PDA

View Full Version : If I download BRIS PP's & Result Files to MS Excel...

Wizard of Odds
05-23-2009, 09:03 PM
...then, what are the definitions for each column?

...is there a better place to the download the info?

Tom
05-23-2009, 11:00 PM
This is the structure for all the various files.......

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=structures

raybo
05-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Unless you are using Excel 2007 you must use a parser in order to download all the data in the PPs.

raybo
05-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I might add that, even if you use Excel 2007, referencing the data will be a real bear without first organizing the data with a parser. Infotran will do this and is available free from Brisnet.

BIG49010
05-24-2009, 10:45 AM
You can also use the Mult-file DRF which is cut into 4 parts with older versions of Excel

raybo
05-24-2009, 11:56 AM
You can also use the Mult-file DRF which is cut into 4 parts with older versions of Excel

I've wondered what the multifile format looks like when you simply open it in Excel. Never downloaded one to find out. Using Infotran and organizing the .drf or .mcp data, prior to opening it in Excel, has simplified the referencing of the data, in my own experience. I've opened a single file format in Excel 2007 and, omg, what a mess it looked like! The past races, for example, have all the data categories listed horizontally so creating something that looks like the printed DRF would be a real bear, due to not being able to simply copy the referencing formulas for the 1st horse and then simply pasting them down the sheet for all the other horses. I copied and pasted the 1st horses formulas down the sheet, allowing for as many as 20 horses per race. It was much simpler that way. With the data listed horizontally, to create a "vertical" looking spreadsheet, you would have to write formulas for every piece of data for every horse. What a pain!!!!!

Profiler8
05-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Hello,

I have downloaded Infotran from Brisnet. Now I have some problems to using it. Is there a help guide ? What is a control and target file ?

Thanks...

Greetings
Tim

raybo
05-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Hello,

I have downloaded Infotran from Brisnet. Now I have some problems to using it. Is there a help guide ? What is a control and target file ?

Thanks...

Greetings
Tim

The control file is a text file you create listing the data fields you want, in the order you want them to appear in Excel. I can send you what I use but I don't use all the data that is in the raw data file from Bris. Basically, you list the field number that you want to appear first followed by a "," then you can type in a description of what the data is, like "Horse's name", "Race number", "Track name" etc. Then you hit enter to get to the next line and enter the field number for the data you want to appear next, followed by a "," then the description, etc. If you enter "-1," a blank field will appear. If you enter "-111," the previous data will "print" and you will then start a new record (or row in Excel).

The "target file" is also a text file that you create but it's just a blank text file when you create it. It will contain the organized data from the "control file" when you run the program. Once the organized data is in the "target file" you simply open the "target file" in Excel, go through the data formatting wizard from Excel then simply copy and paste the resulting Excel data into your Excel handicapping spreadsheet. Most of this stuff can be automated with macros so all you have to do is run Infotran to get the data into the "target file" then just click a macro button, in your handicapping spreadsheet, and it will go get the "target file" data, format it, and copy and paste it into your spreadsheet. I have written explanations for using Infotran that are more complete, if you need them. Just holler and I'll send them to you along with a copy of my "control file" which you can modify as you wish.

Profiler8
05-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks ! I will try it ! :-)

Rferguson
05-24-2009, 05:46 PM
There should be some software out there a lot easier to use than infotran. Years ago there was a program called "drf parse" :) that did a great job, but bris added some fields and it doesn't work anymore. Sure would be nice if some programmer out there would come up with someting like that program.

Wizard of Odds
05-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Of course, the ideal would be an easy and free parser that would nicely export into Excel or another environment where it's easy to see and manipulate the data...

Thanks again

raybo
05-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Of course, the ideal would be an easy and free parser that would nicely export into Excel or another environment where it's easy to see and manipulate the data...

Thanks again

A windows based, rather than DOS based, add-on for Excel would be great. Creating the control file isn't hard once you understand how it works. But having to type in the name of the control file, source file, target file, etc., into a DOS program is a little antiquated for this day and age.

raybo
05-25-2009, 10:26 PM
If anyone wants to look at my control file I'd be happy to send it to you. You can look it over and I'll send some explanation on how it works so you can modify it if you need to. I'll also send instructions for running Infotran's "ITF.exe" file which is the .exe file that does all the work. Also, I'll send you instructions on how to import the resulting "target file" into Excel. PM me with an email address if you want this info.

Wizard of Odds
05-25-2009, 10:44 PM
If anyone wants to look at my control file I'd be happy to send it to you. You can look it over and I'll send some explanation on how it works so you can modify it if you need to. I'll also send instructions for running Infotran's "ITF.exe" file which is the .exe file that does all the work. Also, I'll send you instructions on how to import the resulting "target file" into Excel. PM me with an email address if you want this info.

Warren Henry
05-25-2009, 11:02 PM
There should be some software out there a lot easier to use than infotran. Years ago there was a program called "drf parse" :) that did a great job, but bris added some fields and it doesn't work anymore. Sure would be nice if some programmer out there would come up with someting like that program.

I heard of this program years ago, but turned up my nose at it because I had written my own. However, the one I did is no longer suitable.

How can one get a copy of that program? Who provided it? What language was it written in? Does anyone have the documentation for this program?

If the source were available, it should be easier to modify the existing program than to start from scratch.

Rferguson
05-25-2009, 11:14 PM
It was Missing Link and it was so much simpler to use than Infotran, but as I said bris added serveral fields so it doesn't work anymore and I see that the missing link site hasn't been updated for serveral years and I must have thrown my old disk away. Maybe somebody has one and it could me modified.
I hope so.
Ron F

Warren Henry
05-25-2009, 11:38 PM
It was Missing Link and it was so much simpler to use than Infotran, but as I said bris added serveral fields so it doesn't work anymore and I see that the missing link site hasn't been updated for serveral years and I must have thrown my old disk away. Maybe somebody has one and it could me modified.
I hope so.
Ron F
:lol: :lol: Years ago, the fella that ran Missing Link ripped off some of my software. He denied it, but parts of his instruction manual read word for word the same as mine. He also used a special BRIS data file that was built to my specifications (I had the first data download program using BRIS data).

I wasn't able to get much traction with my claims of foul as BRIS wanted to give away software and I was opposed to the idea (since they wouldn't let me audit the books to insure I got the agreed upon cut). The fact that my software was a pretty straight implementation one of Larry Voegele's printed systems which was a direct rip from Fred Davis' Percentages and Probabilities kept me from pursuing legal action. Also the fact that the software had pretty well run its course.

Still, it would be supreme irony for me to modify Dennis' parser and give it to anyone interested.