00 exacta part wheels at your track.
They have told me it is because you don't allow it.
Right now I only bet win & dds at Prairie Meadows, so I only look at the 1st 2 & the last 2 races. If you start allowing $1.00 ex. wheels, I'll have a reason to look at the other races.
money

macguy
05-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Those are some neat ideas...

I personally prefer races that reward horsemen.

-My favorites are the marathon races (anything more than 1.5 miles).
-Races for older horses (6 or 7 year olds and up).
-Races where solid claiming horses get to run for a bigger purse than usual (I'm a big fan of CBYs Claiming Crown.)

I don't like the idea of the short races, I like to refer to the 2f races at FE as the "Crack Cocaine" purses. They really do nothing positive for horse racing.

MNslappy
05-25-2009, 10:02 PM
CBY had a maiden claiming race at theirs last year that IIRC featured horses who all had at least 20 lifetime starts with no wins.

Run Nicholas Run
05-25-2009, 10:14 PM
How about a maiden race where a horse cannot have finished in the money at the meet and the jockeys to ride in the race are picked from a hat at post time, with the top 5 leading jocks not eligible to ride.

I was thinking the same using jockeys but
how about if the riders have an average of 3 mounts
per racing day with a win percentage of less than 9.

BombsAway Bob
05-26-2009, 12:29 AM
"The Less than Super" Starter Stakes... open to Any horse that has run for a claiming price of (insert $$ here) in the past 12 months and has not finished 1-2-3-4... gives owners a check that need one, & unique handicapping situation.

wisconsin
05-26-2009, 10:13 AM

I love these ideas, goofy and gimmicky races. You could call yours the "Bombs Away Purse"

PrairieMeadows
05-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Regarding the $1 Exs.

Our mutuels guy spoke with thier guy, and some other guy. The bottom line is that there was a computer error, and they sorted it out.

You should now be able to bet $1 exactas at SAM on PRM. And we hope that you do.

Thank you for calling this to our attention.

PM

onefast99
05-26-2009, 10:46 AM
The Mothballs Handicap
A starter allowance for horses who have not raced at the current meet 3yo's and up 25k purse conditions as follows, nw3l, horse must not have raced at the current meet, gate scratches or vet scratches not eligible, horses who have won in the past 6 months 122lbs non winner past 12 months 117lbs, horses must be stabled at the track and could not of run at any other track since the meet began. Non winner of a starter in past 12 months. Distance 6f. A trophy to be presented to the winning connections.

startngate
05-26-2009, 10:51 AM
The Mothballs Handicap
A starter allowance for horses who have not raced at the current meet 3yo's and up 25k purse conditions as follows, nw3l, horse must not have raced at the current meet, gate scratches or vet scratches not eligible, horses who have won in the past 6 months 122lbs non winner past 12 months 117lbs, horses must be stabled at the track and could not of run at any other track since the meet began. Non winner of a starter in past 12 months. Distance 6f. A trophy to be presented to the winning connections.Why reward an owner who has taken up stable space but not run at your track?

In California they would have to split this race so many times they could card an entire day's worth of these.