PDA

View Full Version : Should firsters have 'training races'?

Imriledup
05-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I remember the Fair Grounds used to have 'training races' in the mornings. Every firster was forced to run in a training race against other horses. I'm not sure if this goes on anymore, but it used to go on a few years ago.

Do you feel that first time starters should be in some kind of training race that the public can view? Or, do you think that horses could train at some off beat farm (SLR comes to mind in So Cal) where there are no clockers 'eyes' and no clocker reports to speak of?

Saratoga_Mike
05-24-2009, 11:08 AM
I remember the Fair Grounds used to have 'training races' in the mornings. Every firster was forced to run in a training race against other horses. I'm not sure if this goes on anymore, but it used to go on a few years ago.

Do you feel that first time starters should be in some kind of training race that the public can view? Or, do you think that horses could train at some off beat farm (SLR comes to mind in So Cal) where there are no clockers 'eyes' and no clocker reports to speak of?

Harness horses are required to race in qualifying races before they make their first start, giving the betting public much more insight into their abilities than mere published works. Then again, t'breds are more fragile than standardbreds, so I'm not sure owners/trainers would support "wasting" a race on such an event. Interesting idea, though.

Imriledup
05-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Harness horses are required to race in qualifying races before they make their first start, giving the betting public much more insight into their abilities than mere published works. Then again, t'breds are more fragile than standardbreds, so I'm not sure owners/trainers would support "wasting" a race on such an event. Interesting idea, though.

From my memory, the training races were similar to 'in company' workouts. There was no requirement to urge your horse, so the only difference between training races and workouts was the slight possibility that your horse could get bumped out of the gate.

Owners don't like these races because they want to 'hide' their firster so they can bet.

Saratoga_Mike
05-24-2009, 11:21 AM
From my memory, the training races were similar to 'in company' workouts. There was no requirement to urge your horse, so the only difference between training races and workouts was the slight possibility that your horse could get bumped out of the gate.

Owners don't like these races because they want to 'hide' their firster so they can bet.

Got it - much less strenuous than a qualifying race for a harness horse.

Mineshaft
05-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Yessssssssssss

Dick Powell
05-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I loved the training races at the Fair Grounds. We put analysis and video on the web site for all to see but you could still get juicy odds on horses that ran well in them. You also got a good idea of how they break away from the gate and how they finish. They became more and more unpopular with the horsemen and were eventually dropped. NYRA used to have the Wait Trials at Oklahoma where you could see first hand how young horses were coming along.

Imriledup
05-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Got it - much less strenuous than a qualifying race for a harness horse.

I'm not sure if there was a time standard on the Tr races at FG. I know in harness racing there is a time standard, but i don't know if the FG horses had to make a certain time.

lamboguy
05-24-2009, 09:39 PM

they still have bush races in ocala where you don't have to give the name of your horse, i heard they have them in south carolina as well.