PDA

View Full Version : Track question: Belmont versus Pimlico

WinterTriangle
05-23-2009, 09:06 PM
I have never been to Pimlico, and was at Belmont once 15 years ago. I know that unless you have scooped up some of that dirt in your hand, like I do at Oaklawn, it's hard to imagine. At OP when it gets sloppy, you sort of have to scrape the mud off silks and off the horse. :)

I was under the impression that Pimlico is nowhere near as deep and tiring as Big Sandy.

....That Pimlico is more like Churchill.......somewhat speedy with sharp turns...as opposed to Belmont's sweeping turns and deep, loose, sandy surface.

I've also heard a few jockeys/trainers say that you can actually get away with not running a work over Pimlico, because it's safe and fair and not too many horses have trouble running over it.

I have also read that Belmont leg of the TC is the most grueling. Is this only because it is a longer race, or because the actual track itself is more tiring, or a combination of both?

Can ya'll educate me on the Belmont track and also the difference between it and CDX and PIM.?

Run Nicholas Run
05-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Belmont is more sandy than most but
can still get very fast when the maintenence
crew gets to work.
Usually the rail is deep as you see alot of horses
who win about 3 paths out.
Closers use the "balcony move".

As for the belmont stakes itself
its a combo of both the track and distance
making it a grueling challenge.
Most of the "ny" horses have an edge.

fmhealth
05-24-2009, 01:22 AM
There's a reason why no horse has ever won the TC without a previous race over the Belmont strip.

fmolf
05-24-2009, 07:49 AM
There's a reason why no horse has ever won the TC without a previous race over the Belmont strip.
belmont is definitely a horse for course track....wide sweeping turns 1 1/2 mile oval....sandy loam racing surface....horses either like it or hate it

joanied
05-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey WinterT....I actually have some of Belmont's 'sand' in a bottle...sits on my desk near the puter:)

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2009, 08:30 PM
There's a reason why no horse has ever won the TC without a previous race over the Belmont strip.Yes, it's called small sample size.